Obedience or Behavior? - Pulling and prey

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Obedience or Behavior? - Pulling and prey

Postby adele » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:50 am

We are making progress on the loose leash walking thing and I'm proud to say that sometimes its not always annoying to be on the other end of Lola's leash. However I'm not making any progress on bolting after prey. We're not making progress because I'm at a loss on what to do.

When a pheasant flushes in front of us Lola takes off after it. If I'm lucky I have time to brace for impact. Today she pulled me into a drainage ditch. (stop laughing).

Its better if she points. Then I can start calming her before the pheasant flushes. It doesn't matter how rock solid her "stay" is if the bird takes us by surprise there isn't time to holler "stay". So what do you guys do?
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Canned Ice » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Hold on for dear life and get dragged along for the ride. :lol: I've ended up ankle deep in the VT duck pond on the end of Buckley's leash.
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Obedience or Behavior? - Pulling and prey

Postby HOPE » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:05 pm

adele wrote:When a pheasant flushes in front of us Lola takes off after it. If I'm lucky I have time to brace for impact. Today she pulled me into a drainage ditch. (stop laughing).

So what do you guys do?

:lol: :lol: that has happens to me so many times with my previous Britt Freckles. Sometimes I felt like I was his kite. Hope is not like that however I would hold her as tied as I cut and pray that I won't fall
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year
HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DLDoiron » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:30 pm

We call Doc our 50 pound sled dog.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: For Britty, who's prey drive is very strong, I've taught her a very solid "leave it." I'm also hyper vigilant on our walks and try to spot things before she does, so I can be prepared.

When Britty spots a bunny or other critter, I immediatly stop, tell her to leave it, and then bring her back to my side. Once she's back at my side, I get her attention, tell her leave it again, and we continue on our walk. If I'm not fast enough, I'll be hollering "leave it" as she's on her hind feet at the end of the leash, but once I tell her to leave it, she usually settles down.

The thing is, you have to be super consistant while on your walks...even one incident of not telling them to leave it, and instead letting them try to get the critter will be a huge set back. They'll have gotten rewarded for their behavior, and will keep trying to repeat it.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:42 pm

If I remember correctly you have an ecollar ? If so use it . Adjust the stimulation to the point that she won't ignore it . You need to teach the "Whoa" command first . Teach her hold first without a bird getting ready to fly . If she breaks you nick her . There are other methods , but if she is being trained with an ecollar it is your best tool . They aren't cruel if used correctly . There is nothing worse than having a dog ignoring you in the field , or even on walks . Sometimes it can be life or death .
8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Obedience