Help! Getting pulled down the street!

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Help! Getting pulled down the street!

Postby ardenchild » Wed May 10, 2006 10:27 pm

Hi there everyone, I need some help with leash training. Have a 6 month old Brittany pup with LOTS of energy. I have been trying and trying without success to get our walk to a point where we both enjoy it and it hasn't happened yet. Jake pulls and pulls to the point where he almost pulled me off my feet two times tonight. I am very frustrated at this point and so is poor Jake. We have taken private lessons...which he is so well behaved for; have tried the halti and the latest is the "Good Dog Collar" (plastic type prong collar) and I just can't get control over him. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you! Heather
ardenchild
Puppy

Postby Lisa » Wed May 10, 2006 10:51 pm

First, welcome to our board!!

Teaching a Brittany to walk on a loose leash seems to be something that lots of owners struggle with. A lot of people on the board have had success with the Easy Walker harness. The metal prong collar is also effective, unless your dog simply chooses to pull through the correction. Personally, I prefer not to use training collars/harnesses/etc., so I teach a heel off leash first, then transition it to the leash.

I use a clicker to train, but you can use a marker word such as yes or good too. I actually shaped the heel by first just walking around the back yard, and every time the dog walked by my left leg, he got a click and treat. After a few repetitions, the dog started sticking right by my left leg, so lots of clicks and treats. Once the dog got the general idea, I only click/treated for the exact position I wanted. Once the dog was walking right where I wanted him, I named the behavior "heel." Once the dog was successfully heeling on command off leash, I attached the leash and gave the command (this method also works great for leash-shy dogs!)

This sounds like it takes a long time, but in all honesty, the dog catches on really quick. I had to do maybe 5-10 reps before the dog figured out where he was roughly supposed to be. Maybe 10-15 more reps before I could name the command. We worked on it for several nights, no more than 5-10 minutes each night. I managed to get a pretty decent loose leash walk in about a week (working on it every night for maybe 10-15 minutes). Once you get that heel solid in one location, take it on the road...dogs don't generalize well, as a rule, so just because a behavior is trained in one place, doesn't mean the dog understands the command in all locations. Practice everywhere you can!

A great book to take a look at is Dawn Jec's Choose to Heel. If you do a web search, you might be able to find a synopsis of her method. You can find the book on www.dogwise.com. Also, here's a web page with lots of suggestions for teaching loose leash walking: http://www.clickersolutions.com/article ... #behaviors
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

leash training

Postby Kathy Knappenberger » Thu May 11, 2006 8:30 am

Heather,

We've been going through many of the same issues with Chewy and it seems like all the pups are getting a little crazy now with springtime and all the critters just get them riled up beyond the point of listening despite the fact that they know how to behave in a "classroom" setting. With Chewy we had to step up to a prong collar since the clicker training method wasn't working well (when he's overstimulated by birds and squirrels he doesn't care about treats or getting clicked). Even with the prong we have to give him a slight tug - he is the first dog we've had that didn't care about the "self-correcting" pinch he gets as he gradually tightens the collar. It will get to the point that without the little pops on the leash he will just pull the prong tight and not care about the fact that it's poking his neck. With the pops, he will be somewhat more controlled, though we still have to frequently correct him to keep him on the loose leash.

The other thing that works well for us is the show lead, partially because we have trained so much with it for the show ring. He pulled on that as well initially, but I quickly became pretty strict with him and didn't walk anywhere with him unless he was not dragging me. We use a thin nylon slip lead that fits right under his chin. Positioning is everything with the show leads as they won't work lower down on the neck.

Let me know if you want to get together sometime to work on it outside in a distracting environment (you can email me at home).

Kathy
Kathy Knappenberger
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby harleygrl1219 » Thu May 11, 2006 9:05 am

Welcome Heather!

I've always had this problem. We completed obedience classes and she did great in the classes and would loose leash walk there but when we are home forget it.... She has pulled me so hard so many times that I thought she would pull my arm out of the socket.

Last weekend I used a harness and it really really helped. It was amazing. I tried other harnesses and they didn't work and I decided to try the harness that has the martingale closure and it has been great.

http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=100612+XS+BLK&Cat=

I really didn't want to use the harness because I didn't like them but Synder didn't mind it at all. It was like she didn't have anything on. She could care less and if she was fine with it, I was going to take full advantage of it. There was no pulling, which meant no choking and coughing. It was truly a pleasure to walk with her.

I do not walk Synder on a leash every day and I think that was a big mistake. She is always running or is on a 75' runner. If I walked her all the time on a leash starting from when she was small, I think she would have gotten used to walking nice on a leash.

Good luck and keep us posted!
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

still pulling!

