Fence fighting

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Fence fighting

Postby kat » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Any advice or suggestions on stopping this? The next door neighbors have two dogs that come to our chain link fence and act like they want to rip our throats out. Copper stays away from the fence, I think he's scared of them, but our young Golden gives it right back. The neighbors are no help, but I don't want my dog doing this (and the noise, yikes!). It's only those dogs, the other neighbors dogs and ours all get along great. We have a dog door and like to give them access to the yard when they want...
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Fence fighting

Postby Cindy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:45 pm

I really don't have any personal experience since I've never lived any place with a physical fence but ... would it help if you hung something on the fence so they couldn't see each other, like a tarp or a blanket?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Cindy wrote:I really don't have any personal experience since I've never lived any place with a physical fence but ... would it help if you hung something on the fence so they couldn't see each other, like a tarp or a blanket?
Or, do you have an e-collar so you could vibrate or nick your dogs if they started going at it?
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby dmedric » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:13 pm

There's a product called "fence weave" that would prevent the dogs from actually seeing each other (of course, they could still hear/smell each other, so I don't know if it will solve the problem). Here's a link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pexco-250-ft ... lsrc=aw.ds
dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:35 pm

If I had any brilliant ideas, I'd have told you when I was there :)

Unfortunately, with the folks next door not caring, it makes it hard. Ideally, they would correct their dogs as their dogs are the instigators.

Only thing I can think of is to block access to that side of the fence, which you've done. But it's hard when your run is on that side too. Maybe Invisible fencing along that side so that your dogs can't get as close to the fence? But that doesn't solve the problem when you have company, and the dogs would have to wear the IF collars.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Cindy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:01 pm

I just had lunch with a friend who's been having trouble training her Corgi to stop barking. She said she did the research and ordered one of these collars: [urlhttp://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/barkwise-series-comparison.htm][/url] I don't know much about them but wondered if it would help to at least keep your dog from barking. She mentioned there was one thing that set off some kind of signal so maybe that would work on the neighbor's dogs??? [urlhttp://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer.htm][/url] Looks like there's a 45 day money back guarantee so might be worth a try.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby kat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Hmmm, Cindy, that sounds interesting. I'm going to have to look into that, thanks!
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:54 am

My folks tried one of those anti-barking devices to get the neighbors dogs to quit barking...it freaked out their own dog and now she won't even go outside if dogs are barking. So just a warning that it could backfire. My parents' dog is staying with me right now and I have to force her to go outside if Jasper or Charm are barking. She panics and wants to come inside.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:05 pm

My past experiences with fence-fighting were with kennel dogs. It was stopped by putting at least one of the dogs where they could not get right next to the fence. The fence does not allow the dogs to meet properly, sniff, circle, etc., plus the dynamic of "territory" enters the situation and adds to the frustration. Moving the dogs in the kennel situation is easy. In your situation the neighbors HAVE TO work with their dog and you and your dog together. Best to start off with the dogs meeting in a neutral territory (a long way from the fence or either yard), say a park or someone else's house. There should be several meetings until the dogs are friendly with one another, allowed to sniff, even play, and get to know one another. Then and only then should they be allowed to "meet" at the fence. They should be under control (leashed) and treats ready if they behave. Each of you should walk up and down the fence line chatting, treating the dogs, everybody staying calm....try to not let your body English indicate that you are tense....you want everybody to be calm and cool. After a week or two, you can test the situation and let the dogs out alone, but be sure you can observe them and act quickly if the situation deteriorates.

If none of the above works, the only thing is to block their vision of one another....they will still know the other is there, but not being able to see one another limits the eye/body English input and they are less likely to react other than sniffing at the bottom of the fence. No guarantees that will work either once the fence fighting has had a chance to start. The dogs have got to meet and get to know one another properly, hopefully it is not too late.

Personally, I do not believe you should use negatives like a shock collar on your dog in this situation....it really just exacerbates the intensity of an already bad situation. Your dog will probably blame the other dog for the shock. IF might work, but again, you really have not solved the problem of the dogs not getting to know one another properly. And IMO a bark-collar should only replace a "no-bark" or "leave-it" command, such as when you are not there to command the dog to be quiet.

Without the cooperation of your neighbors you are between a rock and a hard place :cry: Hope you can solve this....it is very frustrating for everyone involved. I have two neighbors who have this very same issue, and they won't even speak to one another, they just go out and yell at their dogs and yank them back into the house :roll:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby kat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 pm

Yeah, the neighbors won't be any help. These dogs attack the fence if anyone, human or dog, comes near the fence, it's awful. And, I agree the collar wouldn't work even if I was leaning that direction - we aren't here full time to monitor and shocking or even vibrating isn't going to ever work if it only happens part of the time. I kinda like the noise emitting device Cindy suggested, but these dogs bark at other neighbor fences too, I wonder if it would send my dog the wrong signal? We have strung temporary fencing up a foot or so inside the fence line when we've had guest dogs here, it just irritates me that I have to block off part of my yard while they're dogs continue to attack our fence. I don't get that they don't care how much noise their dogs make. Ugh!
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Behavior