Delicate talk about intact male

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Delicate talk about intact male

Postby adele » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:06 pm

I never wanted a male dog because I hate those darn penises. :oops: :lol: So, my questions are, how much control does he have over that thing? Can he be trained to keep it sheathed? Will it pop up less often after he's fixed? I was thinking of knitting a little penis cosy to keep it covered. :lol: (I am fully aware that my feelings are a little weird).
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Delicate talk about intact male

Postby Lisa » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:11 pm

adele wrote: how much control does he have over that thing?

Not much. For male dogs, it typically comes out when they are excited, aroused, happy, and sometimes even stressed.

adele wrote:Can he be trained to keep it sheathed?

Well, in theory, you can train anything and animal is physically capable of doing, but I'm not really sure how you'd train this one! Plus, it's kind of an automatic response, so you'd almost have to train a dog to control their emotional state or the physical reaction to their state, and I just don't think dogs have the capacity to understand that.

adele wrote:Will it pop up less often after he's fixed?

Possibly. No promises, though. With him being an adult already, even without the hormones, his body is conditioned to respond in certain ways to certain events. He might become less aroused, so it might not come out for that reason as often, but it just depends on the dog. Buster was neutered at like 16 weeks, and his still comes out when he's aroused, excited, happy, or stressed. Usually, it's a signal for me that Buster is in a higher emotional state, and I will take a moment and help him calm down...as he calms, his penis re-sheaths.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 am

Ah, just one of those "nature of the beast" things you have to learn to ignore if it is bothersome :P And it is a case of "some do/some don't".....luck of the draw :lol: If it makes you feel any better, I have a friend whose poodle, in his later years, couldn't sheath it completely at all and she had to keep it lubricated, yep, several times a day :shock: Neutering has little-to-nothing to do with it, and since it is an unconscious action I really doubt you can train them to consciously keep it sheathed.....touching it will make it retract so perhaps it is possible. But really easier to teach yourself to accept it and ignore it.....so many plus's negate the one negative :D

Glad to hear Lola and Tramp are getting along....am sure it will just get better as time passes. Dogs, for the most part, really do like having another dog to communicate and be 100% dog with.

How about some photos??
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby janet909 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:26 am

I also think that all dogs are different. Moby rarely if ever exposes his. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've seen it in 11 years. He was my first male dog so you can imagine my surprise when Wes arrived and gave me the full view one day. That being said, with 3 males, I can't say that it happens all that often. Usually when there is a big play session between Shep and Wes one of them will get excited but not always). If I redirect their energy, whoever is excited quickly calms down. Honestly, this only happens 1-2 times a month so no big deal.

I'm so thrilled that he's found a home and is getting along with sweet Lola.

Oh, I don't think, personally, that knitting a penis cozy is a very good idea. They need to clean themselves and would probably find it quite irritating. I would let nature be.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 am

I just want to know if there is a market for a "penis cozy"!!! :shock: :lol:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 am

:lol: :lol: I think the closest you will come to that is a belly band, which would work :wink:
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby janet909 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:27 am

Barb Wright wrote:Neutering has little-to-nothing to do with it, and since it is an unconscious action

Wow, I guess I would have assumed that neutering had a lot to do with it. Wouldn't the frequency of excitement have a direct relation to whether or not they are fixed. I am not doubting your statement in any way as you have much more experience with dogs than I do. I'm just finding the statement very interesting. I never would have known this.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 am

Excitement/stimulation covers a large field of emotions, sexual being only one of them. The unsheathing of the penis is not only a sexual event, the gamut of emotions that dogs experience can elicit the exposure. So, neutering cuts way down on the sexual arousal exposure, but still leaves all the other emotions that may cause unsheathing, and again this really is almost always an unconscious expression. So, with neutering you have only eliminated one likely emotional response. Interesting anecdote, I have personally seen a neutered male breed...do the whole routine, timely tie included.......only of course no puppies resulted. So, with an experienced male (a male neutered after having bred a time or two) you still have not totally eliminated the ability to connect with a female in heat. That really explains how powerful the hormonal draw that a female in heat can be. FYI A female absolutely will NOT let a male enter unless she is not only in the heat cycle but actually ovulating at that point in time. The heat cycle lasts about 3 weeks, ovulation usually occurs over a 10 day period during the heat cycle, give or take.

Well, I digress.....I think Lisa gave good examples of the different situations that can bring about penile exposure. A lot of male animals let it all "hang out" from time to time. You see it in horses, geldings as well as stallions, steers/bulls, etc. It just comes back to "some do/some don't", and only they really know why :wink:
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:31 pm

All I can say (after reading this discussion) is I'm glad I have girls!! The worst I've ever had to worry about was inappropriate humping! But I've certainly been enlightened!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adele » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:12 am

Ya, I sorta figured it would be like teaching them not to wag their tails... With Tramp its not 1 or 2 times a month, its 5 or 6 times a day. :oops: He's a very good dog otherwise so I guess I'll have to learn to ignore it. (It's just so ugly :roll: :lol:)
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Something you CAN teach him, though, is to calm down...which will help him "put it back in" more quickly.

I taught Buster the word "chill" and that means that he needs to just lay down and relax. So when he gets overly aroused for any reason, I'll get him to focus on me and ask him to chill. He'll usually lay down and settle, which helps lessen his state of arousal.

For Charm, because she screeches when she's excited, I'm teaching her to first close her mouth, and then take a deep breath. Same principle, if I can teach it, in that she'll be learning a way to calm down with a cue from me.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Just think of it as a happiness meter. That's what I tell Tracy. Then she reminds me it's no where near a meter long. BTW...a good brisk wind can have the same affect ...so I guess it can be a meteorological device too, like a weather vane. ;p
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Oh...we were talking about dogs. :oops: :P Well, if it's anything like a man's, try what Tracy does. Ignore it. It will resolve on its own. :wink: 8)
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby janet909 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Bahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Sorry, folks, but had to do it. :) But, seriously, I think it's only a problem if it lasts longer than 4 hours.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Next

Return to Behavior