Going to my First Obedience Sanction Match

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Going to my First Obedience Sanction Match

Postby Annabelle » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Well, I am going to be brave and go to our first obedience sanction match.
I watched one 2 months ago and thought Jack and I might know enough to get through a practice one. As the date approaches I am thinking maybe not :D But it will be $5 worth of fun.

We haven't gone to obedience class since last year, but just working around the house and on our walks. He is pretty good at staying. My only worry is that we just started going to a class in the same building as the match. He is completely focused on sniffing every single new smell in the building when we are there!! I have been studying for my own exam so haven't done as much practicing as I would like. Will let you know how we make out! (Hopefully he doesn't run out of the ring to make friends but even if he does that's okay since it is for fun) :D
Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby JakesMom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Good luck! Hope you both have fun!
JakesMom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Alifaire » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:55 pm

Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing the results.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lorie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Good luck and have fun
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy
Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:52 pm

Good luck and get some pictures . :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:30 am

Good luck, sounds like fun. Jack will do just fine :wink: .

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:57 am

Have fun and don't worry about a thing. If Jack screws up at least you'll know who to blame!! :oops: :oops: :wink: :wink:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Annabelle » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:15 pm

Well we just got back and we had a lot of fun at the sanction match. Used treats and a few extra commands while in the ring. I was happy - I wasn't expecting too much and he surprised me a couple times. When oFf leash he stayed close about 85% of the time!! Good for Jack.

We passed Pre-Novice with a little bit of tight leashing due to the tempting smells. Novice A we failed but I was expecting that. He didn't come right away on the recall I had to call him twice and the stays were a challenge. The stand stay we hadn't practiced enough, the sit stay was great and the down stay he made one leap to make a new friend. Luckily the other dog didn't move!

It was great and judge gave us a lot of feedback on what to work on (me relaxing in ring and giving the dog some time to react. ) It felt a lot nicer than conformation where you don't get any feedback on what you need to work on. So now I have a goal for what to work on next :D
Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Yeah for you and Jack!!! :D
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Alifaire » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:44 am

Congrats for you and Jack. :D Sounds like you did some good stuff out there in the ring. I hope both of you enjoyed the experience.

Keep us informed on your progress. I'm sure Jack will progress rapidly with training.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Annabelle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:22 pm

So Jack and I are signed up for an obedience class to get ready for doing our CD title. I dithered for a while, but I want to get some instruction. I don't really know what a perfect sit looks like, therefore I can't tell Jack what to do!

Plus I think it will be better to try and teach him the long stays in class with other dogs close by. Ruby our other dog is a distraction, but Jack is used to her. I think Ruby will benefit from Me being in class as I will then have to try training her.

Starts next week so will keep you posted on our progress :)

(I would like think I could also figure out how to train Ruby the 10 year old at home and get her CD title too! But we still haven't mastered walking on a leash without pulling. Mind you she does a lot better after 10 minutes on leash. I don't know if she is tired from pulling or just hot or just not expecting to flush birds every second by that point in the walk.)
Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Obedience