Boys...are gross!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Boys...are gross!

Postby brittienewbie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've posted...but I have been lurking and learning a lot from all of you Brittany masters! I've got a question, but first an update...I just can't help but brag on my boy.

So Bear, who used to be known affectionately as Bear-acuda, has outgrown the piranha, er...puppy stage. He's turning out to be an all around good dog. He's gentle with my nephews, well behaved in the house (usually), plays nice at the park, goes for walks in the neighborhood, is good off leash...you get the picture. Thank goodness!

I mentioned before that he's passed his CGC test and we've graduated from beginner's rally to the formal rally class. Beginner's rally is really to teach the signs to the owner, the real deal is about perfecting the tasks. He's also been taking agility lessons from a friend of a friend who has some really successful agility and tracking dogs. However, the Wisconsin winter has put our outdoor lessons on hold.

Most importantly, in my book, he and my husband are developing a really great relationship. They've gotten 4 pheasants (one was a 400 yard retrieve!) and a grouse this season, not too bad for a first season out, they've been out two or three days, and the season isn't over. His point, flush, and retrieve are all really great! My husband and Bear go hunting together, watch hunting shows together, and read hunting magazines together, super cute.

So...brag session over, onto the question...please don't judge me, I'm just going to come right out and say it:

Bear drinks his urine.

Mid-stream he bends around (agile little fella) and drinks his pee.

My husband and I have been working on the "leave it" command, which he knows in every other situation. He's getting better with us but he still does it when my MIL comes to let the dogs out during the day. If she goes to him to turn his head away from the "stream" he stops urinating. I think this originated when he was a youngster and had several UTIs in his first few months of life. Any advice would be great...my MIL is not crazy about this situation and I want her to keep coming back to let them out during the day!

Thanks!
brittienewbie
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Boys...are gross!

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:30 pm

All good news about how your boy is growing up. Can I say "we told you so" :D :D So many plus-es, great report....thanks for sharing :D

Now the urine "treats".....health-wise this is not a bad thing. Trust me, there is no harm in this activity. However, I know the YUK! factor gets to us two-footers :roll: My only experience with this was with sled dogs who chose to eat "yellow" snow. I found with them that a dash (really, just a sprinkle) of salt in their diet took care of the imperative. That said, if you use commercial food (as opposed to a home-cooked or raw diet) you need to check the salt content that exists already in the food before determining that this is what he is after. There are other minerals, plus some good bacteria, that are excreted in the urine. It could be he is instinctively seeking those micro-nutrients....just guessing here, keep that in mind.

That is my only thought....could be there is more info if you research this on the internet. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say, and also let us know what you do and what works, or not :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby brittienewbie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks Barb! I should have mentioned that he eats Fromm Game Bird formulation and I supplement with probiotics.

I'll check the salt content of his food...good idea!
brittienewbie
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Cindy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 pm

I love haring how Bear has outgrown part of his name!! And all I have to add to Barb's response is that basically, boys can be disgusting creatures. It doesn't seem to matter if they are dogs, cats, horses, or humans - they just have their "moments." As my husband just said (after I read your post and he stopped laughing) "at least he's not eating poop-cicles!" Sorry, no help coming from this camp :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adele » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:54 pm

It is good to hear that Bear is growing up to be a good boy! Sounds like he's developing into a wonderful companion.

Don't know about drinking urine... sigh, I'm with Cindy, count your blessings he's not eating poo. I cannot break Lola from that and it is really the only time I find myself angry at her. It's gross and unhealthy. Tramp occasionally tastes Lola's urine but that is an entirely different matter and perfectly normal behaviour for males.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Wow-and I thought it was bad when Sammy would pee on his own leg! (Not intentionally, of course.) Guess I won't be complaining about that anymore....it could be so much worse!!! (Sorry, I'm no help......)
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby brittienewbie » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:18 am

Oh, he does that too!
brittienewbie
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Return to Behavior