How much exercise and what to do

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Postby adele » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:53 pm

I read about Brittanys before I got one. The key everyone said is exercise. So okay, I'm willing to run her for 1/2 hour every morning and take her for a 20 min walk at lunch and an hour after work. I look forward to occasional hikes on the weekend. The breeder said that would be enough.

Right now she's only 10 weeks old. She has tons of energy in the house and wants to play all the time. Trouble is she only wants to play "Rip my pants". She'll return a ball a few times then gets bored and returns to "Rip my pants". She doesn't seem to enjoy walks much, I spend the time coaxing her to follow. Every once in awhile she perks up and initiates a game of "Rip my pants". So, what can I do to get her the exercise she needs? I have the time to spend with her but can't find a game we both enjoy. The books say not to play tug of war. Puppy classes don't start for 2 more weeks.

Oh, and my hardy hunting dog does not like to be out when its raining.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby kat » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:27 pm

Tug of war is difficult because many times it isn't played properly. It can increase aggression. It's also a game we play frequently if we have a dog who enjoys it. You want to make sure a few things always happen: That you always initiate and end the game, with you in control of the tug toy. That means you end up with it, never let the dog keep it at the end. And that you only use a specific tug toy. You don't want the dog to start chewing up everything. Also, if the dog does get too aggressive, stop the game. Our Golden loves it, and has even played tug with toys with his favorite Golden pal (that's fun to watch). We've never had a problem, but I understand that there can be. It'll be interesting to hear what everyone else has to say on this.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:28 pm

The 'rip my pants' game made me laugh! From my experience, my Britt did not appreciate walks until he was a little older - maybe 4 or 6 months. At that point, he still really liked 'rip my pants' but also enjoyed a good walk or run. So I could at least minimize the pants ripping by running his pants off first.

As a babe, I did play tug of war, still do now once in a while with no adverse affects. They are hard at that age to occupy. She will become more interested in outside pleasures as she gets a little older.
Sandy
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:47 pm

I borrowed this from Karen or one of our very knowledgeable Brittany owners / foster care people "A tired Brittany is a good Brittany" . You have a clean slate with such a young pup and getting them focused at such a young age is difficult . Have patience and would wear a sturdy pair of jeans so that they don't get ruined . I would play tug with her with a specific rope toy or something , but don't let her tug on everything . I've never had a young dog develop aggression from playing tug , but wouldn't be suprised if this occasionaly happened . I would follow what Kat said . The not liking rain will probably subside . I don't blame her though being in the rain is miserable . Dogs don't have hands so their learning experiencs are from everything in their mouth or that big cold nose being stuck in your crotch sniffing :roll: :lol: Patience , love and little steps in training with repetition .Also use treats ,praise and rewards for good behavior . Have Fun and keep us posted . :P Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:26 pm

Bully sticks! And lots of them! When everyone in my house starts running around rough housing from cabin fever or lack of exercise, they all get bully sticks (or rawhides...yes, I know, not the best treat, but a necessity around here sometimes).

I find that chewing really helps relax a dog and burn off some excess energy.

Kongs stuffed with peanut butter or cheese wiz would probably also work really well also.

A good chewy can get you 20 minutes of peace and quiet, and then maybe a puppy nap too. Stock up!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby harleygrl1219 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:43 pm

When Synder was that young, I would bring her to a ballpark that was fenced in and bring a rubber bone and I let her run her little legs off until she was soooooooooooo tired!

I also bought her tons (I mean tons) of toys from petedge.com (very inexpensive) and that kept her entertained. You just need to watch that she doesn't tear the toys apart and get at the squeeker. Synder didn't start tearing her toys up until she was about 8 months old.

I agree with Karen. My house is never without bullly sticks!!!! I am not sure if she is too young for a bully stick though! I also give Synder rawhide (I know it's not the best) but I also am with her when she eats it and if she is calm and quiet I am HAPPY!!!!!!!

