Male or female?

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Male or female?

Postby Brendainnj » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:00 pm

My family is thinking of getting a Brit puppy (sorry, not rescue) for our next dog. I was pretty neutral on the gender, but I've read a couple places that say the males make better family pets? Could anyone share their experiences with either?

BTW, if this board is only for rescues, I'm sorry, my bad--is there another forum available for all Brittany owners? I didn't come up with much when I searched. I've only had Labs before so I'm looking for a reliable place to obtain information from REAL owners, not just write-ups in a book (which never seems to tell you the negatives! lol)

Thanks!
Brendainnj
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Male or female?

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Brendainnj wrote:..BTW, if this board is only for rescues

Nope, we're Brittany folks, no matter how we came by them :) Lots of adopted Britts here, lots of Britts raised from scratch.....we even have Honorary Britts (other breeds living in a Britt family) :D

On the male/female issue, my take is it is all going to depend upon the dog's personality, not their gender. And a lot depends upon what people want/like in a dog too. When you get a puppy you just never know how it is going to go....but over all, Britts make wonderful companion dogs, even the ones highly trained for hunting love to hang out with their folks at home. Britts are "can do" dogs....if you are doing it they want to be there "doing" too :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:42 am

We've only had females (except 1 Britt/Springer cross) and ALL have been wonder pets and family dogs. I love my girls and wouldn't have it any other way. On the other hand, I've met a number of males Britts and they have all been great too. As Barb said, it just depends on the personality which, unfortunately, you can't always tell about when they are puppies :)
Kayla, Layla, and Pippa

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:16 am

Welcome! We have 3 brits. Two, we got as puppies from reputable breeders. The third, we adopted from ABR. Our first 2 are females, and DH said he would have nothing but females. (And Maggie is the best pointer around for those who think only males can hunt :roll: ) Sammy was 9 or 10 years old when we adopted him, and he is just as sweet as the girls.

By the way, not to talk you out of a brit, but...if you want a book that tells you both good and bad about breeds, check out "Paws to Consider" by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby dmedric » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:48 pm

I have only had male Brits, both rescues. I just ended up with males, not because of any preference, but because something about those dogs drew me to them. They have both been sweet, wonderful family pets. Keep your options open.
dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby MaggieRocks » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:13 am

Hmmm....that came straight from Wikipedia. Do you own a brittany, fredmarble?
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Brendainnj » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am

Ha, I thought the same thing...I saw a "new" post & got excited as we are now almost on a waiting list for a puppy. Funny for all the blah blah blah which I've already learned, nothing about the M/F.

I think it will come down to what the breeder has available....
Brendainnj
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 am

I think what "dmedricd" said...."keep your options open".....is the best advice when going for a puppy. A really good reputable breeder (who generally have a good take on the puppies by the time they are ready for sale) will have some input about what they think the pup seems like personality-wise. Also, be sure and spend a good deal of time with the pups, around a couple hours (if they stay active that long :wink: , so that you really begin to feel an attraction for a particular one. There might even be one pup that seems to be "attracted" to you.

You are about to begin a fantastic journey, and sometimes the heart is the best of guides :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Lisa » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 pm

I could have sworn I posted in this thread, but maybe I read it and meant to get back to it later. Oh well...

I've fostered many Britts of both genders and have owned both as well. I currently have a young female Britt and an older male Britt. Here's my impressions...in general, the males tend to be more cuddly and focused on people, while the females tend to be more independent. The males also tend to be a bit more soft personality wise. BUT, there are exceptions...my current female is a total snuggler, she is always in my lap or curled up with me. I think some of that behavior is just the way I raised her...I wanted a snuggler, so from the day I got her at 10 weeks old, I encouraged her to sit in my lap or snuggle with me. I also asked the breeder for the puppy that wanted to be with people the most.

Both genders make excellent family pets, it just depends on what kind of personality you want in that pet. Figure out what you are looking for (a snuggler, an independent dog, adventurous, etc) and then let the breeder know which personality traits are important to you. They can look at the puppies and help you decide which might be the best fit.

When I was looking at the litter to pick out my girl, I was totally neutral about gender. My requirements were that I wanted a moderately sized Britt, a little wide in the rear (for agility), curious, one that wanted to spend time with people, and not easily frightened or too soft. The breeder was worried that the boys would all be at the top of the breed standard, based on a previous breeding, so that shifted my focus to the girls. Once I met the girls, I knew which one I was taking home, just based on how they interacted with me.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty-CGC, TDI
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Brendainnj » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Thank you for all the feedback...really I'm neutral here, but it's my husband who is pretty set on a male, thinking that the girls will be moody. We are currently waiting to see where we end up on the "wait" list so if the choice is only a female we will probably go that route, since it's an excellent breeder and the dogs are gorgeous. I never thought to ask about a dog that wanted to be with people; I only requested one that was more on the calmer side. That is a great point; I'll be sure to bring that up to the breeder! I just assumed all puppies love people :D
Brendainnj
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Lisa » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Brendainnj wrote:I never thought to ask about a dog that wanted to be with people; I only requested one that was more on the calmer side. That is a great point; I'll be sure to bring that up to the breeder! I just assumed all puppies love people

All puppies do love people, but if you want a pet rather than a field trial dog, or a dog that's going to stick close to you rather than one that wants to range far away, then you want a puppy that is more interested in spending time with people than going off hunting. Since I do agility, I wanted the puppy that would go out in the yard, explore a bit, and then come and check in with people and hang around with the people. If I wanted a dog for hunting, I probably would have looked more at the dogs that ran off and explored and didn't check in as much. The puppy I ended up with was the one that went out, explored, found a leaf, and brought me the leaf, then climbed in my lap. All the other pups were still out exploring the yard and less interested in me than the environment.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty-CGC, TDI
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Return to Behavior