calming biscuits

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: calming biscuits

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:44 pm

hmmm
well...glad nothing obviously bad came out...
are you supposed to give her the pain med in the evening every day?
I would think if it is rimadyl or something like that, it would work quickly--like ibuprophin or tylenol for us...
It will be interesting to see what happens tonight...

maybe not a "ghost," but my Sam who was very noise sensitive would sometimes react to sounds we couldn't hear...
or didn't notice until he reacted and we listened very carefully...
he would be very fearful...got worse as he got older...oddly enough, for as afraid as he was of all kinds of noises, storms didn't
bother him until he got older...then, storms, or even "pre-storm" weather made him nervous...

and interesting re the cataracts...I wonder--Gage is hesitant about going downstairs (unless he forgets and thinks a snack is coming) in the evening
if the light is not on...I figured his vision was not as good...I'll ask about cataracts next time we see the vet...

thanks so much for letting us know...thinking about her and you...
let us know what happens tonight...
I always learn sooo much from everyone's thoughts and experiences!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:16 pm

She thinks Emma is being haunted by the deer that wants his leg back!!! :lol:

Let's go with this! Seems as likely as anything at this point! :) :) Not funny, I know, as you'd rather have an explanation. I'd be tempted to see how the medicine works and then try the calming biscuits as a preventative. Very odd.....
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 am

thinking of you and Emma...how are things going?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 pm

We're to give her a pill 3 times a day, and if it seems to be helping, then cut her back to twice a day. Monday evening was good, but I think she was tuckered out. Tuesday evening, she was bad again-panting and clingy. Yesterday, we were getting together with some friends. Left the house around 7pm and got home about 9pm. She was fine when we got home and fine all night. Same thing today-seemed normal. She had her 3 pills today. I think tomorrow we will go with 2 pills and see what happens.

Gagesbarb, I've been thinking about the noise sensitivity. She's always been such a crazy, brave girl! She goes hunting, so is obviously not afraid of gun shots. I've seen her run outside in the middle of a thunderstorm, there was a LOUD clap of thunder, and it didn't even faze her! She trots along side my husband's John Deere tractor when he is working around the yard and woods, and will even jump up on his lap and go for a ride!

The only noise that I've seen her react negatively to is when the smoke detector beeps when the battery is getting low. And that actually happened recently, although she didn't start acting like this until maybe a week or two later. Yesterday after we ate dinner, I was sitting at the kitchen table sorting through papers when the microwave oven beeped for no apparent reason (it wasn't being used). It beeped twice, and then about 5 minutes later, beeped one more time. We have no idea why it did that, but we unplugged it. The beep was similar to the low battery smoke detector warning. That's the first I ever noticed the microwave do that, but now we wonder if maybe it was doing it more often? But what still doesn't make sense is, she's never been upset in the morning, and she's always been fine when we get home from work. The clingy behavior never starts until 6:30pm at the earliest, so I'm still not sure if these strange beeps are the cause of it or if it is something else.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:19 am

thanks for the update!! Are the pills for pain?
It can be so hard to figure out...Sam, who was our noise sensitive guy, would react differently at different times of day...
if he heard something that scared him at dusk, he wouldn't go into that area in the evening, but was OK in the morning...
but since Emma is afraid/reacts in the evening, and if it was the microwave, you'd think you would have heard it...
I will say that we didn't use the toaster oven for years because when we turned it on (no beeps turning it on), Sam would run off and hide...
don't know what he was reacting to, but who needed a toaster oven anyway??
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:15 am

I'm relieved to know that we aren't the only ones with dogs who go nuts over anything that beeps ... microwave, toaster oven, smoke detectors, or even large equipment that beeps when it backs up (like the garbage truck). Oh, I forgot to mention the little notification beep on my cell phone.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:36 am

gagesbarb wrote:thanks for the update!! Are the pills for pain?
I will say that we didn't use the toaster oven for years because when we turned it on (no beeps turning it on), Sam would run off and hide...
don't know what he was reacting to, but who needed a toaster oven anyway??

Don't I know it!!! :lol: :lol:

The vet said the pills should help in case she has any inflammation or pain. He had suggested she might be getting a touch of arthritis which is causing her some discomfort, but he hasn't seen this dog run, jump and dig holes!!! I don't think arthritis is the problem. And he also suggested diabetes, because I mentioned that she seems to be peeing more often, but the blood test didn't show anything abnormal.

The last few days have been fine. She hasn't done her panting/clingy routine since Tues evening. She does seem just a little more clingy than usual in the evening, but nothing really excessive and she hasn't been so agitated. Starting to think it might have been the beeps from either the smoke detector or microwave, but it still seems odd to only have that reaction in the evening. We live in PA where there are lots of Amish, so maybe we should just convert to Amish and eliminate anything that beeps from our home? Cindy, what do you think? Willing to convert to Amish for the sake of our dogs? :wink:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Yay!! glad she is better, even if you're not sure why or what was wrong...
hopefully the positive trend will continue!

I guess reacting to beeps is part of what being a sensitive, "soft" dog means? :roll:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Cindy, what do you think? Willing to convert to Amish for the sake of our dogs? :wink:

I'm in!! I've always wanted a horse that could pull a carriage and electricity is over rated anyway!!
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Agreed! As long as I have indoor plumbing, I'm good! :D
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:14 am

Hope things continue to be OK...
are you still giving her pain meds?

maybe the ghost is vanquished and the "beeps" attacks have faded...
if novel situations and having to "think" about those new situations help exercise our brains and decrease the chances of Alzheimers,
those of us with Brittanys in our families should be in great shape! :lol: :lol: :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Previous

Return to Behavior