calming biscuits

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

calming biscuits

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Does anyone know if Drs Foster & Smith still has those calming biscuits? I had ordered some last year. I'd like to get more, but I'm not seeing them on their website.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: calming biscuits

Postby Cindy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 pm

This is what I've always used - Ultra-calm - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20510 Recently I've used the tablets but they just gulp them down so they must still taste good.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Cindy, I'm curious. It says to use these before thunderstorms, trips to the vet, etc. I wonder if they work AFTER a dog has become agitated? Lately, Emma has been having episodes now and then where, if she were a person, I might think she was having an anxiety attack. It happened yesterday evening and we couldn't figure out what started it. All of a sudden, she became super clingy and was panting and nothing we did would calm her down.

Tonight the same thing happened, but I noticed it started shortly after she came in from going out to pee. I took Sam out on a leash and let Emma run, like usual. She came back without me having to call her and seemed fine, but shortly after coming in, it started again. Almost as if maybe something outside had scared her, but she didn't bark at anything while outside & I couldn't hear her chasing after anything. When we came back in, she actually went back to the kitchen door & frantically scratched at it like she wanted to go back out, and she NEVER scratches at the door! Then she came into the living room with us and started with the clingy behavior and the panting.

I think for now, we will start taking her out on a leash after dark and see if this continues. I just don't know what's got into her! I had actually ordered the calming biscuits last year for my sister in law's dog that has separation anxiety. Never thought I might need something like that for my brave little Emma!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:12 am

All dogs are different but we've used them on Layla in the car when she just wouldn't settle for a 6 hour trip to the beach. I usually like to give them ahead of time but usually Layla is pretty good once we get on the highway. At any rate, I would definitely try them after the fact if you need to. Since they are all herbal, I might give her a couple in the evening before letting her out just to see if that works and possibly break the routine/habit? I wonder what's going om with Emma though. Let me know if you discover anything.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:13 am

Do you think she could be in pain or just feels different when she pees? maybe beginning UTI?
though you'd think she'd react like that during the day when she pees...
good idea to take her out on a leash...
so hard to figure out what is going on with these guys...and such a worry when they are "off" :(
Please let us know what happens!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

MaggieRocks wrote:..... but I noticed it started shortly after she came in from going out to pee......she actually went back to the kitchen door & frantically scratched at it like she wanted to go back out, and she NEVER scratches at the door! Then she came into the living room with us and started with the clingy behavior and the panting.

Thinking a trip to the vet is in order. Emma's actions sound like pain indicators. Make a list of all the abnormal behaviors, especially noting time intervals. Vet visits with mysterious symptoms can sometimes be a bit unnerving and a written list will make sure you cover everything.

Fingers crossed for good answers and a hopeful outcome....keep us posted.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:21 pm

I will definitely start keeping track of these episodes. It happened 2 days in a row, but each time, it only happened late evening. Her appetite has been the same and her energy level has been the same. I'm curious to see if she does it tonight since we will be keeping her on a leash when she goes out.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:33 am

I think what Barb said makes sense...wonder if it could be related to reflux/heartburn/uncomfortable tummy after she eats? You might not see it after breakfast if you are gone to work...but I would think you would see some burping or something...Gage does this weird coughing thing where he looks like he's going to throw up, but just sort of clears his throat...also, his breath began to smell bad...otherwise, fine...he used to throw up bile in the morning and vet had me give him a spoonful of food before bed and that fixed it...he has been doing coughing thing for a long time--no worse...vet said heart and lungs and teeth/mouth are fine and suggested giving him pepcid...seems to help a little but I'm also changing food around...used to feed him Fromms, but I'm doing more what I'm doing for JJ's sensitive stomach--limited ingredient Natural Balance plus cooked chicken breast to give them a little more protein...seems to help...We don't really know how old Gage is but best guess is 10+/- so I'm thinking maybe his stomach is getting more sensitive?

sorry to get off track, but just wonder about the pattern of happening a bit after Emma eats...
again, please let us know what happens...I feel attached to these dogs (and people) after reading about them and also, I learn so much from others' experiences and thoughts.
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:41 pm

I guess I'll be calling the vet tomorrow to set up an appointment for this week. We kept Emma on a leash yesterday except when my husband was outside to keep an eye on her. He even took her out to the sportsmen s club for a good run. I was keeping a close eye on her in the evening during her "bewitching hour" but all was fine and I thought it might have been something about finding that deer leg and she was over it now. But last night at 11:15pm, she jumped out of bed and started scratching at the window! (2nd floor bedroom, so not a good thing) Then she ran downstairs and did the same. My husband ran her out, said she peed and pooped, but when they came back in, she started all over again with the panting and clinginess. This morning, as usual, you would never know anything was wrong. She goes out to pee, comes in and eats her breakfast, is in and out all morning and is perfectly normal. I just don't understand why this is happening only in the evening (and very late last night). You would think if it was a UTI or sensitive stomach or anything like that, it would happen each time she eats or each time she goes to pee.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby britlover » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:15 pm

This may be a far reach, but I had a situation with one of my brittanys a few years ago where in the middle of the night he would wake with an ear-splitting shriek - not a whine, like he was in intense pain. I thought maybe he had a cramp or something and would jump out of bed and look him over, and found nothing. He would then go back to sleep like nothing was wrong. He was completely normal, active and healthy acting at all other times. I even started to wonder if he could have nightmares, I was so stumped as it was happening every night roughly at the same time. I finally thought about the fact that he eats at the same time every evening, and maybe there was something in his GI track that was inflamed or something, and when his meal made it to that part of this system it caused pain. I then realized I was giving him a small chew stick each evening, something like a 6" bully twist, that maybe was causing that irritation in his system. I immediately stopped giving him the chew and he never had the issue again.
Thought I'd mention it, as it drive me nuts and was so relieved when I figured it out. Hope you can solve this mystery soon too!
britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 am

How did Emma do last night?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby MaggieRocks » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Same thing. Started the panting and clinging behavior around 6:30pm. I was able to make an appointment for her at 4:45 today. Not the vet we usually see (she is off on Mondays, but it's at the same vet clinic) but I didn't want to wait any longer. I hope he'll know if it's a behavior issue or a pain issue, but I'm guessing there will be tests involved. :(
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Fingers crossed! Please let us know what you find out.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:16 am

thinking about you and Emma...
how did she do last evening and what did the vet say?

fingers and paws crossed that you got some helpful info and no major problems...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby MaggieRocks » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm

I didn't really learn anything, and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. He found nothing wrong during his exam. He did mention that she has a "grade 3" heart murmur, but said it's nothing to worry about (yet, at least) and wouldn't be causing this issue. He also noticed the start of cataracts. Again, nothing that would cause this behavior and I guess fairly common in an almost 10 year old dog. He did a blood and thyroid test. I called this morning for the results, and everything checked out normal.

He did give me a prescription that he said would help to ease any pain or inflammation she might be having. I gave her a pill when we got home, and she was fine last night. Not sure if the pill acted that quickly or if she was just tired out from the excitement of a trip to the vet.

On a lighter note, one of my co-workers mentioned that she's read dogs can see ghosts. She thinks Emma is being haunted by the deer that wants his leg back!!! :lol:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Behavior