Back to school we go

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Postby adleblanc » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:51 am

So next week we start basic classes again. The manager I work for at doggie daycare used to be a dog trainer and was telling me why the heel command was good for PJ. I was just wondering how all of you trained your dog to heel? I wanna start working with PJ on this now to get a hard start. The manager also suggest I work with PJ when I can at daycare because it was a good enironement to keep his attention on me.

Andrea
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lisa » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:16 am

I was just wondering how all of you trained your dog to heel?

I don't teach my dogs a competition heel, because I'm just not interested in it. In fact, I don't even have a heel command for my dogs...simply because if I ever do decide I want to do competition obedience, I don't want to have to retrain a heel. I do teach them a loose leash walk, though, and have used several methods on my own and foster dogs. I call that a "with me" or "walk nice."

I've clicker trained Britty and several fosters to have a loose leash walk. I've used Dawn Jeck's Choose to Heel method on a couple of dogs. I've also used a step in harness and balance leash on a few. Which method I use really depends on the dog and how much training they've had and how strong their history of pulling is.

Meant to add...lemme know if you want me to detail any of the above...don't have time now, but could do so later tonight.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Alifaire » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:39 am

I'd be interested in more information about any of these training methods. Victor has been through basic obedience classes and is currently in agility training.

The concept of walking on a loose leash would be very beneficial. We also visit as a pet therapy team and it's a constant struggle to walk down the hall.

Thanks.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lisa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:37 am

Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Alifaire » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:53 am

Thanks so much! I'll check them out and let you know if I'm successful at teaching Victor.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Previous

Return to Obedience