Counter Surfing

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Counter Surfing

Postby Gaffney Girl » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:31 pm

Ok...now I believe that my Jenny-girl is an absolute angel (ha ha) but her halo is partially askew...I can't get her to stop counter surfing for the life of me. She will never do it when I am in the room. Other than not leaving anything on the counter is there anything I can do to straighten out her halo. Honestly, when I adopted her I had no idea what it meant until I caught her hi-tailing it out of the room with a full block of cheese in her mouth at our first dinner party after we adopted her. She knew she did something wrong and proceeded to fall over and wait to get beaten...something coming out from one of her previous two homes I believe. I didn't let her keep the cheese (and didn't serve it to my guests either!) but her reaction was so severe I didn't want to correct her. Now, 2 years later she knows that she will never get hit at our house but continues her "surfing career". Help! What have you done to stop this behavior?
Gaffney Girl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Lisa » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:10 pm

Well, I think I've FINALLY found what works for Buster. Now, he's a counter surfer extraordinaire. Last night, I was EATING a burrito, and he jumped up and grabbed the bottom of the burrito and took a bite!!! Yeah, he got scolded and put in a time out for that....fortunately, I managed to discipline before I started laughing.

But, when he's just got his paws up on the counter, checking things out, I've found that just squirting him with the squirt bottle is most effective. He really doesn't like getting wet, so one squirt gets him to sit and look confused. I don't say anything, I just ignore him completely. My reason for ignoring him is I want him to associate paws on counters with a squirt, not paws on counters AND me in the room equals getting in trouble.

Then, once he's been sitting, being a good boy for a few minutes, I'll go in and give him a little treat or a little lovin'
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Beth » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:19 pm

With foster that have had this issue, I have lined the counters with the hard plastic plates so that when they get up there they will take a few down with them and it is noisy and scary and I know what they've been up to. Now, it is a pain in the butt to work in a kitchen that is so lined up but it works! A friend has also used vaseline or baby oil so that it is slippery and icky on their pads. I think that is a bit messy if they high tail it to the carpet. I'm usually not quick enough to be in there with a squirt bottle but have had good results with the plates. Good luck.
Beth
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:25 pm

Oh, one other suggestion I've had is to put the plastic carpet protectors either on the floor under the counter, or on the counter, with the pointy side up. It's uncomfortable on their little feet, and they won't want to stand on it.
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:47 pm

I didn't let her keep the cheese (and didn't serve it to my guests either!
Heck I would have wiped it off and served it with crackers and beer :P . Enough beer and no one would care :lol: . Get a long range squirter , such as a megablaster squirt gun . Go ahead and bait them then position your self for a direct shot . It usually only takes a couple of good blasts . If you have a smart Brittany they will look over their shoulder a couple times , then they forget . Good luck and keep us posted . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jen » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:10 pm

Dave,

I too would have served it to the guests :lol:

Have you tried double sided tape? Dogs and cats hate touching the sticky side, and its easier than a squirt gun(in case you are in another room when the dog decides to taste the groceries)

On the flip side of that, now that my old girl has passed on, I don't have a single counter surfer in the house. Imagine my amazement when I came home the other day and the steaks were still on the counter and the half loaf of bread was on the floor(untouched). Not that I normally keep the bread on the floor, it must have gotten blown off by the wind. If Denali was still here, the bread would have been eaten, and the steaks would have been gone. Its been close to 14 years since groceries have been safe on the counters.

Jen
Coda - our forever foster dog
Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Gaffney Girl » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:14 pm

I have tried the squirt bottle routine but it seems to deter her only when I am around...I think my husband would like the idea of hiding out with the Super Soaker though Dave! I am afraid that I might become the victim of his attacks :shock:

I like the idea of the hard plates coming down because she does it mostly when we aren't in the room. She knows she isn't supposed to do it and is being sneaky. SO that way it would startle her and let us know that she was in her "Stealth Mode".

Truth be told...if I could have passed off the cheddar as a new doggie drool brand I would have but there was WAY to much slobber on it. My friends are all laid back but even I couldn't pass it off.... :wink:
Gaffney Girl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby swillow66 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:20 pm

Last night, I was EATING a burrito, and he jumped up and grabbed the bottom of the burrito and took a bite!!!

