Retrieve

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Retrieve

Postby imzadipyrgirl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:53 pm

Okay you can shoot me for this one....

Paris will go after toys but not bring them back. I am hoping to teach him to retrieve as you would for competitive obedience. I have trained my other dogs in such a manner and competed in 4-H. I was just wondering if it is natural for Britts to retrieve or if it is a taught behaviour. I am aware that all dogs disposistions would be different for this but I was just wondering if their was a "general" affinity for retrieving or not.

Also, does anyone have any methods that have worked well for their dogs? I'm always looking for new things to try!

Thank you
Nessa and dogs :D
"There is only one of you in all time. Fearlessly be yourself."-Anthony Rapp

Why is it that as a culture we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns then holding hands?--Ernest Gaines
imzadipyrgirl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby adele » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:16 am

My pup was two months old when I got her. The day I brought her home I tossed a ball and she brought it right back to me. I know the breeder didn't play with the pups. So, I think its ingrained.

However, Lola doesn't really enjoy retrieving. She's all about hunting. If I toss the ball she'll get it if I make her but if I let her decide she'll run past the ball to sniff under a bush.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Annie'sRebecca » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:24 am

Annie's a natural retriever, also. She LOVES to play fetch. So much so, that we have to hide her ball, and we only play maybe 3 times a week. If we didn't keep control, she'd want to play 24/7, and it would drive us crazy. Rowdy will fetch plush toys but that's about it. He can do it, but really he could care less one way or the other.
I'm not sure how to teach a retrieve to a dog, but maybe you could do something with trading a toy/ball for treats?
Annie & Rowdy
Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby HOPE » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:51 am

I think it depends on each Britt they are very different. My first Britt, Freckles was a retriever and he loved playing with the balls. Hope is not a retriever, you will toss the ball she will go and get it but then take off to a corner to break the ball apart. :roll:
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year
HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby imzadipyrgirl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:02 am

Wow so much consistency :roll:

I haven't been able to actually sit down and try to play a game of fetch with Paris because our weather has been so screwy here. If he doesn't then I'm pretty sure I can teach him to but I don't know if I really want to just because I don't think we will be competing in obedience..although it would be nice for exercising him. We'll see I guess

Thanks

Why is it that as a culture we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns then holding hands?--Ernest Gaines
imzadipyrgirl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Lisa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:22 am

If Paris just doesn't seem to "get" retreiving, it's a fairly simple exercise to shape with a clicker. Sooo, ya might as well teach it just for the heck of it. It's always a fun game, even if you don't decide to do obedience.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby imzadipyrgirl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:56 pm

yeah I taught my other dogs to retrieve with a clicker. I love those things :D

imzadipyrgirl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby pinky monero » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:39 pm

Heres a link for teaching retrieve...Neither of my dogs is a natural retriever, but Gemma is fantastic now and i just do it for fun sometimes with the peg i trained her with. I'm starting with Hugo now too. I was skeptical when i saw this, but it really works...especially to reinforce that they must hold until you say and they give it into your hand.

http://www.dogscouts.com/retrieve.shtml
pinky monero
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby jennivieve » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:58 pm

I have to echo the idea of trading the ball for a treat. For awhile, I still had to give the ball right back and then ask her for it again. Now, she is a pretty good retrieiver with balls...bird wings are another issue. She won't give those back for a million treats! But, we're working on it.

My other dog, Doc, has very little interest in retrieving. Sometimes he'll chase after the toy and about 1 in 20 times, he will actually retrieve it and drop it beautifully in my hand on command. The rest of the time, though, it's like he forgets what he's running after and just comes back to me for a quick hug. :)

Good luck!
jennivieve
Puppy

Return to Obedience