7 week puppy who won't sleep at night

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

7 week puppy who won't sleep at night

Postby mlynn27634 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:30 pm

We got Rocco 2 days ago. The first night was not too bad but around 4am he started whining. I did not realize my husband picked him up and put him in our bed. Now he won't sleep in his bed or in a crate. He cries if I put him in the crate. I got a smaller crate and I can get him in it if he is already sleeping. I have heard to cover the crate after you put him in for the night. I am dreading the nights. We have potty training just about mastered. He is very attached to me. Any ideas? I welcome all suggestions.
mlynn27634
Puppy

Re: 7 week puppy who won't sleep at night

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:50 am

He is still a very young puppy who was probably still sleeping with his littermates when he came to you...so he's used to having lots of warm bodies around him when he sleeps. His crying is perfectly normal...He is learning a lot right now and needs routine, consistency and patience, patience, patience from you...He probably needs to go out and potty once or twice overnight...I would insist he sleep in his crate overnight and during the day for naps...puppies need 18-20 hours of sleep a day...amazing, but true...a lot of times, we find that puppy biting/wildness/frenzy is a signal that the puppy needs a nap. Puppy may not want to stay in his crate, but he needs to learn and just like human babies, if he cries and then gets what he wants, he will cry more...it is very hard because they are so cute and can seem so pathetic...if you ignore his cries when he is in the crate (making sure he doesn't have to go potty), he will settle...
use the search function on the upper right of this page and you will find lots and lots of great advice...there are also a lot of good books out there, but I would advise you avoid those that base advice on "dominance" ideas...instead, use positive approaches where he gets a positive reinforcer (i.e. a tiny bit of food) for good behavior, like going in his crate...you might even practice tossing a bit of food in his crate, let him go get it and come out and then do it again, so he learns his crate is a good thing...One more thing--try to get your puppy into a puppy class as soon as possible...
Congratulations on your new family member! Puppies are wonderful, although we all have moments with puppies when we wonder what on earth possessed us
to take this on :shock: Let us know how things are going...this group is an understanding sounding board...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby dfwskier » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:11 am

I agree with Barb, he is used to sleeping with his litter mates - their warmth and heart beats. What worked for us in the past is to try to recreate that environment by putting a hot water bottle and old fashioned ticking clock in the crate. Good luck with it.
dfwskier
Puppy

Postby mlynn27634 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:17 pm

When he wants or needs a nap he wants to lay on my lap how he did when we brought him home. If he falls asleep on my lap should I put him in the crate? Until he gets used to the crate how do I get him to go in? How long do I let him scream? He eats in his big crate but it is too big for him and I want him to sleep in our bedroom. He lays on our bed until we are ready to go to sleep. Last night he slept in the little crate with much crying both of us. I really want to succeed at it. The house training is going good unless it is raining. He doesn't like it and won't go potty it has been 45 years since I have had a puppy. I rescued my other two Brittany.
mlynn27634
Puppy

Postby dfwskier » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:30 pm

I'm not sure that two different crates is a good thing. Two different crates might be confusing. Dogs are "den" animals. Most like the perceived safety of a den. So you have to get him to like his den. Feeding him in his crate is a good step. I'd start throwing treats into his crate to get hm to go inside on his own. Put his toys in the crate. He'll figure out that good things happen in the crate. Put some articles of your clothing that contain your scent in the crate so he can sleep with them.

I won't try to answer the question of whether you should put a sleeping puppy in a crate. I have no experience in the matter, so I'll leave it to others to try to answer that one.

Good luck.
dfwskier
Puppy

Postby mlynn27634 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:41 pm

I agree that the two crates might be confusing but what do I use at night. Is he old enough to stay in the big crate downstairs? It is a crate that he will use when he is grown. I can't find a divider for the crate. Any ideas how I can partition it off? I do have a hoodie I could put in the crate. I don't want him to go to the bathroom in his crate.
mlynn27634
Puppy

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Two different crates will not be confusing....the smaller one is upstairs in the bedroom for sleeping, the other is downstairs for day use. You need to have him near at night for the next couple months to make sure he gets out to go potty if necessary. It is much like having a newborn human, you need to be attending to him pretty much all the time. You do not want him to have to pee in his crate at night because he can't hold it....that would make it your fault, not his.

