Bill and Star's Tip for Leash Pulling

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Bill and Star's Tip for Leash Pulling

Postby Hayley's Mom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Was checking the discussion board at "Bill and Star's" website. Someone asked why he sometimes had Star's leash looped around her tummy in a couple of informal pictures.

Bill explained that Star pulls so hard on her leash that she chokes and coughs -- a familiar experience for lots of Brittany owners!

So ... here's his technique. Clip a long leash to the collar. Run the leash along the dog's back to her waist. Hold it in place while you loop the leash away from you around the dog's tummy. Slip the leash under the spot where you where holding it on her back. Now it's hooked in place ... and away you go. No special halties. Just a leash and a nicely walking dog. Any tugging puts some pressure on her tummy. No tugging. No pressure.

We tried it tonight ... wow! And so simple.
Hayley's Mom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:28 pm

:lol: :lol: 8) The same technique used on a horses' head is called a war bridle :lol: :lol: Whatever works 8)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Canned Ice » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:25 am

I learned that technique at the flyball tournie I went to. Choking gasping lunging dogs are a common site there. Someone stopped me and Buckley in the hall as I was trying to convince him he should sit and not drag me around and looped the leash around. It's great, so easy and you can do it on the fly when your normally well behaved dog is being a total butthead.
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:05 am

I learned that technique at the flyball tournie I went to. Choking gasping lunging dogs are a common site there

I always get such a kick out of the dogs at flyball tournies!! I think it's hysterical to see a dog, leash in mouth, walking backwards and tugging with his handler as they try to walk out for a potty break. Makes me feel like mine are absolute angels!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby AuntieMom » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:52 pm

I am not coordinated enough to do that. :?
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby bacaruda » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Wow, great tip! Eager to try this out after work tonight.
bacaruda
Puppy

Postby Myra » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Usually this technique is called (very simply and aptly :wink: ) the "leash wrap".
Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby adele » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:14 am

I've used it with Lola. Didn't stop her and I started to worry about damaging her internal organs :lol: :lol: .

One word or caution. A year or so ago we went on a long hike and I forgot Lola's harness so used that method. On the way home she was unusually good, stopping full stop every time the leash went tight. Checked it out and she had a leash burn around the side of her tummy just by her legs. I wasn't very proud of myself then.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:22 am

We just came back from a hike and tried this with our girls - AMAZING!!!! Worked like a charm.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to Behavior