Our Mae is escaping our yard

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Our Mae is escaping our yard

Postby maegirl1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:40 pm

We have a 2+ year old Brittany, Mae, who is jumping the fence and escaping, while we are at work. We turned the fence, so it is smooth on the inside yard and placed PVC pipe at the top, so she can not pull herself over the fence. Well, that did not work.
We have a neighbor who is not fond of dogs, so she is in a bark collar, when we are at work.
We tried kenneling her, only to be told she cries all day.
Does anyone have any ideas to share with us? Any help would be appreciated.
Kim
maegirl1
Puppy

Re: Our Mae is escaping our yard

Postby Cindy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:27 pm

I'd go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up their invisible fencing kit/collar. It's easy to lay the wire down or tack it to the fence you already have. Then it's a matter of training so she knows she'll get a shock if she goes too near the fence. We've had IF (no physical fence) for many years and our dogs never even attempt to go over the line, even if we forget to put the collar on :oops: Another option that might be less expensive (don't really know) is to get regular wire and hook it to a charger. I like the IF better because the collar gives them a beep warning before it shocks them..
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby maegirl1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Thank you for your reply Cindy.
maegirl1
Puppy

Postby Cindy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:29 pm

You might want to do a search on this board because we have had a number of discussions about ways to contain dogs from escaping. You may find some other good ideas.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adele » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:02 pm

My advice is go with the invisible fence. The electric fence with the physical fence... you're dog won't get out.

We have one (without a physical fence) and Lola respects it. Once the snow melts I am going to try training Tramp to it. I was hesitant because I don't know his history but he is no longer allowed outside unsupervised because he goes onto the street to say "hi" to any dog that walks past. Obviously that won't do.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby maegirl1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Thank you for your reply and tips. Any help is appreciated. That is on our next step, I believe. Many people have recommended the invisible fence.
maegirl1
Puppy

Return to Behavior