If you do not intend to feed him in his daytime crate for the rest of his life then don't start it now. Feed him where you intend to feed him as an adult dog. Use treats to convince him that being in his crate with the door closed is a good thing!!! Just don't leave him locked up for too long of periods of time, especially in the beginning.

You sound a bit stressed.....you need to grasp that he is not going to learn all this stuff in a few short days. Put on your patience hat and just make a plan for the training issues and stick with it. Keep in mind also that you and your husband are now his "pack". As he gets older he will gain confidence and you will find that he can be left alone in the crate(s) for longer periods of time. But right now you need to realize that 1. His world is topsy turvy 2. He doesn't have really full control of his bladder yet, can only hold it so long. 3. You will need to repeat the training issues daily as his attention span is going to be short. 4. Try to get him into a puppy class, positive based training will help a lot, playing with the other pups is very important so he learns bite inhibition, and it also serves as exercise and a tiring out aid. Plus the trainers should have some specific ideas for you as they will have a better handle on Rocco and his personality. 5. Socialization with other dogs, other people, other places, events that take place outside the home, all of these are very important in the early months.

Try to relax and enjoy the quiet moments, but have a plan for including Rocco in you daily life and still get some of the training done.....5 minutes 10 times a day rather than long stints where his attention can wander or he gets too tired. Just some thoughts which you can modify to fit your lives.

There are volumes written about puppy training....it's is hard to condense all the issues here so you might want to pick up some books for reference. I can recommend Pat Miller and her books on positive training, everything from puppy hood on will make a great suggestion source for you. And of course, still give us a chance here to try to help with your questions too....almost everyone here has done "puppies" and can relate to you well :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby mlynn27634 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 am

Update. Rocco fell asleep last night before we were quite ready for bed. My husband ook him out and then he brought him in our room. He was wild which meant he was tired. I calmed him down and he got sleepy. We put him in the little crate and he went right to slerp and only got up once. I was stressed but also very tired. I work with him at least five times a day with his training. He knows sit and come. (Most of the time) My biggest fear is the crate training. I don't want him to hate it. I will feed him outside of the crate where we will normally feed him. Does anyone have any ideas how to partition a big crate without a divider?
Thank you for everyone`s help.
mlynn27634
Puppy

Postby dfwskier » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:21 am

mlynn27634 wrote: Does anyone have any ideas how to partition a big crate without a divider?

Sounds like Rocco is making progress. Congratulations. To answer your question, you could put an empty cardboard box in the back of the crate.
dfwskier
Puppy

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Great update----glad to hear that Rocco is starting to settle in and get the routines figured out :)

I'm sure there are quite a few reasons why some dogs "hate" their crate, but think that most of that stems from being forced to spend long, long hours in them with no respite, or they have been teased or hurt while in their crates with no way to escape, and so the crate becomes a trap to them. Introduced to the crate properly, like you are doing, most dogs like their crates as places for peace and quiet, and where they are safe. As time passes I think you will find that Rocco will occasionally seek out his day crate for naps. In any event, dogs do need to learn to at least tolerate being crated as there will no doubt be some times in their lives when the crate is mandatory for their safety. So, you have a check mark in the positive column because It is such a positive sign that he wakes you up during the night if he has to go potty.

Oh, and about the rain....when he balks at going out in the rain just pick him up and take him out to someplace where he has gone potty before and plop him down. There should be enough odor to stimulate him to go, and after he does just turn and head back to the house. I'm sure he will follow you and this way he should get past his being fussy about getting wet. Worth a try anyway.

