tips on adding a whistle

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

tips on adding a whistle

Postby adele » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:20 pm

I hate raising my voice to holler "come". I'd like to add a whistle to Lola's recall training. I figured I'd just blow on the whistle, call come, and give treats when she came. Any tips? Her recall is fair not perfect - do you think adding a whistle will just confuse the issue?
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:23 pm

I would use two whistle commands . One toot she should stop and sit . Then two toots she should come to you and sit . First get the stop sit one and after she gets it then the two whistle come to you . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: tips on adding a whistle

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:59 pm

adele wrote:...do you think adding a whistle will just confuse the issue?

Nope....whistles are good, carry long distances and sometimes are in a better tone range than our voices. Go for it, just get your pattern set firmly before using it.....one whistle for "this", two whistles for "that", etc. Whatever works, as long as the dog gets the training to understand what the sounds mean it's a good plan :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Catharina » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:52 am

I wouldn't worry about confusing Lola, your system sounds like it should teach her what the whistle means in a hurry. Just be sure you use it only in situations where you are absoutely sure your recall command works, at least until you are certain she has understood the meaning of the whistle.

I am always clutching my whistle right in my hand whenever Kibo is off-leash -- you gotta have a sound that carries far with those fleet-footed critters. I keep my whistle on my key-ring, so there's no chance to forget it when I leave the house.

Plus, if you ever do "loose" her for more than a few minutes (heaven forbid), you won't have a sore throat to contend with the next day -- whistles are sooo much more gentle on your system than yelling.

Finally, I like that the whistle sounds pretty much the same each time I use it. Can't say that about my voice at all -- if I have to call louder, it sounds different, and my tone might also change with my mood. I sometimes wonder if those changes make it harder on the dog to make progress in training as well.

I use a sequence of five blasts (one long, four very short) to hopefully make my signal different from most other peoples'. Also, I figure if I ever lose my whistle and have to change to one with a different tone, Kibo will hopefully still recognize that it is him who "has a call". If I mouth-whistle that same sequence, he still seems to understand what it means (though it's not as effective over long distances).

Kibo, a.k.a. "The Flying Nose"
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lorie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:24 pm

I have wondered about adding a whistle as well, that is how my hubby calls the girls and they come a running for him. I end up yelling and always have to watch my tone of voice, so I don't give the girls the feeling of oh no I'm in trouble and they are not.

Catharina wrote
I keep my whistle on my key-ring, so there's no chance to forget it when I leave the house.

That is a good idea as it can also be used in a distress situation especially since holiday shopping is coming up soon.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy
Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby HOPE » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:15 pm

I think that is a great idea, maybe I can teach Hope and Spotsie so when ever I call them they would come. Hopefully they won't ignore me (as Hope usually does when she is hunting for lizard, frogs or anything it moves :lol: )
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year
HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Obedience