CGC

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: CGC

Postby Alifaire » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them. We've done a ton of work on sit/down and then wait all for agility. He's rock solid (and quiet) as long as he can see me. I think the silence may trigger his issue. If he can hear me in another room, he'll look out the window or lay on the deck for 15 minutes or more. If he doesn't hear me, he comes looking!

So, how can I help with agility? I'll give it my best shot, even if I have to ask my instructor!

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:12 am

A hah!!!! you mentioned you think it's the silence that triggers Victor's whining. I'm pretty sure the person who supervises the separtion can talk to him, maybe that will help.

teehee, I was just kidding about the agility advice LOL - I'm still looking around for "used" equipment, etc. and waiting for Daisy to get well.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Alifaire » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am

The judge did talk to him - 'that's okay' - 'it's alright' - and finally 'you can't do that'... in that sweet baby voice. It just encourages bad behavior. I wish she would have just said 'knock it off'.

I tried the separation with my granddaughter holding the leash and he was fine. Still a long way from 3 minutes, but it is a start.

If you want to know how to build your own jumps, let me know and I'll send you the instructions.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:22 am

Isnt it funny how some dogs react one way to the "baby voice" and some dogs another....I agree, nothing works better than the low growly, "knock it off "

I'd love the instructions for the jumps - thanks.
Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Alifaire » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:40 am

Here you go...

Pieces needed per jump --

Using 1" PVC and Fittings

4 - 3 way connections
4 - 10" feet (approx)
2 - 2 1/2" short sections to connect feet to support
1 - 42" support bar
2 - 32" uprights
1 - 48" jump bar
2 - 3" bolts with 4 nuts
8 - optional end caps (4 is enough for the uprights and bar, and leave the feet open)
Colored Electrical Tape provides stripes and holds up to the weather.

----------------
Four 10' one inch PVC bars will make 2 jumps with 70" left over

It's not necessary to glue the pieces together.

PVC can be cut easily with a hacksaw. There's also a handy ratcheting tool made especially for cutting PVC.

The holes for the 'jump cups' (the bolts) will need to be drilled with a correct sized bit for the bolt.

If you prefer, you can buy plastic jump cup holders from Cleanrun.com (under 'Trial and Show Gear' / 'Agility Equipment') Please note: their single cup holders fit 3/4" PVC, not 1". The Jump Strips fit 1". So plan accordingly.

To drill holes at the correct height for your jump height -- get the jump together, stand on a hard surface, and measure up. Drill the hole ONE INCH lower than your jump height, because the bar is 1" itself.

AKC heights are 4", 8", 12", 16", 20" and 24".

The bolt/jump holders are on opposites sides, so the bar can be displaced easily when jumped from either direction.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks so much!!!!
Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion