Back to school we go

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Back to school we go

Postby adleblanc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:52 pm

So after much debate about it I'm taking PJ back to school. PJ is now two and has done puppy and basic one classes and was at the top of his class. Well a year later we haven't done much training and with PJ going to doggie daycare 3-4 days of the week I feel in some ways he is out of control and we need to correct this. Okay so maybe we aren't that out of control but it bothers me when I call him he ignores me. The trainer (different from the previous times) suggest basic classes as PJ doesn't know how to heel and we eventually wanted to do rally and agility. The other place never taught heel and being the PJ is an excellent walker and doesn't pull I wasn't to worried about it. My concern of doing basic training again is that PJ will be bored. Shelli...this is CCA...have you done basic classes with them? Anyway we start in March and hopefully late spring we can start rally and agility which I think PJ will have fun with.

Andrea
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Canned Ice » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:19 pm

Buckley and I take obedience at Petsmart. We didn't work on a formal heel in the basic class - just loose leash walking. Now we're starting a formal heel in the intermediate class. Maybe you could inquire about what class is best suited for PJ's needs and skill level. Distractions are always a good way to make even basic commands much harder.
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adleblanc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Yes I did talk to the trainer about what class is best for PJ. I told her how we wanted to get into rally and agility so we should know heel. She seemed to know the English Springer Spaniel breed and as I was talking her so hopefully that will be a benefit to us. I can't wait for PJ to get back up to speed.

Andrea
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby swillow66 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:22 pm

Andrea-
You sound just like me!! We are STILL working on heeling. I have learned that keeping them on a short leash, heeling to the left and keeping the grass area to the right helps a LOT! Allow them two inches in front of me and they think they are in charge!! Keeping them away from the smells on the grass keeps their noses up.

Did you finally talk to Jen? Did she recommend her CGC/Level II class? It seems to fall right into Rally. Funny thing is, in class BOTH dogs would watch me like a hawk. They can tell the difference between "working" and just plain "walking".

I'm SO ready for winter to be over with. :twisted: :twisted: I really miss working outside with the dogs!!
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world
swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adleblanc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Yes...Jen called me this morning...I was shocked seeing as you just told me how busy she would be for this weekend. She recommened we do the basic class...which we did last year at DDFL. I think maybe she suggested this because PJ doesn't come when called anymore and he doesn't know the heel comand. PJ doesn't seem to listen well these days and just does what he wants. I told the trainer maybe it has something to do wity how he goes to daycare 3-4 days a week and just gets to do ashe pleases. Shelli...I also wanna do the adventure class...that sounds perfect for PJ and we love going to Chatfield.

I hear ya about the weather. Last weekend we did manage to take PJ walking five miles on the trail. I'm thinking another long walk this weekend if the weather stays nice.

Andrea
Last edited by adleblanc on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Pete'smom » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:45 am

Andrea, Pete and I have done all the classes more then once. Not that he didn't pass but with different trainers we pick up different things. Pete has never acted bored. In fact quite the contrary. He loves to show off all the things he knows as if we are playing. He has also been able to show some of the skills to the rest of the class since he has them mastered. Hope this is helpful. I don't think Pj will be bored. Practice makes perfect!
Pete'smom
Pete'smom
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby adleblanc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:33 am

Our reporter Chris is covering the dog show today for our morning show :D :D :D

Judy thanks for that information...that makes me feel better. I was also thinking it will be a better transition into the other classes we want to do. I think PJ is gonna be in shock when he realizes he is going back to school...however I'm excited.

P.S. Monday at 7:30 on channel 2 will be Dr. Fitzgerald and ESRA. Pam said she will bring one BW and one LW...I can't bring PJ this time because Charlie is out of town and it is to much for me to have PJ at work for the entire morning.

Judy-stay safe with those high winds.

Andrea
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby swillow66 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Andrea-
I will honestly admit, almost every command I learned in basic, I use on my fosters as well. The classes are almost semi-private, so he should have fun. Being in a different environment will be good too - motivates the senses!!

The wind IS absolutely awful today! When is our "true" Colorado weather going to return??

Our reporter Chris is covering the dog show today for our morning show
I caught quite a bit of it this morning too!

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adleblanc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:19 pm

So PJ almost got himself killed tonight. I opened the front door to put something outside and he went running off...something he has never done. Well he didn't have a collar on because I was getting ready for bed and we were done going out for the night. He ran off like a mad man down the bust street. He wouldn't come when called...which at one point he was so good at. PJ went up to a guy walking and I said please grab him and he didn't. Later he told me he didn't hear me because he was on the phone...whatever. Finally I got PJ to chase me back to the house. Oh you can bet I'm so glad he is going to school in a couple of weeks. He is gonna be getting so much training so he never pulls that stunt again. I was so scared I was gonna lose him tonight. I don't know what is going on with him. My only guess is he is trying to get away with a lot more and I'm letting him. My husband is out of town so we were thinking maybe PJ was looking for him. I gave PJ a good yelling for ten minutes. PJ looked at me like he was sorry but I wonder if he even understands. I'm also so mad at myself because he didn't have his collar on.

Andrea
Last edited by adleblanc on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:52 pm

Whew :o . I'm glad he's OK , Andrea . If the recall training doesn't make him 100 % investigate an ecollar . Springers are about as bull headed like Brittanys . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Canned Ice » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:00 am

Andrea, I know how you feel. You can see your pup running in the street and it seems unreal. The thing is Buckley can do really well with recall at times. It depends on his mood :roll:
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Pete'smom » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 am

Andrea, that must have been really scary. I think Pj is going through his terrible two's. Latte was testy at that age. Fortunatly she is so food motivated I could bribe her. She is still a "bull headed" springer! (thanks Dave for the words) I am still waiting for Pete to start testing me :) Good timing for getting back into class's.
Pete'smom
Pete'smom
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:46 am

I'd be happy if I could just get my 2 Britts to share toys. Life has been a tug-o-war since I brought Storm home at 7 weeks. He keeps getting beat up by Maggie, but I think in his mind he is winning.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby adleblanc » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks for the tip Dave. I have no clue what an ecollar is but I will be doing research on it just in case I do need to invest in one.

PJ is acting very strange today. I think he is really missing Dad. I told Charlie to call later and talk to him. The other thing is he may still think I'm really mad at him...like I said I yelled at him for about ten minutes and punished him to a down stay for 15 minutes.

Oh Judy I hope your not right about terrible twos...he just turned two and I can take this for a year. Last night it felt like forever but it was probably only five minutes. I didn't even have shoes on and there was no time to put them on so I'm running in my socks. Then I couldn't even remember if I closed the house door when this happened and was hoping if I didn't close the door my cat would be smart enough to stay inside...luckly I did close the door. Not a good way to start the weekend that's for sure. It could have been worse though...if there had been a rabbit around I would have not gotten him back.

Andrea
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby swillow66 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:04 pm

Andrea -Been there done that too!

Actually Riley snuck out the front door this afternoon with the foster right on his heels :shock: I knew that HE would head for the park, but my heart went right into my toes as I was trying to throw my shoes on and wondering where the foster may go.

Thankfully she saw me, I did a big happy "good girl" and kept bowing my arms out to her. She came running right up to me. Whew!! My son was right behind me, walked down a little bit and Riley came right back.

Guess we both had a good day.

Okay - "remender to oneself - DON'T yell at the dog when they take off running and FINALLY decide to come back" RECALL TRAINING, RECALL TRAINING, RECALL TRAINING!

Truthfully, with all of the weather, we just haven't been doing our work like we need to. YEAH! Summer is around the corner!!

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Obedience