Postby ardenchild » Mon May 22, 2006 9:20 pm

I think our Jake just doesn't have any nerve endings in his body b/c he seems to feel no pain! He will pull tight with his plastic prong colar on and I know it has to hurt him but he keeps marching on. I walk (or get pulled) every day and it is just the same. When we had the trainer working with him he was an angel. It is almost like he knows he can get away with it w/me and not her.

When I correct Jake in the house for being naughty (I point at him) he always jumps up and tries to nip at my finger or just jump up on me. Not in a mean way but like he is saying "nananana naaaaa naaaa"! I am getting the feeling that he is flexing his muscles and thinks he runs the pack here. I think he may be right...HELP! :oops: :x
ardenchild
Puppy

Postby Lisa » Mon May 22, 2006 11:05 pm

I am getting the feeling that he is flexing his muscles and thinks he runs the pack here. I think he may be right...HELP!

:lol: :lol: Sounds like he's just not sure who the boss really is. I strongly suggest NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) for every dog owner. It's a great way to help a dog understand who the boss is, and to develop a better relationship with your dog. Check here: www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby Barb Wright » Mon May 22, 2006 11:19 pm

Lisa wrote:...Check here: www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm

GREAT site Lisa....hadn't seen that one before.....dogs will hate it :lol: :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby ardenchild » Tue May 23, 2006 6:49 am

great site Lisa, thank you! I will start today. Boy it will be hard not to smooch my pup when he comes over for attention, but I'll be strong and avoid looking in to those big puppy eyes :)
ardenchild
Puppy

Postby Lisa » Tue May 23, 2006 9:37 am

GREAT site Lisa....hadn't seen that one before.....

:lol: Just call me the "link queen!" Whenever someone posts or sends a link I like, I save it in my favorites! Lots of people write so much better than I can, so if there's a site that says what I want, only better, it's worth keeping!
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby jasafar » Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 am

That NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) site is good. I printed it out... maybe we coddle him too much.

Also, I dig the dogster.com site...I'll definitely have to register on that. Very cool!
Mikey & Sammie
jasafar
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby pagecobrittluv » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi Heather-
I'm pretty new here too. I had the same problem with Katie on leash-the puppy trianer I went to tried a Halti-no go, Katie would flip and lay on the ground and not move. Once she stopped laughing at our utter failure on the Halti, she then suggested a harness-Katie just dug at it constantly and woldn't walk. I finally tried a prong and it has worked great. She sees the prong collar now and goes to the door and sits since to her prong=going in the car to someplace good.

I have paired the prong (which after one correction got her to not keep pressure on the leash all the time) with a few tricks. She kind of gets the concept of the heel, or walk as we call it. When we go out to fun places like the park, I let her sniff around for about 5 minutes while I get situated, get my son's snack out on the stroller tray etc. When I am ready I say "Katie walk" and we go. We stop only for potty breaks for her (maybe 2x's a walk) and if my son needs a drink or something. I give her drinks of water after he gets a drink-seperate water container for each :lol: We started this when she was about 5 months-to her I guess it seems that the baby and I determine when a stop is needed and she just goes with the flow. If she pulls or otherwise gives me the stubborn streak-I get off the trail and put her in a sit and tell her to settle (no sniffing or potty-a little like a time out). It seems to get her focused again. I also talk to her a lot. When she is not putting tension on the leash I tell her she is good. If there is tension starting I will do a quick "ah-ah" and she will slow down. She is by no means a perfect walker, but she does well enough for me to walk her with one hand and push the stroller with the other. And that is even when we pass the ducks. If we meet people on the path then I shorten the leash and I was stopping and getting her to sit since she used to jump at everyone and bikes were worse. Now we have moved from the sit to a short leash and me saying "come along Katie" and we just keep going. She may turn and look but no jumps and she just gives a passing glance to the bikes. As soon as we are clear I give a big "good girl Katie" and we keep going. Again-she isn't a perfect walker but she does better than a lot of dogs we meet at the park and I can manage her pretty easily while we get some air so that is the main thing for us. Good luck with Jake.
pagecobrittluv
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

pulling on leash

Postby gail » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:34 pm

I switched to halters for both of my dogs and it seems to give me more control and less pain in my arms for these "pullers." The one dog, a little Houdini, did slip the halter once in two seconds flat upon seeing the bunnies so now I have to rig up a link between the collar and the halter as a safeguard.
gail
Puppy

Re: Help! Getting pulled down the street!

Postby Blane touesnard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 pm

The best way to get a dog to stop pulling is to not let that dog gain any ground while pulling. I recently bought a leash that goes around your waist. My brittany is really strong but if you stand strong with the leash around your waist its like it's tied to a tree. I the call him to me while walking the other direction and praise and sometimes treat. It takes a lot of consistent work and even more patience especially if the dog has been rewarded for a long time for pulling by letting him get where he wants to go by pulling somebody.
Blane touesnard
Puppy

Return to Obedience