Hard time focusing

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Postby adele » Thu May 25, 2006 10:18 am

Mark wrote:Monty is a VERY independant soul, for parts of the day. He takes his job of monitoring the neighborhood cats, squirrels and rabbits, VERY seriously, and you will get a bit of a cross look, should you disturb him from his perch looking out the window. He is VERY intense..

Take ou the word "Monty" and replace it with "Lola".

We also use the "Look" command and she'll look directly into my eyes - she'll do it every time if there is nothing better to look at. Our obedience instructor said to just keep practicing in low distraction areas and up the distraction level gradually. So, we keep at it. Sometimes I think "it'll never get better", then she gets a little better and I'm so proud. A day or two later I think "it'll never get better"...
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kristy » Fri May 26, 2006 11:35 am

That's a great picture of Mikey there. Oh... I'm so jealous wanting a little tri-colored Frenchie. :-)
Riley & Colby
Kristy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby jasafar » Fri May 26, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks again. He's our little tri-color baby. After adopting him, we were almost thinking about BJ, the other tri-color that just got adopted. Eventually I think we'll have to get Mikey a brother or sister... :wink:
Mikey & Sammie
jasafar
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby swillow66 » Fri May 26, 2006 12:19 pm

Eventually I think we'll have to get Mikey a brother or sister...
You are as hopeless as the rest of us!!! :lol: :wink: :lol:

Good luck at training this weekend. Pretty soon you will be earning your CGC too!
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world
swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby jasafar » Fri May 26, 2006 1:49 pm

Hehe... I know having a buddy would be great for him.

The instructor is actually certified to give the CGC test herself, so we'll see how far the 4-lesson package will take us. The instructor has over 17 years worth of training experience and is a CPDT, so I'm feeling good about this.

We are going to concentrate on: Come (with distractions), and loose leash walking. After that, I'm not sure, but we would definitely like him to learn more cool tricks! :D
Mikey & Sammie
jasafar
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Previous

Return to Obedience