Urinary Incontinence

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Urinary Incontinence

Postby Cindy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:18 am

Help! My 2 year old Kayla (spayed female) has started peeing in her crate at night! This just started about about a week ago. Nothing is new, no changes around the house, and she seems perfectly normal. I am all too familiar with the problem of incontinence in female dogs who have been spayed. But this seems awfully young and sudden. Could she have a urinary track infection?? She has always been a "heavy drinker" and we did have some problems when we first adopted her last November. At that time my vet ran several tests, but everything checked out OK. Suggestions??
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Mike S. » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:22 am

Rosie has had one accident in the house (not in her crate) and come to find out it was because of an urinary/bladder infection?. She seeked my wife out who was in another room and was trying to tell her she had to go out - but the poor thing could not hold it. She went right there. We knew it was not like her so we took her in and sure enough she had a temp and a few other symptons so the vet gave her some antibiotics and she was fine ever since.

Good Luck.
Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:30 am

Sounds like a trip to the vet is warranted, and under the circumstances, you'll probably want to collect a urine sample the day of the visit for analysis.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby juliette » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:06 am

My 2 year old Tucker had the exact same problem as Rosie. It too turned out to be a urinary tract infection. The vet told us to bring in a urine sample from the first time she went in the morning. Apparently that one is the best for testing. Good luck with Kayla!
juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Peeing in crate - Not a UTI

Postby Cindy » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:39 am

Just back from the vet with Kayla. She does NOT have a urinary track infection or anything else that the vet could see wrong. He believes it's the spayed female incontinence issue and wants to try her on PPA for a while. After recent discussions on that subject and drug, I'm not sure if I want to do that. Any other suggestions?????
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby britsforme » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:50 am

Well shoot! Would he even consider a round of antibiotics? Maybe it was a bad urine sample.
Gretchen

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. ~Mark Twain, letter to W.D. Howells, 2 April 1899
britsforme
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:18 pm

Get another urine sample, and be sure you collect it properly. Then get another opinion, differenct vet, different lab.

Also, do not allow any water less than two hours before bed time. And make sure she goes out for "one last potty" just right before bedtime. See if this helps.
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby DonnaP » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:45 pm

We have that problem with my folks' female - she is "addicted" to water hoses (she goes crazy and gulps water) - then later on she has the pee problem :oops:

I am thinking as she is a gulper, maybe that is the problem? Can you limit the amount of water she can drink at one time (a friend's gal is the same way so she only puts out half a bowl)
DonnaP
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Dave » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:36 pm

DonnaP,
Hi, I would check on some things such as diabetes or even kidney failure . I lost two dogs to kidney failure and one of the first signs was excess drinking and then of course urination due to the amount of water going through . My old girl would drink a quart at a time and come back an hour later and do it again :? . If this dog gets picky about eating along with excess drinking this is red flag :!: . Just some thoughts . Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby kat » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:25 pm

I would definitely check out all these options mentioned, but if it does turn out to be the ol "spayed female" thing, don't be too scared of the PPA. I agree, she is awfully young to have this, but our Britt went on PPA several years ago and did wonderfully. It's cheap, effective, and we didn't see any side effects. Now she's old and has a heart mumur, so can't take the PPA, takes DES instead. DES I wouldn't give a young dog, it does have some potential bad things, but for us, for our 14 yr old, it is the best option.
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Behavior