What is it about Britts and burritos?? I would be GLAD to pass Riley's title (given to him from Hank) to Buster. Hank grabbed the burrito from the counter, Riley grabbed it from the trash, Buster while you were actually eating it!! So guess what . . . Buster is now the NEW Burrito Bandit!
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world
swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby HOPE » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:23 pm

Dave wrote:
I didn't let her keep the cheese (and didn't serve it to my guests either!
Heck I would have wiped it off and served it with crackers and beer :P . Enough beer and no one would care :lol: .

Hahahahaha just to funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess they will never know :lol: :lol:

Last night, I was EATING a burrito, and he jumped up and grabbed the bottom of the burrito and took a bite!!!

Ok we have now instead of the Three Musketeers we have "The Three Burrito Bandits" co-starring Hank, Riley and Buster :lol: :lol:
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year
HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:34 pm

I left a stacked soup cans in a pyramid as a trap. I ended up with a broken canister and one dog who never tried to get on counters again. That was over 15 years ago and that dog is gone.

Now I have two brazen Brittanys who engage in counter surfing - but when I am in the kitchen. Wanabee cooks, I guess. Both get "off" when I tell them to, but I have been cooking for years and feel qualified to make dinner by myself. :D
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:07 pm

So guess what . . . Buster is now the NEW Burrito Bandit!

Noooo!!! He already has enough nicknames...I don't want to encourage his behavior by calling him the Burrito Bandit.
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby Catharina » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:56 am

Gaffney Girl wrote:I like the idea of the hard plates coming down because she does it mostly when we aren't in the room.

You might try to add some classic conditioning to that: Buy a lemon-scented cleaner (supposedly dogs hate the smell) and wipe your counters with that before you set up the "plastic-plate-boobytrap". With some luck, she will associate the smell of the cleaner with the plates coming down, and you will eventually be able to just keep using the lemon-scented cleaner without having tippy piles of plates everywhere.....

Kibo, a.k.a. "The Flying Nose"
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Kristy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Nice timing on this post!

Last night I came home to find two, new FULL perscription bottles chewed apart. 1 had all the pills laying on the rug, a few with some chips missing but all pills accounted for. The other bottle, with 60 pills, couldn't find a single one. I looked outside and couldn't find any, but we have a large back yard and they are tiny pills. I leave all 3 dogs loose in the house while at work, they use the doggie door and have access to the back yard which has a 6ft privacy fence. I was gone 10+ hours yesterday. All dogs acting normally when I got home, called the vet and they told me to watch for signs of increased respiration or lack of pupil change. I called the chargable poison control line just for added peace of mind and they said the same thing. It was a RX for hypo thyroid , which they use in dogs, and apparently it would have been a big dose, but not necessarily toxic depending on if they "shared" the pills between them. They were fine last night and ok this morning. Whew!! No more pills on the counter, even if pushed way back I guess. I know who the culprit is, Daddy long legs, loaf Colby. He also managed to knock off a 12 pack of pop which was 3/4 way full.

I think I need to get some carpet proectors. I don't think a water gun or plastic plates is the answer for them.
Riley & Colby
Kristy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Kathy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:18 pm

Kristy,
Please be careful! A while back there was a post about the same problem ... but with more urgency. See: PLS Keep your drugs/vitamins/etc away from your dog's reach http://forum.americanbrittanyrescue.org ... php?t=1657

-Kathy
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby hankaroo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:04 pm

HOPE wrote:Ok we have now instead of the Three Musketeers we have "The Three Burrito Bandits" co-starring Hank, Riley and Buster :lol: :lol:

Hey everyone! Emailing from the beach in Wildwood, NJ. Kind of yucky weather, but good times (although the two nephews have reminded me why we have 2 cats and a dog--hehe :wink: ).

I haven't had time to read all the posts I've missed but I happened to catch this one. I can't believe all these Burrito Bandits we have!!! :lol:
I miss Hank soooooo much and can't wait to see him this Sunday. I've only called to check on him twice (my husband has talked me out of calling the rest of the nights :roll: ). He's doing well and having fun with the other dogs and "grandma and grandpa". They did say that he sat at the door when we left and whined for about 30 minutes--I hadn't gotten teary until I heard that :cry:. Who knows what names he'll have after I hear the stories of what he's done.

Hank says that he would be more than willing to share "Burrito Bandit" with everyone else.......he wants to start a burrito club and see how many members will join. :P

Talk to everyone soon!

Hankadoodle
hankaroo
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Behavior