Hooray, housetraining! (Really!)

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hooray, housetraining! (Really!)

Postby LizBot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:35 am

Yesterday was the first day I could say Jazz had no accidents in the house! Something finally "clicked" for him and he started going to the back door, usually pawing at the glass or giving a little whimper. I still need to make a doggie door bell hanger for him to ring, apparently time to bump that up to the front of the project list line. :)

The night before that, we almost had no accidents but I was in the kitchen with my husband, cleaning up the dinner mess, when we heard him whimper. My warning bells went off and my husband was closer to him (he was in the adjacent room, chewing on a toy) so I used my Mom-in-a-Panic voice to sharply order an emergency dog pick-up. At this point, hilarity/tragedy ensued. ;) My husband was a bit too slow on the uptake, ran into the livingroom after about 3 seconds of looking at me like I was crazy, then turned and began saying, "Nonononononono!" -- as if that was going to help -- before grabbing Jazz.... with #2 dropping off of him at that very same moment. It happened so fast I didn't have time to laugh or anything. Gotta love potty training -- kids or dogs, it's all full of awesome moments, good and bad. :lol: Luckily Jazz stopped doing his business once hoisted into the air, held about a foot away from my husband's body, of course -- and finished out in the yard. On one hand, it was definitely a failure on our part for not remembering to put him out 15 minutes after he ate. On the other hand, at least the dog managed to give us an alert I could recognize instead of going to the bathroom on my carpet while walking as per the usual. He's only 11 weeks old this Sunday so I'm fairly impressed at the cognitive leap already beginning to happen.

Now if only I can get him to stop gnawing on human flesh.... Bitter cherry was working, but now he licks that off of surfaces and clothes with no problem. I hate to do it, but I might need to up my game to some sort of pepper-based concoction to put on my baseboards and dresser/cabinet knobs, door stops, etc. And I bought a spray bottle with a more intense spray setting to hit him with when he goes after the 2-year-old who can't really defend herself in any productive way. Everything the poor girl does makes the puppy bite more. :(

I'll still take one problem solving itself. Calling that a win for the week. :) Hope everyone else is enjoying training successes as well!
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!
LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Hooray, housetraining! (Really!)

Postby adele » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 am

Sounds like he's starting to "get it". You'll have him trained in no time. They are smart dogs and learn so fast.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby BARB J » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 am

You're getting there! Helps that you caught him in the act! :mrgreen:

Gus's 'bell' are our metal blinds on the French doors. I thought it was cute to teach him to tap at them with the resulting sound serving the same purpose as a bell. Boy, was I wrong! He paws at them alright - it's a wonder they are still hanging at all!

It's proving to be a hard thing to unlearn. I want him to signal his need to go out, but not destroy the blinds in the process. We tried pulling the blinds up and hanging a bell, but he just takes off with the bell like it's a toy. Well, everything IS a toy to a pup! :P

A pup and a toddler? Boy, are you brave! Continued success with potty training . . . both!
BARB J
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Sending Jazz a high five!! :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to Behavior