CGC

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

CGC

Postby rtropeano » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:49 pm

I had to share my instructor's quote regarding Daisy's performance while doing "heeling" practice for her upcoming CGC test in November.

"Daisy had moments of brilliance and utter distraction"

ROFL!!! What can I say, she tries hard :)

And I have to admit, I kinda screwed up too, when the instructor said about turn, I was like "huh?"" :oops:

I should have asked if the handler fails the test, does the dog fail too...poor Daisy, can you imagine us in agility??

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: CGC

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 pm

rtropeano wrote:I had to share my instructor's quote regarding Daisy's performance while doing "heeling" practice for her upcoming CGC test in November.

"Daisy had moments of brilliance and utter distraction"

Does this not sound like a typical Brittany :lol: :lol: They just seem to decide that some things do not warrent their attention at certain times :P :P

I should have asked if the handler fails the test, does the dog fail too...poor Daisy, can you imagine us in agility??

:lol: :lol: Well of course we can imagine you and Daisy in agility....just decide from the get go that you are out there to have FUN 8) 8) And you will find that you both DO :D :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Lisa » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:50 pm

poor Daisy, can you imagine us in agility??

:lol: :lol: :lol: If it makes ya feel any better, I'm the world's biggest klutz, and Buster and I are doing really well with agility. Of course, my trainer has a tendancy to holler out "teeter" or "dog walk" or "wing" at me...and it's not because I'm forgetting a command - it's a warning for me not to run in to that particular obstacle! More than once, I've turned and been inches from running in to something. I know Buster's just laughing at me!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Cindy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:37 am

that's VERY funny but totally believable! Isn't that what we all live for - those moments of brilliance???
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Alifaire » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:43 am

Imagine you in agility - ABSOLUTELY! It's a whole lot more fun than obedience and sometimes the dog knows where to go even if the handler doesn't!

And, yes, the agility handler can definitely fail and the dog still passes (Q's). That's my kind of sport. :D

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Daisy will be happy to know that.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:29 am

Well, Daisy's CGC test is one week from today. Can't believe it' been 8 weeks already...???

Don't ask me if I think she's going to pass, because I haven't a clue...she's refused to do every criteria at least one time during the training LOL

So who knows, maybe she'll just refuse to even go to the test :shock:

Any words of advice or training tips are greatly appreciated :)

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Alifaire » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 am

Any words of advice

Be calm and connect with your dog before the test and most of all, enjoy the time with your dog. A little extra exercise before you get to the test site wouldn't hurt either!

Good luck!

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Alifaire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 am

Well, Victor and I tried the CGC test on Saturday. He was perfect throughout the sits, and heels, and greetings, and handling. And then came the separation part of the test.

For some background, Victor is crate trained - stays alone at home without issue - has no issue running with another handler in agility.

Back to the CGC, I hand the judge the leash, put Victor in a down/stay and walk away. He doesn't last 30 seconds until the whining starts. It escalates to the full roo-roo, pacing, whining, etc. Failed the first time. :(

We retested a few minutes later (just the separation part) and he wasn't any better then. :roll: Now this dog is not a momma's boy - but I really think he was just more concerned that I was going outside where the birds were (including 6 falcons in cages) and he was being left behind.

Oh well, I shouldn't have expected him to do it naturally. I should have spent more time training him. My bad... :roll:

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:20 am

I'm glad that Victor got through all the other criteria without a hitch. Best part about CGC is that it's not too expensive to try again and since you have all the other stuff down, training the supervised separation will not be that bad. :)

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kerplunk105 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 am

The seperation will be Leena's issue as well :oops:
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix
Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby DelawareBritts » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:06 pm

Rosie has her CGC and when taking it, I thought for sure she would not stay for the separation. OMGosh...she did. Kinda like she did not care where I went. Wooohooo for Rosie.

Cooper IS a mama's boy and he failed at that portion of the test. Passed all other parts with flying colors. When he goes to the store with me as "super-Cooper-demo-dog", I am never out of his sight :wink: .

Louie...have not tried for his CGC but know he would not want me out of sight either, so we never took it.

I have spoiled them too much... :D :roll: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
I sleep with Brittanys...
DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Alifaire » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:02 am

Well, poor Victor (having failed his CGC) is now enrolled in yet another training class. I opted to enroll in beginner Rally classes rather than CGC since we need to practice our leash walking. I'm going to enlist the help of some of the class members to assist with the supervised separation training. This should be interesting - even at home Victor can't stay out of sight for more than 30 seconds before he starts whining. :roll:

If anyone knows how to train this behavior, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I've started with 10 second intervals and worked up to 30 seconds. However, at about 28 seconds the whining starts.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Kerplunk105 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:16 pm

Rally is tons of fun. I did that with Bliss.
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix
Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Alifare, I'll trade you CGC tips for Agility Tips.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :mrgreen:

I do have some thoughts on how to train this behavior, because I spent A LOT of time training it Daisy, Queen of SA.

First I would start working with Victor at home - it seems like Victor follows you around everywhere (just like Daisy does). I'm guessing that Victor can do a down/stay or a sit/stay. Make him do it when you leave the room and then reward him when you come back. Start with short intervals, might even be 10 secs to start out with - then slowly increasing, then reward each stay. This doesn't have to be extra training either (because I'm sure you do a ton of stuff with working agility). Make him do a sit/stay when you go to the bathroom, or when you're getting your keys for work, etc. For example, Daisy is usually in the living room - I make her do a down/stay when I get something to drink, or when I'm tending to dinner. Most importantly, is to make sure that each stay is succeesful.

If you want to practice it with play, use a find game. Put Victor in sit/stay, then hide a toy - first hide the toy quickly then release him, then start taking your time "hiding" the toy. This is one of my absolute favorite games because it strengthens stays, helps with SA, and increases "scent" skills depending on how hard it is to find the toy. The reward is finding the toy. If Victor likes to tug, hide a tug toy then and I bet it will work great if his reward is a tugging session.

If you can't get him to stop following you - either put him in a crate, tether him to the doorknob, or put him behind a gate.

If you can enlist a friend, have them help you too. Let them hold Victor then walk out of sight, slowly building the length of time and rewarding each successful stay if he doesn't whine. Where I had trouble was increasing the length of time too quickly AND most of the time a woman held Daisy - so remember to practice with men and women if you can so Victor isn't surprised the day of testing.

Hope this helps!
Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Obedience