Rosie is now A Good Citizen!

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Rosie is now A Good Citizen!

Postby Mike S. » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:45 am

Last Tuesday night our obedience club was doing Canine Good Citizen (CGC) tests and Rosie passed on her first try. She passed all 10 steps without much of a problem. The highlight was when I was walking her around and in between the 2 judges to see how she reacted around different people. One of the judges had treats in his pocket, so when I made the circle around him Rosie's nose went to work. She caught a wiff - nose butted his pocket, then proceed to "sit" and "down" without a command and stare up at the judge to try and win that treat. Well - the judge busted out laughing and it worked - she got the treat. She has definitely learned how to work it!

We were kind off surprised that she passed because she usually pretty rambunctious around other dogs but she was fine when approached but other dogs she is not used to seeing in class.

We had recently got an ILP number for Rosie and now we can officially register her as a Good Citizen.
Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby CJ » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:10 am

Very cool! That's something I've had the "been gonna's" about for some time.... maybe if I see this enough it will get me off my butt and go try it. Congrats and very cool story about the treats!
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Rosie is now A Good Citizen!

Postby youjach » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:31 pm

Way to go!! That is so exciting. We have our CGC/TDI test next Tuesday. I am pretty sure we will pass CGC but I think we will be taking TDI again. I wish I had the brains when we first got Maggie our first Britt- 11 yrs ago- to train her and get her her CGC/TDI. Now she is too old and is very set in her ways..
youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:37 pm

Good for Rosie :D She certainly has her fans here . The good citizen award is a neat thing to do . My old girl Angie got that at 1 yr. old . I'm proud of her . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Mary Ann » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:29 pm

Congrats to Rosie! How do they get their Good Citizen award? After this morning I don't think Hunter would get one :(
Mary Ann
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Allison » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:06 pm

way cool congrats rosie

Allison
Allison
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Kristy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:08 pm

Way to go!
Riley & Colby
Kristy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Mike S. » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:24 pm

Thanks Mary Anne and others.

There is a series of 10 or 12 things that the dogs must do to pass. It involes one on one with your dog, others handling your dog, and your dog around other dogs and other people (judges).

I'd bet the AKC site has an exact list if you are interested. We got our list from the instuctors in class.
Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Obedience