You can't do that it the ring?

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

You can't do that it the ring?

Postby brittienewbie » Sat May 02, 2015 7:08 pm

What is "that," you say? Run to the end of your leash and flop around like a fish!

Bear and I showed in Rally Novice A for the first time yesterday. The show was WAY behind schedule so I ended up being way to early. I set up the kennel...in an unfortunate smelling corner of the horse barn that we showed in. I worked and worked him outside the ring, up and down the aisles, inside and outside. I lost his attention about an hour before we showed so...we played ball, we napped in the A/C of the car, we tried to dig our way out of our travel kennel, I stepped on his foot...and then it was finally our turn to show. I walked into the ring, nervously telling the steward that this was our first show, and Bear wouldn't sit at the Start sign. The course was relatively easy compared to the courses we've been doing as run throughs in class. I messed up the first sign, it was just a halt...not a walk around your dog. Then I got really nervous and all bets were off. He barely went into a down and was at the end of his leash for the corners and turns. When it came time for the sit and walk around dog sign (we'd already done that once), he pulled so hard on his leash that he ended up almost on his belly trying to smell and sniff everything. I proceeded to burst into tears and excuse myself from the ring without finishing the course.

So, is he too young? He's about 21 months. Am I too inexperienced? This is my first obedience dog. Did I get there too early and work him too hard? He's been firing on all eight cylinders at the kennel club, but that's familiar surroundings. And what's with trying to dig out of his kennel? He's crate trained, he's crated when I'm helping teach puppy class, and I proofed him in the travel kennel at home.

Oy! Our club takes off the month of August for training, I think that between now and then I will take him to the obedience class instead of Rally...he knows all of the signs (including advanced and excellent) and I think that being in obedience with different dogs, a different trainer, and new exercises will be helpful for his self control.

As if I didn't feel embarrassed enough, someone from our club said "We've only been to one rally class and got two legs last weekend, you've been going to class for a long time - you should have had no problem with this course." Ugh...said from someone who has a Champion (i.e. bench) Golden Retriever that's the most lethargic young dog I've ever seen. I just smiled and said "Well, he's got Brittany brain!"
brittienewbie
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: You can't do that it the ring?

Postby Lisa » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:04 pm

Annnnd - a month later you get a reply. I'm so sorry!!!

I really think it's a combination of things - mostly that A) you're new to this whole trial thing and were super stressed and B) he's a young Brittany

A) Being new to trailing just means that you need to work on your own mental management. I'm not one to preach about this, as I'm still working on it myself. At agility trials, my headphones and I are best friends...I listen to music when I walk the course, and then about 15 minutes before our run, I take Buster out to potty and then sit by his crate and listen to music and just visualize the course. About 6 dogs before our run, I take Buster ringside and just play with him or feed him treats. Keep a sense of humor, try to keep calm, and try not to let mistakes throw you off too much. And most importantly, ignore everyone else...especially when they try to give unsolicited advice. Your dog knows when you're stressed - that stress travels right down the leash, and then they act up, because they don't know what to do with the stress they're sensing from you.

B) He's a young Brittany - sniffing cow poop is waaay more exciting than sitting!!! Some of this was probably just Brittany attention span. Just because he can do the stuff in class, does not mean he can do it at a trial with a million distractions. If you can, go to some fun matches where you have the trial environment but can correct and reward your dog. Take your training on the road and practice exercises in new and interesting places. One thing I learned real quick when trialing with a Brittany - just accept that they are going to embarrass you!

As for the crate thing - again, probably stress and excitement. When I crate my dogs at trials, I make sure they have a good treat to work on in the crate.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Return to Obedience