Teacher's pet

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Teacher's pet

Postby JakesMom » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:20 pm

We take Jake to a clicker obedience class. It is so much fun and I really recommend it! Jake came to us already knowing (we think) "sit" (very well) and "lay down" (mostly). I found out about NILIF and started doing a lot of that before we started classes.

In class it is truly comical because Jake is razor-focused on whoever has food. (Which of course, in a clicker class, is just about everyone.) The instructor is now his favorite person in the ENTIRE WORLD because every time he meets her she has food! I am pretty sure he has little doggy dreams of going home with her.

The other dogs are a very energetic young doodle-type thing (never stops moving/wagging/jumping) and a tiny little yorkie. I always have to laugh in class because the sweet yorkie is off in la-la land (or staring dreamily at Jake), the doodle is trying to jump on someone, and Jake is eternally sitting starched-stiff and STARING at the instructor.

I always feel embarassed and reassure them he's a nightmare to walk and is a spazzy fool at home when we practice, but at class he's like a machine and makes the instructor look so amazing!

Imagine my horror yesterday when the teacher introduced "wait" by using a bowl with some food in it. We do this at every meal! Its so ingrained with him now that he will doublecheck with me half the time even after he's been given the go-ahead to eat. The other day I was in a rush and just tossed the bowl down without sitting him and he just stared at me not knowing what to do! So there we are in class with my notoriously food-obsessed dog and he's just sitting like a statue next to the food, and STARING at the instructor waiting for the release. I actually apologized. :shock: I sometimes wonder if the other people think we're a "ringer" haha.

They just need to take him for a walk and they'll know we aren't. :roll:
JakesMom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:44 pm

:lol: :lol: There's nothing wrong with doing well in obedience class! I know what you mean about being totally food obsessed and super focused in class. When I did basic obedience with Buster, he would sit and stare at me and drool!

I've actually taken my dogs to basic obedience classes even though they already knew everything being taught, just for the socialization and practice in new settings with new distractions.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Lorie » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:48 pm

:D :D Great job Jake, it sounds like your a wonderful student. :D :D
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy
Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Catharina » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:25 pm

:lol: :lol: I can just see the whole thing, too funny! :lol: :D

I used to joke that Kibo was like the obnoxious kid in the first row who always raises his hand real' high when the teacher asks the class a question....
The first time we practiced "come" on a long line, all the other dogs (six of them!) had to be called multiple times and encouraged the whole way along as they'd stop to sniff, dawdle, try to visit with other dogs.... Come Kibo's turn, I call, he breaks from a perfect sit into a flying gallop acrooss the room and slides to a perfect sit right in front of my feet, adoringly staring up at my tiny piece of kibble.

I think a lot of these Britts do take "Will work for food!" just a tad to the extreme, don't they! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kibo, a.k.a. "The Flying Nose"
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby ChrstnaLA » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:32 pm

This is cracking me up! I can see this all in action in my head. In our training class, Riley was the perfect student like Kibo on the come exercise. He'd run up to my husband and practically sit on his feet, looking for praise. Our training didn't use treats, just praise and he was still the model student. It's amazing how well they fool the outside world, isn't it? At home, they usually have selective listening, well, at least Riley does. :lol:

Gunnar was the polar opposite. Our trainer called it coming under protest. I would call him and he would slowly get up and take his sweet time getting to me, then slowly do his sit. I'd praise him like an idiot the whole way too. He did what I asked him to, but he was not any too happy about it. The other owners and the trainers actually laughed at him he was so rediculously slow.
Christina :)
Riley & Gunnar
ChrstnaLA
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:52 pm

Catharina wrote:....I think a lot of these Britts do take "Will work for food!" just a tad to the extreme, don't they! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: BoyOBoy, you got that right :lol: :lol: Goes along with the 100% totally focused nose.....the rest of the world just fades away into the mist when the nose engages :wink: Can that be called "tunnel nose" :lol: :lol: During training I'm thrilled, during outdoor hikes it can be infuriating :P :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Catharina » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:59 am

Barb Wright wrote:....during outdoor hikes it can be infuriating :P :P

Umm, you mean, like, when Kibo found the deer guts where someone had "field dressed" a deer last Sunday? :roll: That sure turned his hearing off completely, nothing selective about it.... :twisted:

Kibo, a.k.a. "The Flying Nose"
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby swillow66 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:58 pm

Goes along with the 100% totally focused nose.....the rest of the world just fades away into the mist when the nose engages Can that be called "tunnel nose"
Aw, now I finally have a name for this illness!! Now if I could just discover the cure as well!! :? :shock: :lol:

Glad to know that he is doing so well in class! Go JAKE!!
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world
swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby wrynn » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:53 pm

LOL!!! I know exactly what you mean! Penny can be a pretty big poo head on walks, nose off in the weeds..but in obedience class she made the other puppies look bad! :oops:
Rynn
wrynn
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby adele » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:51 am

You guys don't know how lucky you are (or when to be embarrassed). Lola is a pretty good dog at home but at obedience class, man, was I embarrassed. I remember one particular day when they were all at the far side of the room on "down stay". Lola had enough and got up then she ran down the line of dogs and pounced and played with each one in turn so they got up and started running around. :lol: The whole exercise was turned upside down and everybody had to collect their dogs and regroup. That's when its time to be embarrassed.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:46 pm

:lol: :lol: Oh, Adele, that is soooo funny :lol: :lol: You just know she was thinking, "Okay, enough of this serious stuff, let's PARTY!!!" :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby JakesMom » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:35 pm

Last night was our final class / exam / graduation and Jake did great! Thank goodness she didnt have us do the loose-leash walking though :oops: For the exam there were stations set up all around the room with different "real life" tests of the skills we covered. The only thing he really flubbed was sitting when someone approaches. That was totally my fault because it was taught as a solution to dogs who jump on people, and since Jake doesnt jump on people I was an inexcuseably lazy mommy and didnt train it. He even did sit/down/stay with only hand signals!

The highlight was when our trainer had my daughter run Jake thru the stations by herself. I think she did better than I did with him!

Not just a pretty face:

I am good at "wait" (even though it sucks)

"Free" is my favorite command!
JakesMom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lorie » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:52 pm

Yeah Jake, what a good boy you are :D :D.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy
Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Annie'sRebecca » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:15 pm

Way to go, Jake! And congratulations to JakesMom, as well :D I know at our obedience classes I was trained as much as Annie and Rowdy. Are you going to go on to more advanced obedience or agility or something?
Annie & Rowdy
Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby HOPE » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Way to go Jake!!!!! Congrats to mom too!!! Great pictures thanks for sharing!!!
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year
HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Obedience