Change in behavior

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Change in behavior

Postby lstuart93 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello, I am new to the site and to Brittany ownership.
We got Honey about 2 years ago (she is 4 as far as we know). She was abandoned by her original owners and we got her from a foster mom. She has been a great dog and lots of fun - she is my jogging partner although she is much faster than I am. Anyway about a month ago she started randomly peeing in different parts of the house. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it, she doesn't do it every time we leave her for instance. Tonight we were playing and she went into the dining room and peed on the carpet, so I scolded her and took her outside. I would really like to know what is going on with her so we can correct this behavior - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry
lstuart93
Puppy

Re: Change in behavior

Postby Lisa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:04 pm

I'd be inclined to think Urinary Tract Infection or Bladder infection - have her checked by a vet. They should do a urine culture. If it's an infection, antibiotics will clear it up.

If it's not any kind of infection, and medical test rule out anything else (diabetes, cushings, etc), then I'd treat it as a training issue. I strongly suspect you'll find it's a medical issue, though.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Cindy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:07 am

My immediate thought was a UTI or something along those lines too. Let us know what you find out.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:24 am

Tend to agree it sounds like a UTI. Just wanted to stress what Lisa said about a "urine culture" test. This is a culture and sensitivity test and is very important and much more thorough than a simple urine test. I'd go the extra bucks to get the complete test as it will narrow down the specific bacteria that may be the cause of the infection, if a UTI is the cause of the issue. UTI's are best treated with an antibiotic for the specific bacteria...the culture test will get that defined.

Just one other thought....a break in house training can sometimes be a stress related issue as well. Have there been any new situations in your lives that may be stressing the dog? And of course other health issues can also induce stress, so maybe a good complete medical check up would be a good idea, especially if it has been some time since the last one. Still thinking UTI, but getting that possibility eliminated will help figuring out what is going on.

Hope all goes well....let us know what happens.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby emily » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:45 am

what we did with my bittany is put bells on all the doors. then we trained him that "bell=person=door open" it took a looooooooooong time but he still does it when he needs to pee, or even needs attention! he has recently been staring at us, then when we tell him off, he leaves. we check his water, food stuff like that. then we sit down. ya know, whatever, weird dog thing. then he rings the old bell, and were like "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh" he gets let outside, bing bang boom, he pees! but also any medical conditions may apply to you. :oops: just trying to help if its a training thing :D
emily
Puppy

Return to Behavior