pacing in yard

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

pacing in yard

Postby cbkuhl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 pm

We adopted our 6 year old female in January of this year (2014). She was easily trained on the invisible fence and has to problem with the boundaries etc. She does fine when we let her out to do her duty. When she is let out in the yard when we do yard work or when we sit on the patio she constantly paces back and forth and in circles. She acts like she in on a mission and acts like she is in a kennel environment. This past weekend my husband was outside doing yard work and she was pacing non stop . I do not have access to the prior owner to see if this was normal behavior for her . She is not at all hyper in the house but once in a while she does walk around the kitchen table if one of us is outside. Any suggestions?
cbkuhl
Puppy

Re: pacing in yard

Postby Lisa » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:11 pm

I've never used an invisible fence, so I could be way off, but could her pacing in the yard maybe be due to her not knowing exactly where the boundary is, so not being sure how far she can go?

Alternately, she could be air scenting and working a scent. She could be bored and not know what to do with herself. She could have a bit of OCD.

Have you tried teaching her to settle or giving her a bone or toy when she's outside with you? You could also bring a dog bed or mat outside for her when you're all outside, so she'll have a specific spot to go settle in.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Cindy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:59 am

We've had 6 dogs trained on IF and never seen this type of behavior so I don't think it' related to that. Sounds more like an anxiety issue to me but I really don't know. I agree with Lisa about trying something to distract her like a bone, throwing a ball, obedience lessons, etc. Not exactly conducive to getting yard work done but it would be nice to break her of the habit so eventually you can!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Magnolia 79 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:55 am

This is purely an experienced guess. We are on our third adopted Brit spanning the past twenty years. All three have become obsessed with me as the alpha male in the house, including pacing constantly when I am not in immediate proximity. Two of the three have been fine if I am far enough away that they cannot sense that I am near. I would try this to see if my theory is correct. I would switch places with your husband and have you do the yardwork and your husband within the perimeter of the IF. If the dog does not pace as before, then you may need to find ways to lessen the bond between your husband and the dog and increase your bond with the dog. Behavior training to lessen separation anxiety may also help. The plus side of this is that the rescue dogs all followed me wherever we went and I never worried about losing them as they worried so much about losing me. Good Luck.
Magnolia 79
Puppy

Postby Cindy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:29 pm

That is really interesting! We've had 7 rescues and, other than 1 and that was temporary, they were all equally attached to both of us. Annie thought John was alpha for about a month or 2 and then she realized who fed her most of the time!! Guess you just never know but the "experiment" would be a good one to try.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby emily » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:15 am

my dog is like that too! when mom leaves for errends he paces, acts nervous, and lies down eventually. and when she gets back its like puppy love to the max! but hey we told the trainer to make him think mom was the alpha so i guess it worked! (in your face dad) but my dog, charlie, has insisble fence too and we let him out often. every time he gets let out he sniffs, paces, digs, stalks squirrels/birds, whatever. so it could be a combination of both! hope i helped! :D lol probaby not.
emily
Puppy

Return to Behavior