Winnie Needs Social Skills!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Winnie Needs Social Skills!

Postby mkilcz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:26 pm

So, I need some advice…My son brought Ziggy, his new ABR rescue buddy over to meet Jack and Winnie twice this week, and it’s clear that Miss Winnie needs to develop some social skills.
First off, Ziggy is an absolute sweetheart! Very laid-back and friendly… just a happy dog. Jack is fine with him, and vice versa. They sniffed, they barked a few times, and that was that. But Winnie!! She went absolutely nuts the first time she saw him. We managed to take everybody for a walk in the field the first night, and eventually she calmed down. At home later, we put Winnie and Ziggy on opposite sides of our fence, and she started right back up. After a while, we were able to bring Ziggy into the yard keeping everybody leashed. Ziggy pretty much was just ignoring Winnie at this point, so she started taking quick little nips at him, until he made a big scary lunge at her, and then she backed off and decided to stick to barking. He didn't hurt her, btw.
Last night, Jack and Ziggy played in the yard for a while Winnie barked through the window. When we brought her out, she calmed down and it was pretty good, until Winnie got snappy with Ziggy again, and he scruffed her pretty good. Again, she backed off… quietly this time.
Not sure how to proceed… Winnie is definitely the boss dog between her and Jack. Jack has been very tolerant with her, and she’s never had another dog put her in her place. She really doesn’t physically interact with any other dogs in our neighborhood, except through the fence. My son thinks we should just let them figure it out, but Winnie is a petite dog at 32 lbs., and Ziggy is a big guy. While I don’t think he’d hurt her intentionally, I’m concerned. But I really want them all to get along. Jack is 11 and gets weary of Winnie’s antics… Ziggy would make a perfect play buddy for her, and she’s help him lose the extra weight he carries fast.
Also wondering how this will play out since although she'll see Ziggy frequently, it won't be an every day thing. So, any thoughts or ideas on how we can teach Winnie how to make new friends would be appreciated!

Marge
mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Winnie Needs Social Skills!

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:00 pm

MPO.....your son is right, just let Ziggy and Winnie work it out. It may take awhile, especially since they are not together 24/7, but they WILL get it worked out. Human interference usually just delays the conciliation...Winnie may obey your commands, but the dog-dog dynamic will only really be finalized if they do it their way.

Edited to add: Getting the dogs together in different venues frequently will help, just in case there is some territorial issue involved. The more they are together the faster things will resolve.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:10 pm

I agree to let them figure things out. Easier said than done because it might be upsetting to witness. Barb is right though ... Dogs DO work things out and human intervention may not agree with the way dogs settle things. I think if you can give them enough space so no one feels too confined it might help.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Winnie Needs Social Skills! (Updated)

Postby mkilcz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:47 am

So what a difference a week has made...
We still have some work to do, but all three dogs are now fine together inside and outside.
Winnie and Ziggy have actually become nap buddies!

Marge
mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:42 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D Sometimes you just have to wait on the dogs!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to Behavior