Well, good luck with your new pup! Enjoy her!
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:53 pm

Lynn,
I love that new picture of Snyder :) . I'd like to have a full of spunk female to play with Levi . Every time I get him around older males they beat him up cause he is so willing to play . I wish I had Rusty back sometimes . Rusty is a 5 yr. old male I rescued from Idaho I had for 6 months . He played well with all my foster dogs even the Devil dog little females :P . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby JimC » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:45 pm

I'm by no means an expert but every bird dog trainer I've talked to has told me not to play tug of war with a dog I plan to hunt with. Unless of course I want to play tug of war with birds.

Ryker hates going out in the rain. He doesn't seem to mind looking for birds in wet woods or wading into ponds for a drink when he's out chasing birds. When birds are involved he doesn't care how wet he gets.
JimC
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby JudyK » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:40 pm

ROFLOL......Love the "Rip my Pants" game :lol:
JudyK
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:52 pm

Hey Dave,
I've got a spunky little female here for ya!!! Well, as long as Levi knows how to stand up for himself, anyway. Sally Mae and Buster love to play, but when she decides to be a bully, poor Buster runs for his crate and won't stand up to her.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby janjan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:44 pm

clive is 4 and supposed to be 'sick' and he plays 'rip my pants' all the time. he taught his new brother how to do it and it gets ridiculous around here. mostly for my husband (he he).
but they are sooooo cute....
janjan
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Kathy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:54 am

The advice I have to offer is what happens if you don't control the "tug-o-war" game. :( Duke loved to chew on everything ... and he did chew up furniture, comforters, pillows ... and my robe. He would tug on my sleeve and I'd let him. (My robes are heavy cotton). Anyway, sometimes when he was mad or bored, he'd find my robe and chew on it. ('Course, it didn't help that I spilled breakfast foods on it.) The result? One very chewed up robe. Which I wore for years. Then got a new one for Christmas, as my family really thought it hysterical that I continued to wear a tattered robe. (I'm the type of person who really wants to get my $$ worth). Well, at 11 years old, Duke will still occasionally chew on my (newer) robe. And while it isn't as tattered as the previous one, the chew areas are pretty obvious.

I'm curious, are all Brits chewers, or was my Duke an extreme exception. (He chewed up a lot of things - we just got new furniture when he was 10 & thank goodness, he doesn't chew much anymore, 'cept on my robe now and then.)

-Kathy
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby dmedric » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:33 am

I think it depends on the dog. We got our Max at about 2 years old. He's never been a chewer. He'll chew on a bone occassionally, but has never touched the kids toys or anything else in the house.
dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby adele » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:47 am

Four months! Are you serious? Four months before I can tire her out with a walk? Well, my husband will shoot her long before then. I know, I know, a tired Brit is a happy Brit. Well, I'm willing to do my part. Lola's going to have to pick up her end.

On a slightly different tangent, one of Lola's favorite things to do when we enter the house is tear around and around the house. Down the hall through the kitchen to the living room, back to the hall and around and around and around. Its fun to watch and she really isn't hurting anything and she seems so happy! Thing is, I know that whats cute now isn't going to be cute when a grown dog with muddy feet tears around the house. So, I know, I have to stop it now. She also gets great pleasure out of "Rip my pants". Her little tail is going and her bum is in the air. In fact, everything she really enjoys I don't want her to do. Does anybody else get tired of sucking the joy out of puppy's life?
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:24 am

Sorry - can't help with the exercise concern except to say that invisible fencing has worked wonders at our house. The dogs cvan tear around 4 acres to their heart's content!

As for the running around the house ... our first rescue dog Annie did this from day one right up until about 3 months before she died. The speed declined over time but the routine was the same. It used to get my husband so mad, until she stopped doing it. Then he missed her antics! We just called it the Brittany crazies and I always got a good laugh when I saw her do it. Guess my question is - is there a reason you don't want her to do this?? I'd just wipe her feet off before she comes in and let her go have fun. Just think - it's a form of exercise and maybe it will help release some of that energy!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Next

Return to Behavior