Hank's CGC Test Tonight

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hank's CGC Test Tonight

Postby hankaroo » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:59 am

Any last minute words of wisdom??? :lol:

Still not sure how we'll do without treats or how he'll do for stay, but we'll give it a shot. The instructor said that although we can't give treats during the time she is testing us if we "happen" to give treats while others are being tested no one would be the wiser. :lol:

What happens if we don't pass? Can you take it again?

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen L » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:25 am

Just try and stay relaxed yourself and he will do great! I always try to do some quick deep breathing exercises before I go to class - especially for a test. I find she does better if I am not stressed and in a relaxed state. He's gonna do great!

I believe you can request to be tested at a later date but am sure this wont be necessary.
Karen L
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby DelawareBritts » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:01 am

I agree with Karen...be calm and relaxed. Hank will realize that you are uptight...when you are confident, he will be too :) . Also, wear him down...play ball or frisbee something fun then warm him up for about 10 minutes before the test.

I was such a proud Mom when Rosie got her's at 9 months.

Cooper is getting ready for his test. One of the local clubs will be giving it at an agility show and go in late May. But he has trouble with loud noises and gets anxious and insecure...hides behind me. To counter his fear of loud noises, when I feed him, I make loud noises like banging pots and pans and loud music while he is eating. So far, so good. This is the only test item he is not ready for and I do NOT give up!

Good Luck!!! :D :wink:
I sleep with Brittanys...
DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lisa » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:21 am

Good Luck!!

If Hank is not one of the first few to be tested, step back a bit from everyone else, and go over some stuff he knows well (favorite tricks or something). Don't bore him, keep it fun, but remind him that he's still "working."

That's a trick I learned with Britty...if I didn't keep her at least a little focused on me and "working," then she'd get bored and space out. Then, when it was our turn, she'd just blow me off because she'd decided she was done. As long as I kept her a little engaged by doing simple tricks, she kept her attention to me and was focused.

And yes...if you don't pass, you can take it again. It took Britty two tries...mostly because she wanted to jump on the evaluator and because of her noise phobias.

I still need to get Buster tested sometime!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby hankaroo » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:56 am

Thanks for the encouragement! We'll be fine (I hope :lol: ).

Almost everyone in the class gets there about 30 minutes beforehand and lets the dog run, run, run. That has really helped.

Hank was also afraid of loud noises. He especially hated when the instructor walked by with a plastic chair (like a walker). Last week he sat so calmly as she walked by. She commented to the whole class that everyone did well with that exercise and that Hank was the only one who originally had issues with it. I said "Well, I've been practicing by throwing chairs at Hank all week". I got a couple laughs but some people looked at me like I was crazy. I was just kidding people!!!! :P :lol: I just don't know when to keep my mouth shut. 8)

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:25 am

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do well!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby swillow66 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:52 am

Hank can do it, so can you!

Just remember to have fun and stay calm (RIGHT!)

The only thing my two had a problem with was when I left the room. Not because I left but because they were on opposites sides of the room :shock: :D
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world
swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Annie'sRebecca » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Good luck to you and Hank!!!

Annie and I don't have any CGC wisdom to pass onto you, but we'll be asking for yours if and when we finally take the test ourselves.
I'll leave you with this analogy....
Even if you don't pass your driver's license test the first or second time, doesn't mean you won't be a great driver in the future! (No tickets in 10 years of driving for me! Of course, now that I've bragged about it I'll probably get 3 on my way home from work this afternoon :roll: .)
If Hank doesn't pass this test or his next, you, your husband, and Hank are all happier for knowing all the things you've learned in obedience class. I'm sure y'all can do it, though :!:
Annie & Rowdy
Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby hankaroo » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:57 pm

:lol: :lol: I loved the small "or second" that was hidden in there! :lol: :lol:

Daniel has not gone to any Obedience II classes with us :roll: He said last night "I think I'll go to class with you guys tomorrow night". I said no way sir. You can't just jump in and come to the last class! You can sit at home like you have the last 6 weeks and then wait for us. :lol: And then he wonders why Hank doesn't listen to him as well as he does to me. When will he ever learn? :evil: :)

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen L » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:15 pm

I would not let him pick tonight to randomly show up. My husband does not attend Kaia's classes either and decided one night he would come to watch us. I do not know what got into Kaia but she was a Royal Smarty Pants and refused to do anything. It got so bad that I just decided to sit in the corner and watch the others. The teacher was stunned because she had been doing pretty well up until that point. She told my husband that he was banned from all future classes. :wink:

Good luck again! Can't wait to hear about it tomorrow.
Karen L
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby hankaroo » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:34 pm

That is exactly why I didn't want him to come--he's going to throw off our mojo!!! :lol:

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DelawareBritts » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:31 am

Been thinking about Hank all evening....did he pass?
I sleep with Brittanys...
DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby hankaroo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:34 am

He passed! He passed! He passed! :D

We almost didn't have the test last night. About halfway through the class the instructor asked if we would all be willing to come back next week because she didn't feel like the dogs were ready (they were all super hyper last night!). All of us were ok with that except for one guy. He said he was "too busy to keep coming on Monday nights" :roll: I think we all could have killed him!! So she decided to go through the test and then those who didn't pass could come back next week to take it again.

Hank (along with 2 others) were allowed to do a "modified" stay (I hope there aren't CGC agents trolling that website that will take away his certificate! :lol: ). I put him into a down and then the instructor held onto the leash while I walked away saying stay. She said as long as he doesn't pull on the leash and lays perfectly still than she would pass him. He layed there like a rock! Whew!

Everything else he did well on. What a good boy! I had to laugh this morning though when I took him outside and proceeded to rip the "poop bag" out of my hands, run through the yard, rip it open and had a morning snack. :evil: I guess the certificate doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a good dog all the time, huh? :P :lol:

Thanks for asking!

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Annie'sRebecca » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:42 am

Congratulations Hank and Rebecca!!!! :D
Annie & Rowdy
Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby harleygrl1219 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:03 am