Canine Good Citizenship Test

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Canine Good Citizenship Test

Postby swillow66 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:38 pm

My daughter and I started our new advanced class! :shock: Hopefully in 6 weeks we will be ready for the big CGC test!

They don't call this advanced work for nothing!! :?
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world
swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby hankaroo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Wow! That's great !! :D

Can I ask a question though........how in the heck do you get them to listen during class??? We had our 4th obedience class last night and Hank was HORRIBLE!! He wouldn't listen, he was jumping on me, etc. I don't get it because at home he sits for us in a second and is for the most part is a good boy, but you get him outside and he's a total freak! AARRGG!! Sorry for venting! :oops:

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kathy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:29 pm

Ahhh, we're taking a foster to obedience classes & sometimes he's good and sometimes he's unfocussed. :roll: And sometimes I'm discouraged and sometimes I'm not ... :?

But the humorous part is that our 11 yo Duke can't be bothered really listening to us. But bring out the treats for training the foster & Duke becomes absolutely perfect (sit, stay, down, stay, come ...) ... while the foster is bouncing all over the place. :lol:

-Kathy
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby hankaroo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:38 pm

Daniel took one look at my face when I came home last night and said, "Didn't go so well tonight, huh" :lol: (he was sick at home with a cold, so he got out of going).

It is just soooooo frustrating! To be honest, the only thing that I would really like Hank to master is come.......I couldn't care less if he did anything else (although it would be really nice!). I'm sure part of it has to do with his age (about 13 months) and part of it has to do with inconsistence on our part.

I think I'm going to try not feeding him before class and see if that helps. Maybe he would be more willing to work if he was a little hungry. :?

We only have 3 more classes. I hope he passes! :lol:

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby swillow66 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 pm

This isn't part of the CGC test, but one of the things we should be able to do is have our dogs go into an immediate "down" no matter where we are - park, street, backyard, chasing a bird, etc. My eyes went :shock:

Right now we are trying for across the room, then we will move out to the backyard, then the front yard, then the sidewalk, then the park. If we can do it in the backyard before the end of this session I will be excited!!

He wouldn't listen . . . but you get him outside and he's a total freak
Ha! We started a new class with new dogs, so Riley was really pumped in the beginning. Lots of "watch me" and treats during class. By the middle of class he remembered "it is time to work now" (we hadn't had class since December afterall!)

The bad thing, no treats during the test. Voice command only! Double :shock: :shock:

Not much distraction inside the house, so we do practice a lot when we are outside on our walks. Actually when it is nice, I do a lot of basic training outside or better yet, at the park.

Good luck, I know we will need some!!

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Annie'sRebecca » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:58 pm

Good luck Shelli and Madison and Riley! I know all of that is really tough, but I admire the determination! Annie will start basic obedience in the spring....I can't imagine what you would have to do in an advanced class!

Rebecca, Annie's last obedience class was at a park by our reservoir...canada geese, bikers, kids playing PLUS 2 other classes going on at the same time as ours! Most of the pups in our class were pretty responsive to their owners (dachsunds, labs, goldens, etc...). Annie was sniffing and pointing and SO EXCITED about every little thing going on that I was the last of her concerns. I finally figured out that she'll pay more attention to me if I used string cheese instead of her regular treats she gets at home. Also, I started taking her to places other that just our back yard to practice...different parks, PetsMart, and my parents' front yard. This helped. I also brought her to class about 15 minutes early so she could sniff around and get comfortable with her surroundings BEFORE class started. She was really great at our graduation test and actually stayed in her sit-stay and down-stay for the required 2 minutes!!! Five minutes later she completely ignored me for the down-stay during the 'Top Dog Test' to determine which pup was the best in our class :roll: . Sometimes I think part of it is just their age, and maybe Annie will pay more attention when she is like 5 or 6????
Annie & Rowdy
Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Beth » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:16 pm

I have found that by exercising them before class gets them to pay a little more attention in class. Kind of like taking a kindergartner to the library after eating a Snickers bar and then expecting them to be quiet!!! Also, I have found that the "look" command works wonders and one that is not taught very often. Take the their mostest bestest favoritest treat and put them in a sit. Then with treat in hand, move hand next to eye and give the "look" command. They should immediately focus on you. And get the treat. Make sure you have these special treats and use it only for "look". It has worked wonders in all kinds of situations when you want their attention. I have averted bad dog encounters, people encounters, even prevented running with the look and then down command. Try that and it may help. Although the exercise before hand should help with the fidgeting, gotta be social, what are they doing over there, why do I have to listen bit that you're going through now. Never fear, they do get it with work and consistency...some just take longer than others. Hang in there. I had the class clown too and we were put in the corner too many times to count but I wouldn't trade him for the world!! He also is a good dog and comes when calls, does his sits and stays, etc. So, there is hope!!
Beth
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby swillow66 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:24 pm

Annie'sRebecca wrote
Sometimes I think part of it is just their age, and maybe Annie will pay more attention when she is like 5 or 6????

There are not very many people we know how actually own Britts, but one who does laughed and told me the other day, "we normally wait until they are about 3 before we start our "serious" training!!" :o OH DEAR!

Beth wrote
Take the their mostest bestest favoritest treat and put them in a sit.

We have our "just around the house" treats, "going to the park" treats and "we need to work hard/going to class" treats. Sometimes when someone gives us a sample of dog food, we use those too. Depending how hard we train, I may actually have to cut down on their regular feedings!

