Cat or Bird Dog??

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cat or Bird Dog??

Postby Cindy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:21 am

When we first got Pippa we watched her snag several birds right out of the air! I've never seen a dog do that before and we quickly put a stop to it by attaching a bell to her collar. That was over 4 years ago and we removed the bell after several months (kind of annoying to hear a bell ringing next to your ear when trying to sleep!). Just recently the behavior has started again. She doesn't eat the bird - just kills it and now she's bringing it into the house like a cat would - all proud to show off what she's done. I've never known a dog to either have the skill or desire to stalk a bird and actually be able to jump up and grab it out of the air. Is this normal? In a way I have to admire her athleticism but seriously ... even our cat doesn't kill birds!! Needless to say the bell is back on her collar.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Cat or Bird Dog??

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 am

just saw this...what a hunter! Our first dog, Sam, was a beagle/brittany mix...he used to catch birds the way Pippa does, but only occasionally...the few he caught seemed to be young, just learning to fly...I always thought that was the reason he could get so close...but fortunately, it was only an occasional thing, although not for lack of trying...he was our hunter--regularly found and didn't do nice things to rabbit nests, chasing down rabbits who got in yard and couldn't get out, etc. sigh
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Behavior