Therapy Dog??

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Therapy Dog??

Postby Cindy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:58 am

Last night we went to visit the 89 year old mother (Mary) of our best friend who is in assisted living. We were supposed to take her out for dinner but she wasn't feeling well (upset stomach) so we decided to bring Pippa in to visit her. Pippa (our little timid dog) walked right through the automatic doors and never blinked an eye. She rode up in the elevator (never been in one before) and politely got out of the way when a woman with a walker joined us. When we entered the apartment of our friend we dropped her leash and Pippa immediately jumped up on the sofa (no surprise there) and snuggled up with Mary, a woman she'd never met. She kept scooting over to get closer to her and then gently laid across her stomach, almost like she knew there was discomfort in that area. This was very unusual behavior for Pippa as she is generally not inclined to go up to people she doesn't know. Mary was so happy to have a dog to pet and snuggle as she'd moved from a home where they had 2 dogs. When we were getting ready to leave she very politely said "It was great seeing you but you just leave your dog with me!" :lol: :lol: Many of the residents stopped to comment on Pippa as we were leaving but at that point Pippa was OUT OF THERE and just wanted to join Layla back in the car. I was so proud of her and plan to take her back next time we visit. Layla, on the other hand, may be a work in progress!!!!
Last edited by Cindy on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Therapy Dog??

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:49 am

Sure sounds like a natural therapy dog to me :) Heartwarming story even if it is a one-time event. The next visit should tell the tale. Must say that I am constantly amazed (but not surprised) at inexplicable sensitivity to certain situations that a dog will display, even on the first exposure. I know you will give Pippa another chance to "prove" herself.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Therapy Dog??

Postby MaggieRocks » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 am

Just proves my theory that a smiling Brittany can make anyone feel better! Hurray for Pippa!
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Behavior