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Mike S. » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:29 pm

Rosie came to us wild and out of control at 10 months old. Sometimes I wonder if she ever had a leash on her. This was our first dog training try so we learned right along with Rosie. I remember the first night out in the lot - Rosie literally drug me around the whole place and at no time ever looked up at me to wait for a command. Our instructor and the other club members all wagered that there was no way we would return the next week. Well being resiliant, we did return and boy did it pay off. Yes we had good nights and bad nights but once we learned how to train her and got consistent, she really caught on. Our goal was not to show her (which was the goal of most in the club), so we let little things slide. She passed beginners (10 weeks) on her first try (after many evenings of practice in our backyard), and went to intermediate right away. After a few months in intermediate, we signed up for the CGC and she passed the first time. It was funny that after a few months in intermediate, Rosie became the class example rather than the "class clown". She got good enough to even be a post in the figure eights without trying to ride the bypassing dogs :roll:.

We are not experts at this, but did learn quickly that consistency and patience on your part in VERY important. Rosie still is stubborn so its important to be as stubborn as she is to make her learn.

Very rarely do we allow her off leash outside but from time to time in safe places (school yards etc) we take her off leash and she listens pretty well. She is not perfect and never will be so we never elect to allow her to be loose in and unsafe envirinment.

Rosie also listens to me alot more than Patti, she was so out of control at first, Patti could not handle her so I did. SHe respects me alot more than Patti probably because I did most of the training with her and Patti did (and still does) most of the spoiling. :roll:
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:32 pm

The bad thing, no treats during the test. Voice command only!

Yeah, but as my trainer said when we were doing TDI practice tests…there’s nothing that says you can’t rub hot dogs all over your hands before the test…get some under the finger nails too!

Britty has this whole issue with down…I think it’s just a little painful for her, so she is difficult about it and very slow to down. I used the “hands smell like hotdogs” trick to get her to down fast during the test…she was in a sit, I held my hand right in front of her nose, so she could smell, then lowered it in our down signal…no problem, quick down. She’ll down normally, but she doesn’t like doing it on the concrete floor of the training room, so she knows the skill, just doesn’t like certain surfaces (and my trainer knows that too!). If I expect her to down for long periods, I use “relax” instead, which means flop down on your side and get comfy…we aren’t moving for a while. It’s obeyed every time.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Lisa » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:36 pm

Code: Select all
Can I ask a question though........how in the heck do you get them to listen during class???

LOL! Hate to break it to ya, but you’re just not interesting enough for Hank in the class environment. Some things that I’ve found helpful are to start some obedience drills before leaving home…get him in the mood. Also, if the other dogs are distracting, step back from the rest of the class a bit, to bring the dog’s focus back to you. Teach him something simple like “touch” (nose to hand) and reward that heavily. Then, when he starts being a maniac in class, say in a really happy, high, excited voice, “Hank, touch!!” It’s an easy way to get the dog’s attention, and once it’s focused back on you, get back to work. Or, teach “watch me”…same concept as touch.

Some dogs find sit, heel, down, stay very boring, and when they get bored, they act out. Try teaching a fun trick, and once you’ve done what the trainer asks, get Hank revved up with his trick. For Britty, I taught “whisper” and “touch” and any time we weren’t actively working a particular skill, I’d ask for a whisper or touch. Those are her favorite tricks, so it got her excited, engaged and focused on me. For Buster, I taught “spin” and “touch.” I use touch to get his attention on me, and spin to give him a fun break from the boring stuff.

Buster did basic obedience at just over a year old (like 15 months) and was the class example when working, and the class clown when not...so, I had to keep him "working" the whole time, even if it was just "touch", "spin", repeat. Watch it with spin, though...I did a stupid thing...made Buster spin about 4 or 5 times in a row...he got dizzy and kinda fell in to a sit rather than the heel we were supposed to do! :oops: :oops: :lol:
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby harleygrl1219 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:47 pm

Be patient with Hank. He will come around. Synder started her advanced obedience class last Friday and I NEVER in a million years would have thought we would get out of basic obedience. The first few classes were awful. I thought I had the worst dog. She couldn't stay focused on me. I would leave there crying and frustrated. During her last class of basic obedience Synder got the "Most Improved Dog Award". She really made me proud. Some classes will be good and others will be bad. He will come around though just be patient. :lol:
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby hankaroo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:53 pm

First of all, let me apologize to Riley and Madison for hijacking their thread !! :oops:

Rebecca, great tips--I'll have to try the string cheese. And going to class 15 minutes early is a really good idea.

Beth, the problem is Hank's mostest bestest treat is my arm! :shock: Actually, I shouldn't say that......he has gotten somewhat better at not biting. We've been trying to watch what we give him since we think he might have allergies, but I might have to bite the bullet and get the treats he used to love. Don't remember their name, but man did he gobble them up. He's not too fond of the "all natural" crap we've been giving him lately. :lol:

swillow, WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE 3????? :shock: :lol: Crap, I got a long time! :lol:

Mike S., Rosie cracks me up!! You are correct, I need to work on my patience. This is our first obedience class (well, technically the second if you count our 2 week stint at PetSmart :roll: ) as well as our first dog, so I know I'm expecting wayyyy too much too soon.

Lisa, Hot dogs---hysterical ! :lol:

I just have to hang in there. It's just so hard ! :lol: :lol:

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby hankaroo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:59 pm

harleygrl, sorry I posted before I saw your response. That makes me feel good. I wasn't going to admit that I felt like I had the worst dog in class, but now that you've said it I can too! :lol:

Hi, my name is Rebecca and I have the worst dog in our beginning obedience class........whew........I feel better now! :lol: :lol:

Most improved! That's awesome! Way to go Synder! :D

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:02 pm

So how hard is the CGC? And where to you go to take one? I'm guessing at an obedience trial (is that what they're called)? Please pardon my ignorance. I've been thinking about trying it for ages, just never have gotten around to looking into it. But it sounds like a cool thing to try. Is it basically the dog obeying common commands? Do you have to use specific command words?
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Next

Return to Obedience