7 week puppy who won't sleep at night

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: 7 week puppy who won't sleep at night

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:56 am

Yes, Pat Miller and Karen Pryor are both excellent. I also highly recommend "My Smart Puppy" by Sarah Wilson and Brian Kilcommons. And don't let the title fool you-this book is actually excellent for training ANY age dog!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby mlynn27634 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:55 am

Update on Rocco: he still sleeps on the bed until bedtime. Last night he jumped off the bed on his own and crawled into his crate. He is 5 months old already. Worst thing about him is eating grass in the yard. He looks like a cow. He also gooses us and I don't know how to make him stop.
He will be getting neutered in a couple of weeks. How do I keep him calm!
mlynn27634
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Yeah Rocco...sounds like things continue to improve. I think the poking is his attempt to get your attention or get you to play...my Gage pokes the cats when he wants them to run so he can chase them...not very polite and the cats largely ignore him, but he keeps trying. I would try to see if there is a pattern of a time or situation in which he pokes you and "pre-empt" the behavior by guiding him to something else...so if he pokes you when you come in from work, try to ask for a sit or touch as he is coming over to greet you and then pet him or even better, play tug or some other game for a little bit...or maybe even just hand him a toy and talk to him as you go on with your routine...the basic idea is to focus on teaching a more appropriate behavior rather than just trying to get rid of the negative behavior...
As far as keeping him quiet, good luck...I do find that "training" uses up a lot of energy...I'm sure others have had more experience in trying to keep a puppy quiet after neutering...
Let us know how things go...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Previous

Return to Behavior