Suddenly pooping indoors

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Suddenly pooping indoors

Postby adele » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:48 am

I'm posting for a friend whose dog, after a little over a year without any trouble, has started pooping in the house. She went to the vet and apparently there is nothing medically wrong. The dog is about 3 years old and was adopted a little over a year ago. She stays home alone all work days but she gets 1 hour walk before work and 1 hour after. So, it doesn't sound like NEEDS to go... She is crate trained but they've only recently gone bact to using it (because of the poop issue)... the dog did poop in the crate once... What would you experts think of trying (daycare is not an option and another dog is not an option). My friend plans to purchase some DAP and I mentioned those Ultra Calm Biscuits... Does anyone have any better ideas to stop this.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Suddenly pooping indoors

Postby LizBot » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm not an expert but I did just do a bunch of crash reading for suggestions.

What I found was the main causes are usually medical, diet, or environment/schedule changes. Since medical was ruled out for now, that would leave the other two. If they changed food or the amount or time food is given, that could affect the dog's schedule for passing stool. The other possible cause(s) are more abstract, I guess, since some dogs are apparently affected even by a child going to school or new stress on the owners.

Honestly, if it was going on for months and going back to potty training mode didn't fix it, I would call a behaviorist for at least a consult. We had a black Lab/Chesapeake Bay Retriever mix when I was a teenager and she used to leave little presents for us in the living room once a day, about five times a week. My mom didn't seem to care since my brothers and I cleaned it up, but it really was a disgusting problem to have. The repetition of the smell and the clean up was enough to drive me batty, even though I loved the dog. I wish we'd called someone for help but she did that pretty much her entire life until she passed a few years ago. I'm sure she would have been happier if someone could have figured out what the problem was, instead of needing to go potty in the house out of some sort of desperation.
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!
LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby adele » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:22 pm

LizBot wrote: the main causes are usually medical, diet, or environment/schedule changes

Ya, that seems to be it but if none of those things have changed... then what do you do? My friend is just assuming that something happend when she wasn't home and it scared him or something... it must have been big to have such a lasting effect. It leaves it difficult to correct without having any idea of what's going on. The DAP doesn't seem to be have made any difference. Last time I talked to her she was just living with it and cleaning up when she got home.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DLDoiron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Dr. Dodds told me to use Lavender when Dazy Dew was acting strange. I bought the oil and spray at WalMart. I put drops of oil on her collar and sprayed her beding. It worked great on her.
PS stupid me I should have tried it on Doc with the earthquakes. I forgot all about it.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby LizBot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Diana, I don't think anyone can fault you for not remembering some lavender spray when your entire area was literally up-heaved. I hope it helps Doc, if you've been trying it. :(

I have no idea how to fix behavioral issues that have no real cause. Maybe the dog is actually constipated and not voiding completely before your friend leaves for work? That should be easy enough to figure out with a vet, I would imagine. Jazz just had a couple accidents when we added in the grain-free kibble to his raw diet, and I noticed he had them about 5-10 minutes after I had just seen him going outside. It was perplexing to watch him have a bowel movement outdoors then find another one inside, though we first suspected it was because his less-potty-trained brother was visiting and had a bazillion accidents on our carpets. Anything is possible, I guess. I hope your friend doesn't decide to just live with it, it's easy to resent your pet when s/he is making you clean up messes daily for an extended period of time.
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!
LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Return to Behavior