Rally QQ

Please discuss Obedience Training for Competition here.....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Rally QQ

Postby Alifaire » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Victor and I competed in our first Rally trial this weekend. Out of a possible 100, we earned 94 on the first day and 99 on the second day. That gave us 2 first places! :D :D

Victor's not too sure about this obedience stuff. He keeps looking around the ring like "Where did all the jumps go?" and 'Mom, why are you standing next to me?' And when we finish and I want to celebrate - his ears drop and he looks at me like "Celebrate what?" He'll be glad to get back to agility.

Being the only Britt at the Rally ring, he sure gets a lot of attention. Visiting families love that he can sit and receive pets while all the other dogs are crated and steered away from the kids.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Rally QQ

Postby Cindy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:21 pm

YES YES YES YES YES!!! Good job!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby rtropeano » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:32 pm

That's awesome. I've considered trying Rally...what do you think of it - fun or boring?

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Alifaire » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:06 pm

To me, it's not as much fun as agility - except the qualifying rate is much higher! :D Part of that is because I really have to focus on my position, pace, hand commands, and where the next station is located (not to mention whether it's stop and do a behavior or keep moving).

The training for rally has made Victor a much better dog on leash. He's more responsive to a variety of commands such as back, heel, watch me. I'm currently focusing on just getting through the Novice level. Working off-leash is a whole different training program primarily because our training facility is only outside.

I'd say if you have classes locally AND trials that you can travel to, go for it.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks for your insight. All *sports* are on hold right now until I find work again....being laid off stinks....
Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Alifaire » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:08 pm

After our last Rally class tonight, I've got to reassess the 'fun' level for Rally. Since our training area is outdoors and completely fenced in, my instructor convinced me to try the course off-leash. I joked with her to place her bet for how quickly Victor would leave me there to chase birds flying overhead. Well, the faster I moved the faster he moved and the more focused he was! :shock:

So, we completed the course a few more times and Victor was really improving. So, it's more fun to do Rally quickly than slowly which means I have to think faster. Victor really liked it fast and was happy to celebrate at the end unlike his disappointed look when we walk it slowly.

Hope you can get back to work so you can get back to have more fun with your pup!

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:47 pm

LOL, hey we have fun no matter what, I just find things that don't cost money....we do obedience outside at the resevoir. Also, I've been working on another fun thing for *us* to do namely, a job as a Petco dog trainer. I know lots of people don't like the *box* stores, however, this one of the few *paying jobs* that will allow me to bring Daisy to work. If I get the job - I'm allowed to demo with her. So it will strengthen her obedience skills, and bring me me closer to getting a CPDT, which requires 300 hours of service. Plus Daisy is such a ham, she'll LOVE it!

Wish me luck!
Last edited by rtropeano on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Ron » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:11 pm

Good Luck Rose :D :D Ron
Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Alifaire » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:34 am

Here's hoping you get the job! Sounds like one your pup will love. :D

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 pm

How did I miss this post earlier? Long live King Victor! Wow, you have really done wonders with that crazy dog from the shelter lady. :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Alifaire » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:14 am

Thanks for the support. We are competing in Agility today. Love having a dog that can do so many things!

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jotaff » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:40 am

Wow, I'm impressed. Would like to try that when I get Holly home for 'finishing school'
Jotaff
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Alifaire » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm sure she can do it with just a bit of practice. I needed more training than Victor did! :oops:

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Liz H » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:06 am

I'd just like to chime in on Rally. I have competed in AKC obedience. Both my rescue britts have their AKC Companion Dog (CD..it's the first level). One loved agility, but I just didn't enjoy the running and for me, wheezing. We then did quite a bit of APDT Rally0...both dogs love it. The best thing about Rally is that dogs with handicaps can compete as well. I've seen the following in the ring - blind Basenjis, deaf dogs, a very winning 3-legged GSP, and dogs with severe arthritis. The obstacles can be somewhat modified for the handicap with the judge's approval. Further, if you have a dog that is sorta attention-defective, Rally's great because you can talk to them in the ring....jabber, jabber makes the dogs pay attention and they are kept "up."
Liz,Max CD,RN APDT RL1 CL, RL2, CGC;Tyler CD, CGC; and at the Rainbow Bridge - Connie RCP (Retired Couch Potato)
Liz H
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Hmmmm, Brit with ADD?????? LOL......maybe Rally's for us. I've been considering it.....
Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Obedience