La Petite Margaux Merlot, CGC, CD (the rescue dog)

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

La Petite Margaux Merlot, CGC, CD (the rescue dog)

Postby Rhonda » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:06 am

I had to pass this on...

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 14:42:48 -0700
Subject: La Petite Margaux Merlot, CGC, CD!

Just got home from the Wine Country show/trial in Napa...my little rescue Merlot earned the third leg of her CD today with a 189.5 and a fourth place. It was a little scary when I started out on the heel off lead and her nose wasn't to be seen, I just knew she was still sitting at the start line, but she was there...just no sit on the halt...which is better than usual 'cause when she gets stressed there is no sit nowhere! The sit stay had her air scenting the whole time...and checking for flying bugs, and I just knew she would leave me...but she made the whole minute...those are long minutes! And on the down, she put her head between her paws and I thought, "yes, we are going to be ok" and then whatever was in the air came wafting by again and the head came up. She later turned toward the dog next to her, a big Golden that had been staring at her...and as soon as Merlot made eye contact, she turned away..."what I don't see won't hurt me" and then went back to checking the air!

She made her three minutes and I am soooo proud of the little rescue that knew nothing, not even her name, when I brought her home except to run off any chance she got, not return and snap at anyone who reached for her.

Oh yes, she aced the stand for exam and only lost .5 on the recall (slightly crooked sit)...I am just so happy with the little girl, who is exhausted and sleeping under the computer desk.

Helen Marie
Fairfield, CA

Am/Intl/Ntl CH Starline's Magnum Champagne, CGC, UD (8 legs toward the X)
La Petite Margaux Merlot, CGC, (2 legs toward her CD) rescue girl
HelRons A Patchie Orange, CGC, CDX (bridge member 2000 - 14)
Abagale's Mt Willow Misha, CGC, CDX, JH (bridge member 2003 - 14)
Rhonda
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Mike S. » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:20 pm

thats a great story and it is very similar to ours.

rosie had no idea of obedience or how to walk on a leash when we got her from rescue in nov 03.

we enrolled in obedience and started in january of this year. at the end of feb - we passed beginners and moved to intermediate. we go faithfully but dont have alot of time during the week to work with her so we give her the benefit of the doubt sometimes. well, over the last month - she had made tremendous progress - we can actually be a post in a figure 8 test without her diving and wanting to play with other dogs and she has calmed down tremedously when lined up or around other dogs. she is also heeling real well finally.

we have matches at our club every so often and i think rosie will be ready for her first ring test soon (on leash). in our backyard - i can actually "work" her off leash. i would not trust her yet off leash - outside of our yard or in class - just yet.

i am not sure but she is about 1 and 1/2 years and is settling down a bit - is her puppy stage considered "over"?????
Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Obedience