Rally class

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Rally class

Postby Gwennei88 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:47 pm

I'm thinking about signing up for a Rally class with Mae. We're gonna keep doing agility, but I want to try something else too, and Rally seems more interesting to me than competitive obedience. I did a search and there's not too much on the board about Rally.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has taken classes... what you're experiences have been... any tips for a beginner... etc. etc.

Thanks!
Gwennei88
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:17 pm

I wanted to try Rally with Buster, and talked to my agility trainer about it. She also teaches a Rally class, and told me that I probably didn't need to take classes. She said she'd just go over the different Rally signs with me after agility class, show me the exercises, and help me if I needed it.

Of course, agility's been canceled for the past few weeks, but once we get started again, I'll start learning Rally too...trainer said if I show up half an hour early, it should be more than enough time.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby adele » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:44 am

I've had Lola in Rally classes and when they begin again in March I will sign up. I need to keep Lola's attention when we walk by dogs on the street. Haven't achieved that goal yet so we do the Rally classes for practice.
I dream of a day when she heels by my side as we walk past another dog (doubt it will ever happen but dream on and on).

We did join an agility class but the closest one was an hour drive away so it was just too much time and I let them drop. IMO agility is more fun than Rally and maybe serves the same purpose. If your dog has an excellent heel, sit, stay and down you've pretty much mastered Rally. The rest is teaching the human not to screw it up. I enjoy our Rally classes very much but IMO it really isn't as sexy as agility.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Gwennei88 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:51 am

adele wrote:I enjoy our Rally classes very much but IMO it really isn't as sexy as agility.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We're definitely not giving up the agility class because I absolutely love it and we're actually getting kinda good at it (well, we've come a long way anyway). I just want to try something else and there's not a ton of other options. Conveniently the rally class meets right after agility, so I can just stay at school longer.

Another thing is, we go to a large dog training school with many different trainers. There are 2 main agility teachers, both of whom we've had for different classes. Their styles are different which I really like because it gives me 2 ways of looking at things. The rally class is taught by someone we've never had for any class (we've been through a few obedience classes there too) and so I thought I'd get one more viewpoint on training ideas.

I think I'll try the rally class and maybe one session will be enough that I can just work on the stuff on my own after that.
Gwennei88
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Obedience