Grooming Problem

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Grooming Problem

Postby Frisco » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:31 pm

My almost 2 year old Brittany is the most loving obedient dog we have had. However, trying to brush him or cut his nails is like roping a wild coyote and trying to groom it! He doesn't try to bite as much as he thrashes. Does anyone else have this problem?
Frisco
Puppy

Re: Grooming Problem

Postby Cindy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:05 pm

I don't have the grooming problem but Layla HATED having her nails trimmed and they have to be done almost every week (country living and no hard surfaces to wear them down)! When we first adopted her it took two of us (one to hold and one to trim) to wrangle her. I started out just by cutting one nail and giving her a treat. Sometimes it took almost the entire week to get all of her nails trimmed and then we had to start over again!! But after a few months she was greatly improved and three years later I don't have any problem. One thing that has helped me is using the bench on our deck. She seems much happier being asked to sit on the bench next to me rather than me having to get her on the ground. It doesn't make much sense to me ... then again, she's is a Brittany!! :D :D
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Frisco » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks for the tips. We will try treats. We use treats when we go on walks as he gets so excited when he sees other dogs. We make him sit and give him a treat .
Frisco
Puppy

Postby Cindy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:07 pm

If your dog is food/treat motivated you can teach him alot. We had one Brittany who could have cared less about treats and that was a bit of a challenge until she grew up!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Lisa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Both of my dogs act like I'm cutting their feet off when I try to do toenails with them on the ground. If I put them up on my grooming table, they aren't thrilled with it but behave much better. With Charm, I will put the grooming table outside so she can watch the birds as I do her toenails and groom her.

So...maybe try doing his nails with him elevated? It also makes it easier because you don't have to bend over the dog to do the nails; they are right at eye level.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby gagesbarb » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:33 pm

In our classes, when we work on "handling" any part of the dog's body, we use Cindy's method...teach that handling predicts treats...we start with what the dog tolerates (i.e. touch the paw) then treat, repeat...then put your hand around the paw, then treat...then pick up paw and treat...if they will let you pick up the paw, you can start there...but we don't want to force the dog and overload them...then, we may use a metal spoon or the clipper and just tap the nail...the metal seems different than a touch with your hand...and I find when I get to clipping, they do much better if I take off just a little bit at a time...We suggest you practice this everyday, but just for a minute or so...takes patience, but works...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby BPGingerMom » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:18 am

https://drsophiayin.com/videos/entry/tr ... ail_trims/
Love this video about nail clipping. Seems like magic.
BPGingerMom
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Here's another video of nail trims, using a clicker...also amazing!

http://www.video.clickertraining.com/ca ... ile-tucker
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Behavior