Running Away!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: Running Away!

Postby adele » Mon May 26, 2014 7:26 am

That's hilarious - train the people! (sounds like a political slogan).
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon May 26, 2014 10:17 am

Ha ha ha!!! But training the people is always the problem and usually the solution!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby BARB J » Mon May 26, 2014 1:29 pm

No kidding! Our closest friends 'love puppies!!!' and do everything within their power to hype them up whenever they come over. They want all the excitement and jumping and licking and tail wagging! I TRIED to enlist their help but it was an epic fail! :?
BARB J
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Mon May 26, 2014 3:35 pm

And I've been trying to train John not to leave food on the counter so layla won't counter surf. So far I've had more luck with Layla!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby emily » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:09 am

hello! im emily and my brittany charlie is 10 years old! wow, old i know. haha. but i'd like to say he stiiillllll does this. we recently moved to a real neighborhood, with like, cars, and fences, and people's yards he cant run into. he used to live on about 2.5 acres with an invisible fence collar. now i have to walk him. i see the problem now. he costantly "sways" back and forth on his leash, strays into the road, into people trying to bike, or jog, or skateboard and i have to reign him in! its like hes a puppy again! i started to bring him to the neighborhood park and let him off the leash, confident in his ability to "stay within rage" i guess? nope. he SPRINTED AWAY, like scary fast. i cannot recall the last time i saw him move like that. but i kept an eye on him and called him back anytime he got to far or "out of range." now when i take him to the park, no promblem. he chills, sniffs, pees, and hangs around. if he gets to far or i cant see him/have lost track of him, i just sternly yell and clap very very loudly "CHARLIE, COME" *clap clap clap* "COME" and so on until he comes racing from wherever he was to find me! what im saying it its trainable. you just have to stay calm, speak sternly and loundly and used any other triggers you taught him!

i've dropped it sometimes too and i see him take a few hopeful steps and i go "CHARLIE, no, COME, SIT" whatever, (while still running towards him of course) until he realizes he better sit his butt down where his is or else. then i calmly pick up the leash, pet him very affectionately and continue! hes even stopped running away (with as much intensity) now!! :D brittanies are very smart, and even old dogs can learn new tricks! (like walking eduquette :) )
emily
Puppy

Previous

Return to Behavior