ranging closer

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

ranging closer

Postby adele » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:13 am

I'm pretty pleased with Lola's recall. If close she comes when I call and if she's far away she returns to the whistle. I've called her off several species of wildlife and, while not perfect, she's a pretty good girl.

I'd like to teach her to range closer all the time How do I do that? Is it simply a matter of calling her every time she gets out of my comfort range? I'm hesitant to do that because I'd be calling her back to me 30 or 40 times an hour. I'm afraid she'll just get bored and I'll ruin her pretty good recall. Is that it or are there other techniques I can try?
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:56 am

Honestly, not something I've tried to teach! Buster doesn't like to get more than about 10-20 feet from me, and if he can't find me, he starts searching right away. I've stood across the dog park from him and watched him happily wander around until he realizes that I'm not right there with him. All of a sudden, he gets a slightly panicked look on his face and starts looking around for me. If I call, he comes racing!

I'll ask a few trainer friends for tips, though, and let you know what they say.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Canned Ice » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:21 pm

This has been a challenge for me as well. I've started using "come here" mumbled together like "com-ere" as a command that means, come back towards me. I need something like this for when agility class starts back up in January. Since Buckley went to "boot camp" as my roommate says, "come" means come back and sit near me (preferably on my left side). I can't really use that command in agility every time I need Buckley to move back towards me. I would avoid using the recall command unless you want her to come all the way back or she may think that running back towards you is good enough for recall.

I never really trained the command; I just used it a few times and praised him when he did what he was supposed to. (Great example of a good way to use the e-collar positive vibration; it only took a couple of reps and he knew what I meant. Only problem with PV is if Buckley is really excited and I hit the vibrate button, he comes racing back to get his reward.) I think you could train it on a long line too. Use the command, pull her back in a bit, and praise when she moves back towards you (but not all the way back). Just an idea.
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adele » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks Lisa, I'd be interested to hear what your trainer friends have to say. Wouldn't mind if I could stir a little of Buster into Lola. She is so independent. A trait I like most of the time.

Candice, my e-collar doesn't have a vibration setting. Too bad. It sounds like a good idea but I don't think I'll invest in another until this one is kaput. I do use "come-on" and "this way" (change of direction) both work similar to your "com-ere" but I'm still worried about using them every other minute.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:48 pm

I need something like this for when agility class starts back up in January. Since Buckley went to "boot camp" as my roommate says, "come" means come back and sit near me (preferably on my left side). I can't really use that command in agility every time I need Buckley to move back towards me

For agility, I use "here" which basically means "pay attention to me, get over here, soemthing interesting is gonna happen." If I holler "Buster, here," his head snaps around and he comes in close to me to see what I need. I trained that by using all kinds of different rewards tossed away from my body. I started with just treats, then toys, tugs, etc. I'd call Buster's name, then once he looked at me, I'd toss a treat off to the side and say "here." Repeat often. When we're out on walks, I'd point to hole in the ground or a fire hydrant or something else he might like to sniff and say "here." Basically, I just started using it to indicate interesting things to Buster, and he learned that if I said "here" then he needed to come check it out.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Catharina » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:40 pm

Great question!
I'd definitely be interested in any answers the trainers can come up with.

Kibo, a.k.a. "The Flying Nose"
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Beth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:19 am

I know when Beau was trained for hunting, "here" is the command for right by me. He went to obedience training with "come". He will respond to "here" almost all the time. With the "come" command, he responds in his own time, have to sniff here, pee there, but hey, I'm getting to you. I think the "here" was more stringently reinforced than my attempts at puppy school!
Beth
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Obedience