New pup to the house -adjustment trouble!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

New pup to the house -adjustment trouble!

Postby janjan697 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:25 am

We have a ten yr old submissive briitany. Came to us at two and has always been timid. Our older britt who died in dec was the leader but a very subtle one. We just brought home a one yr old fr a very neglectful heartbreaking situation. New boy is wonderful, very sweet. He is pushing my old boy to play etc and so far my old boy, who us very active, will not correct him. He stands frozen staring at us. New guy will then try to mount him, nips his neck etc, still my guy has only let out a soft growl. Nothing to deter pup.
I step in, correct, and give a time out if need be.
It is breaking my heart to see my boy in this situation! I won't have him pushed around as he looks miserable.
Help and advice please!
janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: New pup to the house -adjustment trouble!

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:06 pm

You probably need to give them more time to adjust to one another, say another 2-3 weeks, before deciding it isn't going to work. Just keep trying to do things with them together, but also spend some special one-on-one time with your old dog. Fosters can take up a lot of your time just with issues that need to be addressed, so finding extra time for the older dog is important too. I certainly agree that if your older dog remains pretty unhappy and not willing to interact that maybe it would be better for all to find another foster home for the young guy. Dogs thrown together with dogs not of their own choosing sometimes, especially older dogs, really just don't have the desire to even try to become buds. Not so different from how people can act with each other.

If another couple weeks don't seem to make any difference then probably best to give your old dog some peace. He may do better with an older foster, or maybe a female. Don't worry about the young pup, he will quickly adjust to a new home, no need to be too concerned about that. Just give it a bit more time, see how it goes.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby janjan697 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks barb,
We are not fostering him, we adopted him. There seemed no ability to foster but I know that was what we should have done.
I am definitely giving it the best chance -I want it to work but I need to be okay with letting him go to a better home if that is what happens. Kills me to think he will have more change but I have to tell myself that the situation he came out of was horrendous and what we are giving him now is actually quite awesome.
The longer I have the little brat the worse it's going to be on me if it turns out we can't keep him. Yikes.
janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby StFrost » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm

A few years ago I had to take a previous foster back for a few months, he was five. Our old britt was 13 at the time (16 now). The first week I thought I was going to have to find someone else to take him--he constantly tried mounting Sammie, and attempted to get her to play. I was at my wits end. But, it did settle down after a week; he got bored of it, and started to entertain himself. Yeah, she was miserable, so I just moved her with me when I was working, and did not allow him to pursue her there.

(by the way, is the new dog kota?)
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby janjan697 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Indeed it is!
Were you involved in transport?
janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby StFrost » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Yeah, we handed him off to you in Blaine. (Marc and Alison)
Sorry to hear about the troubles, but like many have mentioned, sometimes it takes awhile for each to get use to each other. It is heartbreakening while waiting though, I felt guilty everyday....
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby janjan697 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Oh, I can't say enough about Abner-his new name. He is sweet and loving, curious. He loves people and other dogs. He isn't fearful like I thought he'd be. He takes a couple feet back and then returns when he is surprised by something. He is very close to perfect......Everything is checked out with such excitement. And I understand why. His living conditions were horrible. We know for sure he had no food or water for at least ten days and before that, given how thin he is, well, I dunno.
I am in love with him.
It is just so hard to watch my boy looking so miserable.
A trainer is coming tomorrow night to assess and give us some guidance.
We want this to work very badly.
Right now he has seen himself in the reflection of the window at might......he barks his head off.......and it has happened about two dozen times so far....you have to love it.
Thank you for being a part of his rescue. No matter what he will be loved now forever.
janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby janjan697 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 am

We've had some improvement.
My older boy gives some louder growls occasionally...they aren't enough to stop Abner for long but it works in the moment.
His house training is coming along......we have him accepting a long down on leash. That's my sweet moment of sanity.
I think he learned to jump like a pogo stick in the dog kennel for months on end......so we are replacing a section of fence not Abnerproof. He is incredible -where did that strength come from??!?
So I am much more hopeful.
janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Cindy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Kayla is 13 and in the last year we adopted Pippa (4) and Layla (5 and super high energy). Kayla has pretty much learned to ignore the shenanigans of the younger ones "unless" she wants to be part of it. I think it really does take some time for everyone to work it out and personally, I'd give it several months as long as you continue to see improvement. Some dogs are just faster learners than others but it does sound like progress is being made in the right direction.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby StFrost » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:40 pm

yay for progress. bigger yay for progress in first week....
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:29 pm

We like to walk the dogs together so they know they are part of the same pack. I read that a pack of dogs would spend a lot of time walking as they hunt together in the wild so thought maybe their instinct would kick in.

It was a great idea to bring a trainer in (assuming they are a good trainer.) We did that a couple of times too and got some great hints.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby janjan697 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Just an update. We still have some issues.....Abner remains quite pesky with our older boy but it is much less often now and my older Brit doesn't appear miserable anymore.
Abner has begun to gain weight -after we eradicated the worms.
He is very active, very interested in every single thing. On the move constantly. Almost all new experiences make him nervous initially but that too is a giant improvement.
We were hoping he was a water dog but sort of suspicious when we noticed he jumps all puddles when we are out walking. We finally took him to the beach-it was low tide, nobody around. Mason, not a water lover wades up to his ankles but he doesn't swim. So I was surprised to see him head across a little stream that dropped off to chest high water! I'm thinking hmmm, wierd. Of course Abner went right after him and freaked when the water got too high.
He is such a brat with Mason....wondering if dogs have the ability to plot revenge!?
Anyway, we are loving our boy and enjoying every moment that he drives us nuts.
He is far from show dog quality-too white, significant underbite-but he is pretty perfect to us and I am so grateful to all involved in saving his life and driving him across the state to me.
janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Cindy » Sun May 18, 2014 1:49 pm

I love hearing updates and it definitely sounds like progress is being made. When we adopted Layla she had no idea what water was. She would sniff it, poke at it with her foot, and basically avoid it when possible. A year later and she is definitely a water lover, swimming alot and very confident in streams and the ocean. Sometimes these things take a while :D Glad your household is settling down and getting used to each other.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adele » Tue May 20, 2014 6:08 am

Great to hear that things are improving. It took Lola a long time to adjust to having a new dog ("affection stealer" to Lola) in the house. But it did happen gradually and you might still see some improvement. Mine don't play together but they can now play side by side with me. (Lola is a wader - she doesn't like to swim - but she wades through every puddle and into every stream, just doesn't like it when her feet leave the ground I guess.)
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Behavior