teeth chattering

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

teeth chattering

Postby Cindy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:56 pm

Pippa has always done this funny thing when she gets excited and her teeth actually chatter like she's cold. But now she does it every single time she's waiting to be fed. Seriously, how "exciting" can eating the same bowl of food twice a day really be :D :D Does anyone else have a teeth chatterer? I find it somewhat unusual behavior and haven't heard another dog make that sound.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: teeth chattering

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Yes, Sam does this, too! It's really weird! But with him, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when he does it. I asked the vet about it, but of course, he never does it at the vet. He does it sometimes when we're eating, which might indicate anticipation of getting a treat. But sometimes, there is absolutely nothing going on and we can't figure out why his teeth are chattering! I've watched his face, and I can't actually see his mouth moving, but the clicking is loud. I've described it as the noise you hear when a cartoon character on tv has his teeth chattering from the cold! I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one with a dog who does this!!! :roll:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:44 am

I've described it as the noise you hear when a cartoon character on tv has his teeth chattering from the cold!

EXACTLY!!! I can actually see Pippa's mouth/lips quivering when she does it but the movement is minimal compared to the chattering sound she's making. John reminded me that we occasionally hear her doing this when she sees a really nice squirrel so it must be a sign of excitement. Very odd though.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Odd, indeed. Sam's teeth are chattering right now. He is downstairs in the living room all by himself, laying down behind the recliner. I really don't get it! :?
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Maybe Sam is thinking/dreaming about chasing a squirrel or the delicious dinner you make him every day :lol:
My cats make a strange chattering meow when they are watching a bird close by on the other side of the window...not teeth chattering, but a staccato meowing sound almost like a machine gun :shock:
Better teeth chattering from excitement than JJ's LOUD barking when he gets excited...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Behavior