whoa command

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

whoa command

Postby Lisa H » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:19 pm

Hello all,
For those of you who have taught the "whoa" command, how did you do it? Also why exactly is it used in the field? I don't hunt with my Britt but plan on obedience and agility, but I am curious about the "whoa"
Thanks, Lisa
Lisa H
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:31 pm

Lisa,
I don't hunt my Britts currently , but have in the past . The main reason I teach the whoa is for control . A dog running helter skelter and won't stop for you is useless , you end up with an orange and white dot going over the horizon . Whoa is used to help get a dog to honor another's point when hunting two or more . I start by using a 25 ft. leash and when the dog gets near the end I step on the leash at the same time command Whoa and use alot of praise when they get it :) . Also I like using a whistle and give one tweet as the command for whoa using the same technique . I'm sure you'll get some more advice on this and hope this helps :D
Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:14 am

This is very interesting ... my dogs learned the whoa command because that's what I say to the horses all the time! My husband has also learned it, but not nearly as well as the dogs and horses!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

whoa

Postby jwmkem » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:51 am

We use the WHOA command to make sure a dog doesn't move forward when he is on point on a bird. He points, I then say WHOA several times as I move forward towards the area that he's pointing. I don't want him to move and flush the bird. I have had to use this command when we come in contact with turkey or other animals that I don't want the dogs chasing or bothering...
jwmkem
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby JimC » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:39 am

Delmar Smith describes whoa as meaning "put four feet flat and don't move". I use it whenever I want Ryker to do just that. I use it in a variety of settings, when he's on point, when approaching other dogs when on a walk, when he's gotten his check cord wrapped around a leg, etc. I introduced whoa to him in the family room. I gave the command and positioned him and held his head steady. When he held position I'd slowly stroke his sides and give him a soft verbal "good boy". When out on his check cord, I give the command and slowly approach him and gently stroke his side a time or two. I built a whoa platform for him, but he wasn't having any of that. The biggest drawback to his learning whoa is that in obedience training he learned to sit and still wants to sit sometimes when I want him to whoa.
JimC
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:17 pm

Outside of hunting/training for hunting, it would be useful to keep a dog still if you end up in a dagerous situation ie. the dog wanders and you don't notice and is near a road or something and a car is comming. You could whoa the dog untill you get there or the car is gone. This would be more for a back woods logging road/camping situation back on dirt roads or something.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Whoa

Postby Lisa H » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:18 pm

Thanks everyone.
I guess my "whoa" is wait, which I have been working on when we go for our bush walks. I think I will switch to whoa though (hey, that rhymes! :wink:) I use wait before I feed her, let her out etc and don't want to confuse the two. I think a good solid whoa is what I will train for, especially when she is tangled around yet another tree!!
Take care...Lisa and Annie
Lisa H
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Return to Obedience