Hole Digging

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hole Digging

Postby Cindy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Here's a new problem for me ... Pippa and Layla have started digging holes, mostly around the base of where we have the bird feeder but sometimes elsewhere. I've tried staking plastic netting on the ground and all that does is send them someplace else to dig. I have to assume they are smelling some little critter like a mole because they both have incredible noses. At any rate, it's a very BAD habit and one that may cause a broken ankle if I'm not careful. Any suggestions??
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Hole Digging

Postby Lisa » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:50 am

Britty was a hole digger, and I had success with giving her a designated spot to dig in. She got encouraged whenever she dug in "her spot" and got in big trouble when she dug elsewhere. She figured it out pretty quick. I just sectioned off a corner on the side of my house with some landscape timbers and filled it with dirt and sand and that was her digging spot.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby BPGingerMom » Sat May 21, 2016 8:34 pm

Ginger digs in the back yard sometimes in the same two places in the backyard. I fill the holes back up w dirt. When I scoop her poop, I put a couple of pieces on top of those filled holes. She seems to leave them alone.
Good luck!
BPGingerMom
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Tue May 24, 2016 8:34 pm

good idea...Gage digs when he smells chipmunks...unfortunately, they dig under our cement slab by the back door...I fill their holes with rock, push it in with a stick and cover the ground with dirt and mulch...If I get enough rock in the hole, chipmunks seem to move on...it is an ongoing, moving project though...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Wed May 25, 2016 4:49 am

The hole digging has begun again in our yard. It definitely occurs when John and I are both working on the same days so a bit of "acting out" on the part of the dogs!! Back to filling the holes with dirt and replanting grass :evil: :evil:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri May 27, 2016 7:04 am

or they feel it is their jobs to make sure any critters that might be in the yard are hunted down so they can't attack you when you return from work... :lol: :lol: :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby jacleveland » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:54 pm

HI, I'm new to this forum and have a 4 month old female Brittany--besides my grandparents having a Brittany when I was growing up, this is my first experience. Learning A LOT. Our little sweetie digs a lot, too, and I read what someone else mentioned, putting their poop in the hole and covering it--also read that sprinkling some red pepper flakes on the poop and then burying it can also help, and it really seems to be working for us. And it's all natural!!!
jacleveland
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:56 pm

thanks for sharing your ideas...I always am on the look-out for suggestions...and "real" experience counts a lot...
I wonder if the pepper masks whatever smell drew her to that place?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Behavior