Looking forward to hearing about more progress reports :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:33 pm

So glad things are going better! I agree that with Barb about the crate. Our first dog, Sam, whom we adopted when he was about 3 yrs, always slept in a crate in our bedroom, eventually with the door open. In his later years, he developed laryngeal paralysis and mega-esophagus and would have trouble breathing. He was also terrified of noises-- firecrackers, smoke alarms, beeps on the oven, etc. When he was afraid, he would run to his crate...it helped him feel safe from the noises and when he was having trouble breathing, he could calm down in his crate and breath again...literally life-saving. Gage has had to be on prednisone because of chronic bronchitis. Side effects made him voraciously hungry. For years, we have left both dogs loose in the house while we are gone and they are fine, but with the prednisone, Gage began getting into all sorts of things. we tried to be careful about what we left out, but he always seemed to find something. not only annoying, but more importantly, upset his stomach...So, we got out a crate, leave it in the living room where he can look out the window and where JJ naps, and crate him when we leave...he goes in happily, gets a frozen bone stuffed with dog food and often when I get home, he is sound asleep...again, literally has protected him from himself, although perhaps not the best decorating accessory. :lol: So, I share those stories with students in our puppy and family dog classes as I encourage people to use crates. (JJ sleeps in a crate in our room, with the door open--he chooses to sleep there most of the night.)
And good for you to recognize that Rocco's wild behavior meant he was tired :D :D :D
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby mlynn27634 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 am

We have had Rocco almost two weeks but it seems longer than that. He sleeps from 10pm until 5am which is when dh gets up for work. He takes him out and brings him back to our room for a snuggle then back in the crate while I get dressed. Today I thought he was asleep when I put him back in the crate and I thought the crate door was shut. I closed our bedroom door and went to take a shower. Much to my surprise Rocco met me at the bedroom door. :D
We are working on training and he us doing very well. I have a deaf friend who has a 15 yr old Brittany. Rocco stays there for the 5 hours I work.
Rocco is outgrowing the little crate in our bedroom. I have a larger one we are working on training in the dining room. I also have a metal one that was our old Brittany Hunter. Should I put a larger crate in the bedroom?
As far as decorating with crates we put a tablecloth over Hunter's crate in the dining room and pug plants in top of the crate. Most people didn't know it was a crate and Hunter liked the den atmosphere. We called it the dogterrium :D
mlynn27634
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am

Great news! sounds like the routines are getting established and Rocco is settling in :D I would put a larger crate in the bedroom...he is still a baby and needs to be contained in a safe place unless you can supervise him, but obviously needs to be comfortable. I love the decorating ideas :lol: :lol: :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby mlynn27634 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:47 am

Rocco is 15 weeks old today. He has settled in pretty well. His personality is starting to show. He is VERY talkative. He gets manic right before he goes to sleep. Trying to figure out how to calm him down. I try training him but too crazy to focus. He also is at the age where he doesn't listen. It is like he forgot all the training. Anyone have a good training Books? I have Pat Miller's book but would like another one
mlynn27634
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:43 am

I like anything by Karen Pryor (clicker training). Her basic Don't Shoot the Dog is a good place to start. We also use Clicking with your Dog, by Peggy Tillman is our classes...
I had to chuckle at your observation that Rocco has forgotten his training...we move our puppies to a Puppy Elementary class at 4 months...new developmental stage...becoming teenagers and "forgetting" training is exactly what happens...don't worry..."This too shall pass..." Just keep up what you have been doing (probably dropping back to earlier stage as if you were staring to train), stay positive and be careful not to accidentally respond to/reinforce negative behavior. So, when Rocco demand barks to tell you he needs a treat, attention, play, etc. be careful not to respond even by telling him to stop; or if he jumps, don't push him off...often those responses, from the dog's point of view, are reinforcing because they are attention. If you watch puppies play, especially as they get older, they often bark at, jump and push/wrestle with each other...so if you push your dog down or "bark" at him, he thinks you are playing...focus on reinforcing the opposite, appropriate behavior, i.e. coming over to you and sitting, keeping 4 feet on the floor. And remember that even though they are physically bigger, they are still young and need supervision...As far as "manic" wildness, one thing to practice is "chill." Snap his leash on, step on it, make it short (allowing only enough room to sit stand or lie down) and wait...he will learn that he needs to "chill," i.e. relax and "hang out." He doesn't have to sit or lie down or any specific behavior...think of it as if you were on a walk, ran into a friend and wanted to chat while Rocco amused himself sniffing, enjoying the sunshine, etc. He learns that the sense of relaxation/calmness is pleasant.
Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are doing...sounds like things are going great (and the "bumps" are very normal and expected).
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Next

Return to Behavior