Local Obedience Club!

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Local Obedience Club!

Postby wrynn » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:26 pm

A friend of mine just passed on a link for a local obedience club in town, AKC licensed, and they do agility, flyball, obedience, the works. It's inexpensive, looks like it will be a lot of fun, and there's even another brittany in the club! I take Payton to the vet on the 11th for (I believe) her last, or next to last, set of puppy shots since she'll be 12 weeks old, and then I can register us for puppy classes :) http://hotc.org

Just had to share how excited I am! :D
Rynn
wrynn
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby HOPE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:36 pm

That is great!!! I am sure Payton will enjoy it. It looks like a great place. Let us know how she does.
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year
HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Helen E. » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:19 pm

Sounds great! You're lucky to have that locally. We only have basic obedience, anything else is 2 hours away. I grew up in Huntsville and moved to FL in high school (my parents practically had to drag me away from my friends!). Wish I still lived up there! :)
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Annie'sRebecca » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:08 am

You and Payton are going to have a lot of fun! Looks like a nice club :D .
Annie & Rowdy
Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby wrynn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:59 am

Got the check made out to get enrolled for the class starting the 18th!

Hubby and I have decided to call her Penny instead of Payton because of a recall problem - I can't recall her name when I try to talk to her.. :oops: I'm such a dodo. She really responds to Penny though, her tail wags and she gets wiggly.

So far I've been working with her exclusively on SIT, and she's getting pretty good at it. We go for a walk, and when we get to the door she has to SIT before I'll open it. Then I open the door, we go inside, she has to SIT again inside the door so I can take off her leash. She has to SIT before she gets fed, and SIT to put her leash on to take her to go potty. If we're on a walk, and I stop to talk to a neighbor she has to SIT. She's doing really good so far, she gets kibby treats when she sits and lots of rubs on her chest and praise (I'm sure this won't stick for long..). Now we need to work on doing a SIT for hubby :lol: We're working on "Come" also, and "Keep Right" when we are on leash and she tries to wrap my legs up by going around to the left, and "Slow Down" when she tries to run to the end of the leash and choke herself.. She was so good the other night on our walk, she walked right beside me for about 5 minutes and looked at me the whole time! I gave her lots of rubs and treats for that. Only problem we're having is she likes to jump, and I've gotten her not to jump on me so much but when other people come over and she jumps they give her lots of attention. I wish I could train those people not to praise and greet her when she jumps :evil:

I think she'll like obedience class. :D
Rynn
wrynn
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Helen E. » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:00 am

I love the name Penny! :D I wondered if you had changed her name. Payton could also sound a little like "Stay" when you start obedience classes. Sounds like she's doing great!

Are you walking her on your right side? You might want to call the obedience club and ask what side they have you train your dog on. All the classes I have taken my dogs to over the years have always had the dog walk on your left side.

About the jumping, maybe you could get visitors to kneel down to her level to greet her so she doesn't feel she has to jump up to get their attention. Just a thought.

Good luck and have fun! :D
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Catharina » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:04 am

wrynn wrote: when other people come over and she jumps they give her lots of attention. I wish I could train those people not to praise and greet her when she jumps :evil:

Most people are such dingbats when it comes to that! Makes me so mad! :evil:

After finally coming to the realization that there is an unimited supply of untrainable people in Kibo's environment, I resigned myself to training him, instead of them. Here are some suggestions for "management" you could try to avoid having your visitors reinforce Princess Penny's non-royal greeting behavior:

1) Short-term: have her drag a leash when greeting visitors at the door and stand on it, while they bend down to greet her. This will physically prevent her from jumping up, so at least she's not practicing her jumping behavior and getting reinforced for it. You can also use this when people greet her on walks.

2) Longer-term: Train a command that is incompatible with jumping up (sit is easiest for most; I use "go to your mat" instead because of Kibo's aggression issues), and then distraction-proof it to the point that she will even obey when people are at the door bearing large stacks of pizzas. Bomb-proofing the "sit" takes a while, but is so worth it.

The main trick for successully teaching (2) is to use excellent management (i.e. 1) until your sit is totally "pizza-proofed". Of course, you can also have your more trainable friends to the "turning away and ignoring" routine with her in the meantime, and use the leash for only those people who you suspect to be less than 100% compliant for withholding attention from a jumping dog.

Kibo, a.k.a. "The Flying Nose"
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby wrynn » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:47 am

We had our first class together this morning, and she did great. I've been working with her at home on my own, just with treats and petting, but today we worked with the clicker. She knows sit pretty good because she won't get anything from me without sitting first, and today we did lay down, sit and her name. She did a very pretty lay down, and after some coaxing from the teachers in the class she came to me when we played hide & seek and I called her. I hope the rest of the classes go as well.
Rynn
wrynn
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Helen E. » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:33 am

Congratulations! Puppy obedience classes can be so much fun. Keep practicing and she'll make you proud! :)
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Return to Obedience