Hank's collar came off in a parking lot!

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hank's collar came off in a parking lot!

Postby hankaroo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:27 am

Hank had a very good weekend. We went to the dog park Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday!

Hank's favorite thing now is to run and play in the water. Very ironic since he wouldn't even go near the water when we started taking him there. But, once he get totally soaked (and looks like a drowned rat with that scrawny tail! ) he then proceeds to get in the sand and the mud.

Although he LOVES the water in the pond he freaks out when I try to rinse him off before we leave :roll: . Saturday he was so dirty that you couldn't even see white on his fur! As I'm taking him up to the platform to rinse him off he starts going NUTS......jumping up and down, trying to do flips, anything to get away from that hose. Well, his collar comes off just as a couple of old bitties (sp?) are letting their little brat dog out into the parking lot. My husband and I scream in union "Don't open the gate"!! They turn around (with the gate standing wide open! :evil: ) and look at us like they can't hear (which might be a possibility since they were about 116 years old!). Sure enough Hank runs out the of the gate into the parking lot.

I try to camly call Hank while my husband says he'll wait at the car for him when he shows up (not even going to get into the husband leaving me high and dry! :x ). Luckily all the cars go very slowly through the parking lot. But I was still freaking out. He walked around the perimter of the parking lot in the grass sniffing (shocker!) until he got to the car and then jumped right in. I could have killed him! Thank goodness he didn't run. But, he didn't come when I called either. :evil:

Wanna hear the best part? Our obedince trainer was watching the whole thing and yelled to us "Obedience II starts on the 20th". Dam*** Hank! You got me busted again!! :lol:

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:06 am

I know what you're talking about with the squirming and twisting. Kayla about broke my wrist one day while I was trying to hold her back from following my husband down the driveway. Maybe you could use a leash and/or harnes when you hose him off???? Sorry you got busted.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby hankaroo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:11 am

Cindy wrote:Maybe you could use a leash and/or harnes when you hose him off????

The leash was actually attached to his collar already, but he squirmed out of the whole thing! :shock: Once I get him to the place to hose him off then they have a hook thing that you can attach the leash to, but we never made it that far. :roll:

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Rachelle » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:14 am

It's so scary when they slip out of their collar. Henry pulled that on me this weekend. Went directly to my husband so no major problem. I'm really jealous that you have a place at the park to wash off the mud. We always have to just put the dogs in the car mud and all.
Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby harleygrl1219 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:28 am

I am so glad Hank came back. I always worry about Synder coming out of her collar (she's done it before). I worry that she will break lose and have no id tags on her.

Very funny that your trainer saw you :lol: :lol:
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby hankaroo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:35 am

harleygrl1219 wrote:Very funny that your trainer saw you :lol: :lol:

Not so much! :roll: :lol:

Rachelle, the hoses are very nice (that is, when he lets me get it near him). :)

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Natalie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:40 am

That is so scary! I'm glad it all turned out okay.

Trip has never come out of his collar. I test it often to make sure it won't come off, esp. if we're going somewhere that would be a really bad place for him to slip out of it. I do it by literally by trying my darndest to pull it off over his head and I pull really hard. He usually "chips in" during this and pulls away from me, too, so I'm pretty sure it would stay on. I'm sure he thinks I'm nuts (for lots of reasons besides this :roll: ), but he doesn't seem stressed or upset by the process and I always reward him afterwards so he doesn't think its some sort of punishment. I've named the activity "check your collar" and he seems to understand what's going on. Esp if the collar comes off or almost does - then we get to play the game again. :wink:
Natalie
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lisa » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:46 am

:lol:

Two things for dogs that can back out of their collars: One, get a slip lead for hose-off time. I order a bunch from Pet Edge when I order other stuff....but don't just place an order for those, the shipping costs more than the leads! Two, try a Martingale collar (greyhound collar). Lupine makes really nice ones.

I always use slip leads for bath/hose-off time for both my own dogs and fosters. That way, I can take the collar off and still have control, and I don't have to worry about them trying to pull away from me.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Return to Obedience