separation anxiety

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

separation anxiety

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:18 am

My sister in law recently adopted a 4 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. She is a beautiful girl, considering she's not a Brittany :lol: :lol:

Anyway, here's the background. My SIL's friend had the dog since she was a puppy. She had to give the dog up, so my SIL agreed to take her. Lily(the dog) has separation anxiety. She had it before the move, so I know it's not stress from the change. My SIL and her oldest brother (retired) live with my mother in law, who has Alzheimer's. They care for her, so there is always somebody home. My SIL leaves for work at the ungodly hour of about 5am. One morning last week, she decided to leave Lily out of her crate when she left, thinking it would only be maybe 2 hours or so before someone got out of bed. Apparently in those 2 hours, Lily did a pretty good job of chewing at the door!

Lily also seems very restless and does not settle. My SIL takes her for several walks every day, including a 2-3 mile walk each day when she gets home from work. Another retired brother who lives close by stops in every other day and also takes her for a walk, so she gets plenty of exercise. She said even after coming home from a long walk, Lily will still continue to pace the floor and act restless. She said she can never even tell when Lily needs to got out to pee, because she is ALWAYS pacing.

Also, we noticed that her bottom front teeth appear really worn down. Her friend told her they were like that because of the anxiety chewing. I suggested various chew toys, but my SIL said she has no interest in them. Other than this behavior, she is a wonderful dog. She is friendly, she walks great on a leash, she likes to be brushed. Any suggestions on how to ease her anxiety and get her to lay down and relax?
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: separation anxiety

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:59 pm

would she settle down in her previous home? if so, maybe time will help...

don't know for sure, but wonder if DAP or rescue remedy might help as well?
there's also the music--"Through a dog's ear" Haven't tried it myself, but maybe someone has had experience... here's a reference http://throughadogsear.com/

There are also training protocols for relaxation (as well as for separation anxiety)
Dr. Karen Overall's relaxation protocol is very structured... http://www.dogdaysnw.com/doc/Protocol_f ... verall.pdf

I don't know how to make these a direct link, but you can cut and paste to find them...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:41 am

My go to herbal drug of choice is always UltraCalm biscuits from Drs. Foster and Smith. I don't know how they'd work on SA but they will definitely take the edge off dogs who are anxious in the car.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will pass these on. I remembered someone mentioning calming biscuits before, but didn't remember what kind. I always order stuff from Drs. Foster & Smith, so maybe I'll add that to my next order! I also found that Patricia McConnell has a book on treating separation anxiety, so I'll suggest both that and the sites gagesbarb found. It's so great to have you guys as resources!!!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:44 pm

went to a seminar today given by Nicole Wilde...her topic was separation anxiety. She has written a number of books, but Don't Leave Me is a step by step guide to dealing with separation anxiety...
Just another resource...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Behavior