Out of Ideas for Tricks

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Out of Ideas for Tricks

Postby meteorologist » Fri May 26, 2006 2:58 pm

So far, Indy can:

Sit, Down, Shake with each hand, crawl, give kisses, roll over, and spin, and jump up. I haven't introduced a new trick in a few weeks, but I want to keep challenging him. I'd really like to teach him to stand, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I read an earlier post where someone mentioned a dog that could stand on it hind legs and kick a soccer ball. I'm not looking for anything that elaborate, but some more challenging trick ideas would be great.
meteorologist
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby wrynn » Fri May 26, 2006 3:26 pm

I trained one of my friend's dogs to sit up, and stay still when he had a treat on his nose. I didn't get to spend enough time on him before she moved to get him to stay until I told him he could eat the treat, but I did get him to stay still with it on his nose for a little. :) He already knew how to sit, lay down and shake paw, getting him to "sit up" without getting his butt up was the tough part, lol. I think he died from bloat (twisted gut?) a few years ago though :(
wrynn
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Fri May 26, 2006 5:13 pm

I like to teach:
"touch" (dog nose to my hand)
"target" (dog nose to an object)
"paws up" (put your paws on whatever I'm pointing to)
"follow" (follow my hand)
"bow"
"whisper"
"speak"

That's all I can think of for now. If you need tips for teaching those, let me know.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Catharina » Fri May 26, 2006 5:14 pm

You might want to scan some of Lisa's old posts for ideas -- it seems to me like Britty has learned to do everything except doing the laundry and using the can opener by now :D .

Things Kibo seems to enjoy are: Giving "High Fives", "Go to your mat", and jumping through a Hoola Hoop.

Kibo, a.k.a. "The Flying Nose"
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Catharina » Fri May 26, 2006 5:15 pm

Hey, looks like Lisa beat me to the post! :lol:
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Bernie's mom » Sat May 27, 2006 11:39 am

ok, I need to know how he crawls and how you teach it?
Bernie can sit, stay, shake, down, sit up (but not on his own, he has to balance on something), roll over, balance a cookie on his nose, and wait. Wait is the best thing we've taught him... I can put a cookie between his paws and tell him to wait and he won't touch it until I say "ok". It's also very useful at meal time; he has to sit and wait while I fill his dish and add a little veggie oil. I can go to the cupboard and put things away and he won't move until I say "ok" and then it's chow time! It's funny because there are times I have to say ok twice cuz he wants to be sure!

Oh, on tv today I saw a dog sit and then he took one paw and put it over his nose, like he was embarrassed, it was so darling... anyone know how to teach that?
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Sat May 27, 2006 11:48 am

ok, I need to know how he crawls and how you teach it?

When I taught Britty to crawl, I put her in a down, then lightly put my hand between her shoulder blades to keep her down. Then, I put a treat on the floor right in front of her nose, and very slowly dragged it back, away from her. If she crawled even just a teeny bit, she got the cookie, and we just worked up to crawling farther and farther.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby AuntieMom » Sat May 27, 2006 9:22 pm

The most useful thing we taught our dogs is "go potty." We teach that to our fosters too. I am impressed with everyone who can make their dogs wait for a meal. I'm lucky to get them to sit.

I taught our 3 year old Brittany boy "kiss." I did not teach it to our 2 year old Brittany girl because she will lick me to death. Our boy touches his nose to me, it is so darn cute. One night he was so excited about treats that I told him "kiss" and he kissed the treat jar.

I taught our girl to jump through a hula hoop. She moves like a gazelle, she is so beautiful.

I taught our foster sit, he must have had it in his past. I tried teaching him "shake" and he looked at me as if I were from outer space. "What is this stupid word shake. Do not comprehend."

Aren't Brittanys fun???
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adele » Mon May 29, 2006 10:47 am

Any reason you can't teach useful tricks like "heel"? Lola and I are working on "relax" which is simply laying on her side quietly - some might name it "play dead", once she's got it down pat I intend to use it when I want her to be still. Currently she lays on her side fast enough but she wiggles around in anticipation of the treat she knows is coming.

There is also the reverse of spin which I call twirl. Spin is clockwise, twirl is counter clockwise. "Speak" can be a bark and in our house "sing" is, well, its whine. But it sounds singy when she does it to a command.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Mon May 29, 2006 10:59 am

Seeing Adele's post reminded me that instead of the "place" command, I taught my Brittany girl "swing." Gave it a little jazz. :D
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby meteorologist » Mon May 29, 2006 2:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone. You've given me some great ideas.

To Adele, we've been working on the wait, leave it, release, heel, and other basic obedience commands outlined in Kilcommons book. I was seeking some ideas for more creative uh...non-useful commands to teach him.
meteorologist
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa H » Mon May 29, 2006 8:22 pm

Bernie's mom wrote:Oh, on tv today I saw a dog sit and then he took one paw and put it over his nose, like he was embarrassed, it was so darling... anyone know how to teach that?

I haven't taught it myself but I have read about it and seen dogs do it who have been taught this way.... A small piece of tape is put on top of the dogs nose and when they go to "scratch" it off with their paw, you mark the behaviour..I would use a clicker and feed but if you don't use a clicker you could say Yes! and feed. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Eventually name the behaviour *while* it is happening, eventually remove the tape etc...Good Luck..we want pictures! :wink:
Take care....Lisa H
Lisa H
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Joenoles1 » Tue May 30, 2006 9:05 am

how 'bout teaching your dog to get me a beer from the fridge :P That's a nice trick!!
Joenoles1
Puppy

Postby Jen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:27 pm

Denali's best tricks were getting a beer from the fridge and then we taught her to sit up and then we would shoot her. After the first shot she would limp towards us until we shot her again and then she would crawl until we shot her a third time which would cause her to be a dead dog(lying on her side with her eyes closed) most of the time she would be on her side and still wag her tail so we'd have to say "dead dogs don't wag their tails" which would get her to lay still. That one was a real crowd pleaser. She also would fetch her bowl after she got a beer from the fridge and lay it down at the person's feet to whom she had just brought the beer.

Coda isn't big on doing tricks, but he can now say his prayers. We always tell him that if he doesn't say his prayers the big mean foster fairy will come and take him away from us. Makes everyone laugh, exceot Coda who takes the threat VERY seriously.

One of my favorite tricks to teach the dogs which is very cute is to teach them to roll over, and then teach them to hold a blanket or towel in their mouths while rolling over so it looks like they are trying to cover themselves up. Coda of course gets over excited and keeps rolling over and usually wraps himself up like a burrito and gets stuck - not the brightest britt :roll:

Jen
Coda - our forever foster dog
Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby adele » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:22 am

Jen wrote:she would be on her side and still wag her tail so we'd have to say "dead dogs don't wag their tails" which would get her to lay still. That one was a real crowd pleaser.
Priceless! Reminds me of my old dog. I taught her to "play dead" by lying on her back with her feet in the air. Trouble is she would never stop wiggling and barking. I don't think the crowd was too impressed but it made me laugh every time.

Jen wrote:Coda of course gets over excited and keeps rolling over and usually wraps himself up like a burrito and gets stuck - not the brightest britt
I think I like Coda. He sounds like a hoot.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Obedience