Puppy play sometimes sounds like the apocalypse is coming.

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Puppy play sometimes sounds like the apocalypse is coming.

Postby LizBot » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 am

So, today we drove out to visit Jazz's brother (and my mom, of course!).

Obligatory puppy picture of Jake :

It's only been two weeks since they've seen each other. Jake reeeeally wanted to play with Jazz right off the bat, play bowing, barking, yipping, and dancing -- all while trying to climb up my leg to lick my face, he's quite agile. ;) Jazz, on the other hand, decided that instead of engaging he was going to snarl, snap, growl, and generally act like he'd never seen this guy in his life (and how dare that other dog touch HIS mom). My ferocious little hellion spent about an hour and a half being kind of a jerk while poor Jake tried so hard to play nice.

Now, Jake does outweigh Jazz by at least 2.5 pounds, but by the time the tussling was over, Jazz had asserted his dominance. Every time Jake tried to come up to Jazz to play thereafter, there was a lot of paw licking involved for His Highness, The Winner. :P

My mom was pretty concerned about the initial snarling/growling spats, but I thought it was mostly normal.... except that Jazz is the puppy who will love on everyone and try to play with every dog we see at the pet stores, out on walks, at the vet's office, and so on. I've never seen him act so territorial about me in particular, or be so reserved about playing or saying hi. His little ears were pinned back, his tail tucked under, and his body pretty tensed up. It was obvious he was stressed until he had convinced his "big" brother that he was the boss.

I just thought it was interesting behavior for such a gregarious little guy. Anyone else have a Clash of the Titans moment with their dog that was unexpected?
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!
LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Puppy play sometimes sounds like the apocalypse is comin

Postby Cindy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:33 am

That picture is waaaay too cute. From your stories it's a good thing puppies are so adorable or else!!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adele » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Sorry, I can't help. But Jake is a real cutie! I'd just let them be together more often and eventually they'd probably work it out. They are puppies and puppies like to play!

Lola gets jealous if I pay too much attention to any other dog (especially Tramp). Sounds like Jazz was worried Jake might just take his place.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Not to worry....puppies being puppies :) Remember each of them is having different experiences each and every day, and learning from those experiences. They will spend the next year or so getting their status worked out between themselves, as well as all the new dogs and people that they will come in contact with each day. They are "practicing" their body English and vocal interaction....just let them work it out.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby LizBot » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:54 am

Jake is cute, that picture is my favorite. It's labeled "Say Cheese!" in our shared online photo album. ;)

They did better today. The problem is really that my mom and Jake live about 90 miles away from us on a farm so we can't get them together as much as we like. They did better today aside from a little possessiveness over Jake's bully stick, and a spat when I was petting Jazz and Jake tried to butt in on it.

I think they're just noisy. I've heard a lot of Brittanys "talk" quite a bit though. Jazz was very vocal from day one, I just found his behavior strange since he's trying to play with other dogs every time we see one usually.
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!
LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby BARB J » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:10 am

I'm not qualified for give any advice on dogs playing together. But, you sure caught a darling expression on Jazz!
BARB J
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby BARB J » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:12 am

Ugh, I hate that I can't edit! Jake . . . not Jazz this time!
BARB J
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:42 am

You can edit your own post....just click on "edit" in the upper right corner of your post...it will bring up your post, edit as you wish and then re-submit. :)
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby BARB J » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks, Barb . . . uh . . for pointing out the obvious. :? In my defense, I moderate a board with the edit button in a different place and it's so similar in looks to this board that this one just never popped out at me! And, I've been posting for months. Silly me!

And to think I taught both school children and seniors to perform R.A.T.S (Read All The Screen!) :shock: before asking me a question. :roll:
BARB J
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:40 am

:lol: :lol: We all have our "Duh!!" moments :lol:
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Behavior